Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Upcoming PvP changes

Just now, Stormcrow said:

Just fix the bugs and that's good enough. Multistory buildings are a lot of work, they should provide some added defense. What drives people insane is spending the man hours knocking down all the walls on multi story longhouse and having bugged parapets/floors preventing you from removing the structure. Just fix the bugs.

*mumbles something about retrograde mentioning battering rams before*

That change isn't JUST becouse of bugged stuff i think... :)

Just now, Zekezor said:

lets be real here, all it would do is cause ninja attacks and stealthed alts checking local at deeds.

Its pretty shitty gameplay without the deed warning system since its litterary pve instead of pvp then. (but i wouldnt mind a delay on the warning msg though)

That's true. It's tough to stop ninja night time raids while still not giving everyone twitter style warnings, which are kinda stupid.

We need to find some middle ground. :P

28 minutes ago, Brunwulf said:

Raiding is tedious because the mechanics are tedious, and haven't been improved in years.

Improve on those instead of just making it easier to bust down players hard work.

Multi-story housing effectively broke the mechanics of raiding by providing up to 16 additional houses to tear through in order to get in to a deed. Logic and gravity both suggest that if you've managed to wipe out the supporting layer of a house, the rest should feel some sort of pressure to collapse.

If I had to suggest anything, it would be to tick damage on higher walls until the supports are replaced. The damage would radiate out from the weakest point. Thus the walls directly above an area lacking support would go first.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bangzuvelis said:

SOTG - 7months of grinding +2-3s (90ql cloth), plate set - 5-8s for 90 ql. I dont know... Once again, why should I go for SOTG?

you're assuming players are buying their gear

idk about on chaos but on epic at least we got stockpiles of gear and just grab a new set out of the knarr when we die ezpz

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Madt said:

That's true. It's tough to stop ninja night time raids while still not giving everyone twitter style warnings, which are kinda stupid.

We need to find some middle ground. :P

Eh, I think it's fine. If someone lives at the deed, as was the case even with Dark Citadel, then it's not much of an issue. I think every time we were attacked, even with small numbers, someone was online. 
Just would promote actual villages, and if you want a wardeed you'd have to have a little bit of commitment and have people live at/in it.
This would restrict the amount of landlock that the server currently has, too. Because almost all of these villages don't have players in them.
Opening up much of the server to conquest and promoting villages being in locations you actually want to hold rather than anywhere you want to plop a deed & have the ability to travel to when the alarm pops.

I'm still for the idea that deeds should be lived in, not placeholder things that you pour money into.

Just lower Sotg to about 25% reduction instead of trying to make a new feature out of it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

cuz you can run 70% faster.

53% faster but yeah i agree

• Like 1

Just now, Sharkin said:

Just lower Sotg to about 25% reduction instead of trying to make a new feature out of it.

35% to match power's potential ability, but with the promise of actually balancing the rest of insanity so we can refer to it as insanity and not gone because insanity could have something else actually useful

Like remove clean wound, it's trash.  Move fill to level 4.  Keep random teleport on either level 7 or 9, and pick a new ability for the other

• Like 2

Just now, Alexgopen said:

53% faster but yeah i agree

If you wanna be more accurate (instead of thinking 10vs17 which i did lazily) it's 17.28vs10.9 (on cobble) which is 58.53% faster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrGARY said:

35% to match power's potential ability, but with the promise of actually balancing the rest of insanity so we can refer to it as insanity and not gone because insanity could have something else actually useful

Like remove clean wound, it's trash.  Move fill to level 4.  Keep random teleport on either level 7 or 9, and pick a new ability for the other

timed ability to ignore fall damage for 10 seconds 24 hour cooldown plssss

• Like 1

(Not a PvP player but a couple thoughts...)

I think raising prices on deeds (increasing how much they have to pay to play) is a horrible idea.  Most $$ wins the game.

I think embarking while in combat should always be an option.  If you embark to run away and save your life, then your opponent better try shooting you full of arrows or go chase you down.  "oh crap, I got targeted, now magically my horse is broken!"

