Sign in to follow this  
Pottis

Change SOTG + poll

I agree SOTG needs some serious changes  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Sotg needs some serious changes

10 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

what kingdom is that?

Every kingdom i've ever been in won't let you go on a boat into melee without SOTG as you're dead weight.

9 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

actually its easy to enforce... make a rule that says we ban you if you do it, then start banning them when they do it... once a couple have been perma-banned just the fear of being banned will detour 90% of account sales

EVERY other game in the world does it... its not as hard as you people make it out to be

Except, you have no way to prove they're doing it. "Oh look at the IP's" and then eventually you catch a few people who actually moved and you lost customers and eventually you will ###### up and hit a high profile streamer or something who moved and thats tons of bad PR. A lot of companies have been releasing games with no trading as of late because they can barely catch RMT for items. It's a hell of a lot harder than you think.

Once again, it's not relevant to the argument at hand.

also there is an edit button.

Edited by Propheteer

or even an automated temp ban... on suspicious activity like the spy prevention: but instead of 5 mins, make it 48 hours or 72 hours that the account is locked so it can be reviewed and compared to the rest of the IP's of the wurm players, obviously if a player has moved the new IP will not match someone elses IP... this wouldnt be an issue at all...

SOTG is fine, and its not a meta for pvp, i dont have sotg, infact im path of hate and i pvp... so when you see magical 50dmg wounds appearing on your head thru your seyrl helmet just look for my huge ax of DOOOOOOM

12 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

or even an automated temp ban... on suspicious activity like the spy prevention: but instead of 5 mins, make it 48 hours or 72 hours that the account is locked so it can be reviewed and compared to the rest of the IP's of the wurm players, obviously if a player has moved the new IP will not match someone elses IP... this wouldnt be an issue at all...

SOTG is fine, and its not a meta for pvp, i dont have sotg, infact im path of hate and i pvp... so when you see magical 50dmg wounds appearing on your head thru your seyrl helmet just look for my huge ax of DOOOOOOM

I wonder who you hit for 50 damage, an 80 body account with an adamantine huge axe and true strike did at most barely above 30 to me and that one was a rarity (which is just about fully healed in two or three hits with an lt small maul.) I guess if he had path of hate it wouldve done that much, but he wouldve died in about six hits anyway so at the end of the day its irrelevant.

He must not have shield of the gone i guess, or you got lucky and crit him if you didn't use true strike.

I'd love to see how successful you are as path of hate though, would you mind posting your name so i can browse through skirmishes?

Edited by Propheteer

10 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Maurizio-  The videos do NOT further your point, in fact it's the exact opposite.  The videos illustrate that intelligence and "PvP IQ" can be more beneficial (or detrimental) than SoTG.  SoTG does not fix stupid.

Also, your stance that new players should basically be on the same level as veterans with years of experience is absurd.

Do you know how to read? Im sorry if you feel this is an attack but seriously have you actually read what ive been saying at all? 

I have never said new players should be at the same level as a vet. But at the same time new players should not be a nusense to have around. Most comments to new players is get good.. Grind for a year get Sotg and get good. Thats a great way to get a server populated. 

And those videos work exactly with why my opinions is that SOTG should not be super nerfed but tweaked with some balance such as having to use a shield for it to be active. Balance of paths so there is a bit of counter to each other (that does not mean exact equal) would further allow for PVP IQ to prevale.

And im sorry again but i think anyone who thinks SOTG doesnt fix stupid is crazy. Your argument can be that a bad decision even on an SOTG account can cause your death but you cannot remove the FACT that an SOTG account can make a ton more mistakes then a non sotg account and still have the possibility to walk away from it. Its for these reasons why the tankiest toon should not be able to also output the most power as well. (in this case my suggestion about having the ability to use a 2 hander and still have the highest DR intact)

Balancing to the point where more tactical decisions are needed to be made, you then have a bit more player skill that becomes invovled and those videos at that point would be even better to watch as good decisions would be able to play a part in turning a fight.

2 hours ago, Evilreaper said:

actually its easy to enforce... make a rule that says we ban you if you do it, then start banning them when they do it... once a couple have been perma-banned just the fear of being banned will detour 90% of account sales

EVERY other game in the world does it... its not as hard as you people make it out to be

Wow great solution. I'm sure some magician will conjure up the method of detection to tell the exact player. It's not like people move houses or play at different locations or anything :rolleyes:

Or have a new ip with every single login due to pooled ips and are possibly playing from randomly assigned workstations 

How did this thread turn from SOTG into lets ban everyone thread?

