Hello

I'm working with a friend to create starter towns near 5 spawn points that he has on his server. What are some basic things that could help new players? What do you wish was waiting for you when you started on your first server?

so far I've created a small village with lots of supplies for the taking, mostly food/seed items. There's also a public mine for players to use. What else do I need? Would more signs help too? Beds? Free horses?

i don't want to give them too much free stuff, but something is better than just a random spawn in a clearing.

thanks

mailbox, altars, a trader, maybe an open building to place merchants

Have a look at the redesign starter deeds contest thread that is going on in the Wurm Online forums. It's sure to have lots of ideas for you!

• Like 2

A trader is probably the most important to a new player, especially if you have deeding and upkeep costs enabled. Also, the innkeeper since he gives free food/water to new players for 24 hours.

Not sure if you can impose limits on how much can be taken from a public mine. Maybe if you can, a mine with free iron, enough to make a small anvil and a few nails which would enable a player to make a rope tool and maybe also a butchers knife to get the most out of their kills with signs to suggest what to make first.

Signs, signs and more signs. A new player needs to get as much information as they can about where they are going to set up home. Players new to Wurm also need to know what they are getting into.

Let the players find their own horses, it's part of the challenge and learning curve. It also stops them loading up with tons of iron lumps since the horse is less affected by the weight. Spawns shouldn't be too close to the starter villages to make players completely new to Wurm realise how long it takes to walk anywhere and that some form of transport is essential in this game, (be that horse, cart or boat).

Edited by Tryst