Sign in to follow this  
Ramaraunt

[WIP] PaintPack Texture Pack

I've been teaching myself how to make painted textures in blender. Some of them have been rather nice, while others need some work in my opinion. I might eventually make a Wurm texture pack. If anyone knows how to do this and wants to help, please send me a forum PM.

Some examples:

thatch_c_by_ramaraunt-d9tny7t.png

bricks_f_by_ramaraunt-d9thexr.png

woodplanks_by_ramaraunt-d9supce.png

Edited by Ramaraunt
  • Like 1

Photoshop, GIMP, Krita, Painter, etc will be the best choice to hand painted textures.  
You don't need to use 3D paint softwares to make hand painted or tileable textures, you can, but you will have better results if you just use one software, i use photoshop.

Hand painted texture (and texture in general) is based on the reproduction of materials. So to have a good painterly feel, never use filters, only brush and eraser, observe and reproduce all kinds of material.
Always use references!!, even if the paint is fully stylized or cartoon.

Don't paint with mouse, use a tablet like a wacom or any good one.
Control the brush hardness and opacity/flow as needed and understand values, light, shadow.

To paint good textures, it is good to practice painting various materials into a cube, cylinder, sphere or other shape (aways using a light source). 
This will train your eyes on observation (aways use references, real or digital *photos*), light, shadow, values, and will give you more experience to recreate all kinds of material.

Avoid relying on tutorials!!, paint and draw is pure training. if you know the foundations, you know everything you need. You will always be able to develop your own techniques and style doing it over and over.
Don't rush, take your time, use all the time you have to learn.  when you are confident, make challenges for yourself. you can you paint in 5 minutes? 

Simple is better, try not start a paint with detail. Big shapes + values and slowly the details will appear.
Try paint the same thing several times from start to finish, without using anything from the previous painting, every time you will be better and of course faster.
From time to time, rotate, zoom in/out and flip the canvas. It will "clear your eyes" and you will see the paint differently, spot errors, etc, aways work :D

Exercise painting materials like all this below, it's really fun! and you will learn a lot.

Spoiler

642711705b3ea0fc647071c3e71e17fd.jpg

0beb12b36f1f1ef7cab52408e0c0fe03.jpg

34affd1d30d3ce03fa80c25b11d5c522.jpg

Timelapse video example.