For SoTG, I've been thinking about why it exists and how RL would work in those conditions.  First off, you are essentially insane, to the point where you can't feel pain or even realize you are taking serious wounds, but sooner or later, blood loss or limb loss catches up to you.  Also, when in that state, you don't really notice the benefits of healing - you are insane!  So, how could this play out in the game and not be over powered or ruined if changed?

Being a burst tank - you charge insanely into battle and only take 50% damage or healing, but as the hits keep landing on you, the effect weakens and you must rest/heal up to recover the full power of your insanity.  So you rush the enemy lines, fight like mad, then fall back for a minute or two to recover.  Might even create an SoTG specific stam bar.  Every hit you take in succession, with out fully resting up, will lower that bar. The lower the bar, the less DR.  Conversely, as the bar lowers, heals progressively regain towards full effect.  So after 10-15 seconds getting beat on, you lose all DR and can get full heals from LT and spells.

Stopping battle to rest does NOT recover it fast like stam.  It is a slow recovery, like watching your meditation timer.  It also won't recover while in any form of combat, so you can't go shoot arrows and recover.  It only goes down from taking hits.  Misses will not drop the bar.  Bigger hits drop it more than little hits.

Anyway, there in my 2 cents on PvP, form a PvEr.

There is nothing wrong with SotG, but if a change had to be made then let it scale per level as others have suggested.  This will allow new players to receive benefit sooner and allow incentive to reach the Gone goal.

• Like 6

if SotG is too powerful... what about this one?

Intellect of the Enlightened

Gained at level 11

All skillgains are permanently increased by 25%, with the exception of Fighting skill and Faith. Characteristics will also gain this boost

it s the same level, so one character - for the same effort put into - gets a permanent bonus, however the other one with SotG merely can use his bonus within a fight, which happens maybe only during less then 5% of your play time...

i don't think it should be changed

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zekezor said:

If you wanna be more accurate (instead of thinking 10vs17 which i did lazily) it's 17.28vs10.9 (on cobble) which is 58.53% faster.

woops yeah my bad i did it in respect to the % speed reduction as 96.75/63.01

cloth Speed Reduction: 3.25%

plate Speed Reduction: 36.99%

If SOTG gets changed, I wouldn't even bother with any other path then knowlegde. Is all I'm saying, not even hate would be worth my time.

55 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Tower capping.

Currently an easy way around it is simply kiting the guards around while one solo person caps the tower, if the action cannot be interrupted, we could simply require that the guards be killed within the time limit,

If the problem is the focus on only one person leading the guards then why not make it some sort of counter that allows up to x guards on one person or perhaps a timer that makes some of them focus on others nearby after an amount of time.

The same problem exists with Spirit Templars and Spirit Shadows by the way. If you can get all of them focused on one person who is riding a fast hell horse then the remaining attackers can execute their attack while the first guy just runs the guards in circles. Not hard to get them to focus on one person if you send that guy on to deed 30 seconds before the main force attacks.

If you "fix" this for capping towers, also fix it for attackers coming to deeds. 

Retro:  In an early remark you pointed out a desire to make raiding less tedious being the basis for some of these propositions; however, that ignores the purpose of many raids is not simply to drain and get stuff -- some have the objective of total destruction.   It happens on Chaos, it happens in WU.  In some cases, the flattening of a deed is done because one kingdom wants the land.  In other cases, it is purely griefing.   I think a lot of players know this, have experienced it, or have dealt it out.  This is the underlying thought process around the criticism of the 'attacking easier' goals.

1 minute ago, Wargasm said:

Quoted for truth. 

that 5% of playtime where it counts though will severely affect what you do in your other 95%, depending on whether you die and are trying to play catch up, or if you can go about business as usual

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Galatyn said:

There is nothing wrong with SotG, but if a change had to be made then let it scale per level as others have suggested.  This will allow new players to receive benefit sooner and allow incentive to reach the Gone goal.

I like the scale idea too. I also would like to actually have to make a choice of path instead of just picking the only real choice. Make the other paths better so that I have to actually think about what choice I want to make.

