Sign in to follow this  
Arvid

Change merchants to hold their goods in a designated "warehouse"

12 hours ago, Arvid said:

It appears you're missing an important part of my suggestion. The "serverwide browsing" I'm suggesting is strictly that. It's stated in the OP that this would not include magical mailbox-like delivery, so this would not affect the mail order hermit at all. "Serverwide browsing" would strictly be for discovering which merchants has the items you want. So if you find that both your neighbours merchant and a merchant 2000 tiles away has bricks, chances are that you'll go to your neighbours even if he's slightly more pricey. "Serverwide browsing" is primarily meant as a fairly convenient way of finding goods for those players who isn't interested in spending time trawling the forums for offers.

I think we are looking at the same issue with different perspectives, On your side if server wide browsing was enabled, then it would make the world smaller and more pinpointed.  Also smaller merchants would get ignored because of lack of quality or quantity of bricks.  Say I start producing bricks and put out 300, not a small amount, but someone has been cranking out bricks and lists 5000.  People will more likely go to the merchant with the higher amount and only seek the lesser merchant in "desperation" or will wait for the bigger merchant to restock.  At least with localized browsing you can know what's for sale on a deed market area, and it would encourage people to pursue crafts to supply people.

Now on the Server wide browsing you will have faster access to rare goods but also the bulk of trade will be conducted by the larger bulk merchants.  You will streamline trade, but also you will encourage multi server conglomerations.  Which may or may not be bad depending on your view.