Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Cave dwelling testing!

I found this on WU test server so it may not apply.

When building inside the cave, I started mining off level. I could not level the tiles because they touched a reinforced floor. I could not remove the reinforced floor because it touched a structure.

The only workaround (outside of removing the structure) was to mine out an extended area beyond the crooked tiles and mine down or use concrete and come in from the opposing side in adjacent tiles.

This may be WAI but it is a lot of extra work when expanding. I would suggest possibly that if a reinforced floor tile is flat, the tile mined from that reinforced tile next to it would be flat. 

Is there any new things to test or is it the same as it was before? I had seen people talk about bridges is that in yet and any word on maybe letting us build next to cave walls? i guess i need to hop on and test but the last time i was there i could not even start a house on a supported tile anymore.

Edited by Kegan

5 minutes ago, Kegan said:

i could not even start a house on a supported tile anymore.

I fixed that issue.

I've not looked into bridges in caves atm, for same reason as putting houses next to cave walls. I will have to ask the team to see what their thoughts are.

• Like 1

Well will be nice if we can make house just by cave walls...

• Like 1

Also woul be even more nice to allow us place token insite of caves atlast for pve

46 minutes ago, Sila said:

Well will be nice if we can make house just by cave walls...

Seriously, how long have we been waiting to live like dwarves or hobbits? 

We should be able to do as we please in our deeded caves, including fencing, bridges and walls against rock

• Like 1

Fencing is a technical issue. There are no borders in mines. Without them, you can't make a fence. The arched wall supplies the border to use them. 

That said, I don't understand why we can't build against a cave wall unless it is for PvP reasons. 

10 hours ago, Audrel said:

Fencing is a technical issue. There are no borders in mines. Without them, you can't make a fence. The arched wall supplies the border to use them. 

That said, I don't understand why we can't build against a cave wall unless it is for PvP reasons. 

For pvp and griefing reasons I am sure.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Audrel said:

We're actually looking into building against cave walls with limitations.

There's obviously a lot to consider (we have to think like griefers!) But its something being discussed

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

We're actually looking into building against cave walls with limitations.

There's obviously a lot to consider (we have to think like griefers!) But its something being discussed

7 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

For pvp and griefing reasons I am sure.

I didn't think of griefing because you can break supports off-deed (I think?) But I did think of PvP as catapults probably don't work in a mine. I haven't tried but... I can imagine it. haha

Have you ever tried to disintegrate a reinforced wall?

Not for the faint of heart. ;)

On freedom off deed mine doors can be bashed out, a gate house in front can limit this, but if someone reinforced the walls of a mine and built a gate house inside the mine, it would be closed off 100% pretty much, with no way to deed over to remove reinforcements, and a priest has very little chance of disintegrating reinforcements.

• Like 1

How would that be any different then building the gate house on the outside of the mine? Well i guess the fence around the mine entrance would be the weak point but most people wont bother.  I guess if they wanted they can make it so that anyone can mine a reinforced tile if it is off deed and is next to a house?  

I am sure they will figure it out but being able to build right next to a cave wall will make or break this new feature in my opinion.  

• Like 1

It seems a bit pointless to prevent building up against walls in PvE.  If folk want to block an area in they can already (gatehouse + deed which just locks more space up) and nothing is going to stop them really.  It might be worth letting people build up against walls on their own deed (or deeds the have permissions for) in PvE, then just let people mine through tiles next to a structure that is offdeed (in the event of deed decay).  This would remove any new griefing issues (they can already deed-minedoor so issues do remain) and, since it would be a PvE only feature, PvP balance does not come up.

On 4/14/2016 at 0:43 PM, Kegan said:

How would that be any different then building the gate house on the outside of the mine? Well i guess the fence around the mine entrance would be the weak point but most people wont bother.  I guess if they wanted they can make it so that anyone can mine a reinforced tile if it is off deed and is next to a house?  

I am sure they will figure it out but being able to build right next to a cave wall will make or break this new feature in my opinion.  

Well rather than use a ton of reinforcements in a mine, one could simply mine a 3x3 around a vein and build a donut around it.

Just now, JakeRivers said:

Well rather than use a ton of reinforcements in a mine, one could simply mine a 3x3 around a vein and build a donut around it.

They still can do that with the one tile gap thing it just is a 7x7 instead of a 3x3

Well you could do the 7x7, it involves clearing out a 9x9 though, and enough reinforcement beams to shore up the grand canyon.

• Like 1

The rather small amount of ores I see in any utmosts I have yet found, hardly worth a 7x7 donut and 9x9 reinforcements on ground and walls.

29 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Well you could do the 7x7, it involves clearing out a 9x9 though, and enough reinforcement beams to shore up the grand canyon.

well it is a 7x7 room with only a 5x5 house is needed..

The point is this already can be done so there is no need stopping a feature over something that can happen anyway. Everything i can think of as a griefing tool can already be done except the doughnut house and that can be done with or without the gap. They would have to stop allowing doughnut shaped houses again is the only way i can see to stop that.  

Edited by Kegan

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:14 PM, Kegan said:

well it is a 7x7 room with only a 5x5 house is needed..

The point is this already can be done so there is no need stopping a feature over something that can happen anyway. Everything i can think of as a griefing tool can already be done except the doughnut house and that can be done with or without the gap. They would have to stop allowing doughnut shaped houses again is the only way i can see to stop that.  

Ignore dat crazy talk there...

If building against cave walls were to happen, what would be the effect of a dropshaft forming over someone's house? With no roof could people then just drop in?

Also, has anyone tested Erupt on tiles above a house?

Cave walls that are under the tile that is erupted will change into lava walls. This includes reinforced cave walls and ore veins.

-Sorien

Edited by Sorien

I'd suggest to make it impossible to shaker orb reinforced cave floors.

4 hours ago, coolecola said:

I'd suggest to make it impossible to shaker orb reinforced cave floors.

Well, that would definitely change PVP -- but not in a good way.

53 minutes ago, DrB said:

Well, that would definitely change PVP -- but not in a good way.

Can you enlighten me? 

I don't see using money to remove reinforced walls+floors in an instant or blocking enemies while fighting as clean PvP. There are spells for the exact same purpose which require skill, all templars dead and a casting time.

On 29/04/2016 at 6:27 PM, in Weekly News #17, Retrograde said:

Not to leave out other testing though

• Cave dwellings will also now allow building against walls!

This will be for on deed caves only, and mining will be possible through arched walls and doors. We'll have the original testing area setup for some planning and I'll be available to help out as well.

Just so we don't loose sight of this...