• Like 1

dont know fellows. I am against SOTG massive nerf. Even though I was in a losing kingdom with 3 vs 30 SOTG accounts. But to throw min of 7 months of grind to hear its getting nerfed, because someone came from WOW and believes he should get level 80 from the beginning of the game... I mean new players are already getting better weapons and armour than some of us can make with their skills... 

If I knew SOTG was getting nerfed (so much?), I would have chosen POK, and would have walked around with maah 90 body str instead and a possibility to sell maah acc for a huge $

Edited by bangzuvelis
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nappy said:

I like the scale idea too. I also would like to actually have to make a choice of path instead of just picking the only real choice. Make the other paths better so that I have to actually think about what choice I want to make.

You could always incorporate a catapulting damage boost for PoH to make at least one PoH user preferred to be brought along for PvP.
Of course, I'd prefer if it wasn't a passive catapulting damage boost but it still wouldn't be Gone level.

It would probably beat whatever the plan is to change catapulting easier for everyone like Retrograde possibly mentioned, and it would make PoH more PvP like, again still not compare to Gone at all.

2 minutes ago, bangzuvelis said:

I mean new players are already getting better weapons and armour than some of us can make with their skills... 

Also this, like I can't even make a 50ql longsword because Weaponsmithing is tedious to grind.
Why are they given a decent weapon for free just by starting?
If you're going to give them a 50ql anything it should be small axe, which has been nerfed into the ground by the CR nerf it gives you.
You'd see nobody complaining about giving newbies small axe 50ql, or even probably 70ql.
That thing is useless until someone fixes it.

Edited by SkirmishesThreadOnly

22 minutes ago, Sharkin said:

very good idea

*munch on some candy*

I still think this was a 10 times better sotg change.

On 2016-03-08 at 7:23 AM, Zekezor said:

Okay so crazy idea here. so hear me out.

What about changing the meditation passives obtainability alltogheter

prenote for those bad at math:

1/0.7= 1.42    

1+0.45 = 1.45

So how about making passive meditation powers be gained PER LEVEL starting with 2.

2% dmg reduction increase per level of insanity. ranging from 2 to 15 and resulting in a 30% dmg reduction (0.7 modifier)

hate on the other hand get 3% dmg increase per level and results in 45% dmg increase at level 15 (0.45 modifier)

Slightly alter the level 12 skill requirements and beyoned into

75->80->85->90->95 (instead of 80, 90, 90, 90, 90)

Thus giving newer players more incentive to work on their meditation since they can see the rewards contineously.

Do the same with the love path, knowledge, power passive ofc. (14% healing for love resulting in 2.1 and 1.5% skill for knowledge resulting in 22.5% and 3% stam reduction for power resulting in 45%)

Basicly let the passive "level up" as you progress and thus not requiring the full grind as a "requirement".

This would also lower sotg players hp by about 30% and put the reduction on even grounds with the dmg buff. (yes, 20% less reduction will give 30% less hp. 1.42 vs 2. its math.)

oh and make the max cd between questions 1 week. let players experiment between paths if they have worked for their skill, why add a anti-fun time limit to stuff?

Edited by Zekezor

At 25% its still better than any other pvp bonus. Gotta look at it from all angles and not just "agaghh i took so long to get and its being nerfed"

Personally i like the non magical healing approach to it. It actually encourages tactical thinking, removes sotg boat dominance and makes the other paths usable. However i would also suggest increasing hit-points across the board or lowering base weapon damage as the output far out weighs the ability to absorb damage for medium (50 body) accounts

Probably would want to remove champ stacking with any meditation bonus longterm aswell