Btw will SotG really receive a significant nerf? Did devs state that anywhere?

Edited by Simyaci

No, because next thing to be nerfed will be the 50% healing buff from PoL.  

51 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

No, because next thing to be nerfed will be the 50% healing buff from PoL.  

not really overpowered in any manner unless you have a lot of big wounds as opposed to small ones.

it has a counter, unlike SOTG.

aosp armor + fb small weapon = have fun with ur pol kek

but even if you did offer a reasonable argument in this manner, balance is a circle. something will always need balancing but it keeps the game interesting.

this is like saying "we shouldn't add two story houses to wurm because next we will have collidable towers."

Edited by Propheteer

Just make all meditation ticks 100% and bump up the skill gain a little bit.

What sets SOTG apart from other skills/stats is the 5/day + 3 hour delay limit with the non-guaranteed tick.  While a casual player can grind out other stats with sleep bonus, you can't really grind out meditation & the questions in casual playing mode.  The people playing all the time can get 6-7 meds a day in for 1-2 ticks but for someone who only plays 2-3 hours a day then you're never going to get there.  That is the hurdle that drives a desire to change it.  It isn't that it is overpowered, it's that it is virtually unattainable to a casual player (you aren't getting there in the minimum time the wiki tells you) and that keeps the casual new player non-competitive in PVP unless they are willing to spend hundreds of dollars to buy an account and then even more to prem it up.  At least for priests, you can spend 2 hours online each day and get all of your prayers in and pretty predictably work your way to 70 faith or so.  I would imagine the same suggestion if you had a random "well, 70% of the time you won't get a faith tick, but we're going to limit you to 5 prayers per day."  The all-day gamer can get their prayers in, do sermons, etc, get 6-7 med attempts in, blah blah.  I've had 2-3 days go by without a med tick with 7+ per day -- and that was in the 30s, not the 60s!

Make meditation like faith so the variable is the question timer and it's fine as is -- 5 meds per day, you get a tick, not affected by sleep bonus or CoC. 

10 hours ago, Propheteer said:

I'd love to see how successful you are as path of hate though, would you mind posting your name so i can browse through skirmishes?

There were no results for your search. Try broadening your criteria or choosing a different content area.
evilreaper top pvper
can 1 hit a cow

maybe

• Like 1

I have never said new players should be at the same level as a vet. But at the same time new players should not be a nusense to have around. Most comments to new players is get good.. Grind for a year get Sotg and get good. Thats a great way to get a server populated.  

You can't have it both ways.  Either you should have to work toward being good at PvP (skills, stats, gear, etc) or everyone should be handed a scale set, SoTG and fantastic glimmer weapons when they step through the portal.

Guess what?  You don't have 99 blacksmithing and 99 mining the day you walk through the portal.  Pretty sure meditation, SoTG, body stats and PvP skills should work the same way.

If you want instant gratification for new players, go play WU.

Balance of paths so there is a bit of counter to each other (that does not mean exact equal) would further allow for PVP IQ to prevale.

By your own admission, SoTG is not the problem.  Lack of choices are the problem.  So again, why nerf it just because it's the only path worth choosing for PvP?  Why screw up the one thing that IS working?

Your argument can be that a bad decision even on an SOTG account can cause your death but you cannot remove the FACT that an SOTG account can make a ton more mistakes then a non sotg account and still have the possibility to walk away from it.

There's little mistakes and there are big mistakes.  Little mistakes are "oops, I am missing a boot and my opponent is hitting me in my left foot".  
Big mistakes like charging into 8 enemies because you thought your boat could outrun them, or falling into an enemy deed that you can't get out of, or being killed because you were AFK.

I'm sure the guys on Chaos could come up with a list of other "big mistakes".  I'll meet you halfway and say yes, SoTG can help with the occaisional "oops", and you will agree it doesn't save you in every situation.  

Edited by Wargasm

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

You can't have it both ways.  Either you should have to work toward being good at PvP (skills, stats, gear, etc) or everyone should be handed a scale set, SoTG and fantastic glimmer weapons when they step through the portal.