Edited by Postinglels
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:
  •     Remove Information minister. +1 if it means removing "enemy entered your territory"
  •     Remove all teleportation forms on PvP servers (including home servers). -1 keep twigs, rebalance karma teleport with some of the many suggestions. like not with enemies in local of deed, only after the player has been part of the deed for x days
  •     Remove archery penalties or scale according to individual armour pieces. remove it completely, its stupid.
  •     Disable embarking on vehicles or mounts while in combat with an enemy players. -1, mrgary mentioned good reasons why it would break boat pvp. the commander dies, noone can disembark and reembark, so you're just sitting ducks waiting to die. while boat pvp might not be the most common for of pvp it sure is a form that occurs pretty often. maybe limit it to carts/wagons? so horses and boats will remain the way they are. i dont see problems with those two.
  •     Addition of Archery keybinds. +1 this isnt a pvp only change but a qol change
  •     Remove stun/throw from valrei mobs. hmm this ones hard. while being kicked off the horse and down a mountain can kill you, being kicked out of aggro range and the valrei then being attacked by tower guards you called can occasionally safe your live. but they really need to be changed in a way that they dont instantly get a hit in once they catch up to your horse while the player has to be in range for ages to start attacking.
  •     Make nolocate on bodies work similar to jewellery with power determining % blocked. Cooldowns on searching for same person. +1 if the cooldown is reasonable
  •     Remove disintegration requiring token drain and remove magranon bonus. thats a point that needs some more talk i guess. +1 to priest balance tho.
  •     Creation of a “verbose” combat tab option, including extra information such as Area of Effect spells, Direct target spells,     karma and meditation buffs, etc +1 good change
  •     Raise deed costs on PvP servers to limit expansion by simply placing multiple deeds to conquer towers depends on the increase. theres a lot of deeds that arent just placeholders which have a rather big size, maybe try to tweak this with initial deed creation cost rather than a huge increase of upkeep to not affect existing deeds too much? edit: oh just read its gonna be that way. doesnt sound too bad then.
  •     Scale scenario point rewards according to mission type (sacrifice, drain, traitor, tree) then modified by whether server is friendly, enemy, or elevation no idea, let the epic players comment on this
  •     Make uniques focus points of missions, or giving kingdom based rewards for slaying kingdom rewards dont sound too bad if this affects chaos. otherwise the freedom cluster missions arent really, well, worth it i guess.
  •     Change battle rank to only be given through kills, not through missions or capping towers/camps
  •     Make destruction of longhouses easier, focus on less tedium when raiding and promote faster raids. +1 to changes to raids, but just changing how fast the walls pop probably doesnt make too much of a difference. what really needs a change is the fact that repairing the damage done to a dirt wall over the course of a day basically only needs minutes by a repairing crew the same size. 3 dirt leveling up to 1 dirt leveling down. balance?
  •     Make chaos and possibly home server merchants tauntable +1 to chaos, but itll probably only lead to more f2p storage alts.
  •     Remove speed bonus from logged off alts on boats on  PvP servers +1 for sure
  •     Have tower guards target whoever is trying to capture the tower. Require killing of guards before tower is captured. first sentence sounds weird. doesnt spawning new guards that will easily interrupt it make capping basically impossible?

Shield of the Gone

SotG has been a long term issue with PvPers, and it is quite clear that it is too powerful in its current state.We currently have two proposed changes, which are listed below:

• Reworking SotG to only work with Cloth or Leather armour, moving a SotG character to being lighter without sacrificing protection (being slightly more than steel plate, but lower than scale/moon plate) yet not be the current tank that it is.
  • Alternatively, remove the ability to heal from Life Transfer and all healing spells. This moves the SotG character into a strong fighter in a short melee, but in drawn out conflicts becomes very fragile.

The first choice is bad, as in really, really bad. If you remove damage reduction from SotG but keep it on Champs, then what is a very old/good skilled champ in scale with smoke of sol and glimmer helm/huge axe? its basically a giant stomping around in a kindergarten.

the second choice will probably just mean they have to back off more often to heal themselves with bandages. the only option would be to remove life transfer heals and spells heals AND bandage heals, which would just mean you could delete shield of the gone from the game anyway.

2 hours ago, Sharkin said:

nerf it slightly, to about 35% sounds fair. Also make it a gradual bonus as suggested here:

this would not only make it easier for new players to get into pvp only but into meditating and wurm as a whole.

2 hours ago, Zekezor said:

oh and make the max cd between questions 1 week. let players experiment between paths if they have worked for their skill, why add a anti-fun time limit to stuff?

soooo retro, can we talk about fixing the ridiculously, utterly, completely broken enlightenment again here? you already have the skill so why make it so tedious?

Edited by Arium