Guess what?  You don't have 99 blacksmithing and 99 mining the day you walk through the portal.  Pretty sure meditation, SoTG, body stats and PvP skills should work the same way.

If you want instant gratification for new players, go play WU.

By your own admission, SoTG is not the problem.  Lack of choices are the problem.  So again, why nerf it just because it's the only path worth choosing for PvP?  Why screw up the one thing that IS working?

There's little mistakes and there are big mistakes.  Little mistakes are "oops, I am missing a boot and my opponent is hitting me in my left foot".  
Big mistakes like charging into 8 enemies because you thought your boat could outrun them, or falling into an enemy deed that you can't get out of, or being killed because you were AFK.

I'm sure the guys on Chaos could come up with a list of other "big mistakes".  I'll meet you halfway and say yes, SoTG can help with the occaisional "oops", and you will agree it doesn't save you in every situation.  

if you have a brain and decent reaction time, SOTG will save you in about 90% of the big mistakes.

I can act as reckless as i want in combat because i know i'm not going to go down in under two minutes unless im fighting 8+ people with huge axes. If im in scale or drake i just target someone or something out of combat, pop defensive, protect lowercenter and run faster than everyone else away. (at least on epic because nobody has drake or scale really)

I remember the good old days where if i accidentally fell down a 40 slope or something i was as good as dead 100% of the time, now? no big deal, lol.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 2

The baby jesus got ganked by the Romans because he couldn't get sotg in time. Currently ragequit until he comes back and ddos's the server 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Propheteer said:

if you have a brain and decent reaction time, SOTG will save you in about 90% of the big mistakes.

I can act as reckless as i want in combat because i know i'm not going to go down in under two minutes unless im fighting 8+ people with huge axes. If im in scale or drake i just target someone or something out of combat, pop defensive, protect lowercenter and run faster than everyone else away. (at least on epic because nobody has drake or scale really)

I remember the good old days where if i accidentally fell down a 40 slope or something i was as good as dead 100% of the time, now? no big deal, lol.

you have to keep in mind the stat curve on epic is so much weaker then chaos

people hit a lot harder on chaos because of how the body strength curve works.

we down 50+str gone accounts with 2-3 people in a matter of 30 seconds.

Er, no lol, its a minimal difference. But considering the past performance of mr statistics department you can continue to live in your bubble 

Edited by Postinglels
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Postinglels said:

Er, no lol, its a minimal difference. But considering the past performance of mr statistics department you can continue to live in your bubble 

Why must you be so bent on being salty

My statistics come from me playing on both clusters and killing gone accounts on both clusters.

46 minutes ago, TradingAlt said:

He's not being salty, just laughing at your ignorance to how the game works. Body strength hardly affects damage dealt and it is clear when you look at the code and have tested it with super high body strength accounts. The damage difference is minimal between accounts that pvp, we're talking like 15% extra damage between a 40 strength and 70 strength. And if you're on about how fast you gain body strength, then it doesn't matter as since it matters for everyone playing on that cluster it should even out as everyone will have high body strength. Unless you meant something else?

4 minutes ago, bloodmaster said:

He's not being salty, just laughing at your ignorance to how the game works. Body strength hardly affects damage dealt and it is clear when you look at the code and have tested it with super high body strength accounts. The damage difference is minimal between accounts that pvp, we're talking like 15% extra damage between a 40 strength and 70 strength. And if you're on about how fast you gain body strength, then it doesn't matter as since it matters for everyone playing on that cluster it should even out as everyone will have high body strength. Unless you meant something else?

on epic those numbers might make sense

but on chaos body strength adds to your damage way more then that.

On chaos the hits you do to people with similar stats do quite a bit more dmg, then hits on people with similar stats on elevation.

Not too sure about that one, guy who told me about the numbers has an account with over 80 body strength so I'm sure he knows what he is on about considering he can confirm that statement to what he learned from the code.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bloodmaster said:

15% dmg is a pretty big difference when you multiply it by things like mag bonus, moonmetal weapons, and crits, on top of some of the already high base dmg weapons like large axes/med mauls/huge axes

Lol, around 1 -2 damage overall, yup so huge

Also why keep harping on about damage. It becomes much less relevant with changes to either base weapon damage ,  base increase to hp or even both 

Edited by Postinglels
Coz continual joke meme

2 hours ago, TradingAlt said:

no its not.

gary tested this pretty thoroughly if i remember correctly.