Sign in to follow this  
Shakatra

Is it necessary to be addicted to Wurm to get anything out of it? (Poll included)

How many hours a week do you put into Wurm?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours a week do you put into Wurm?

• Less than 10
    • 10-20
    • 20-30
    • 30-40
    • 40 or more
    • Other

I'm not trolling, and this is a serious question. Is this a game you can log into at your leisure, even if you are a part of a kingdom or a community? Does it have to be a time sink? I love this game, but have limited time to devote to it.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences and approaches on how you create a wholesome balance between your first priority (irl) and your fourth? priority (Wurm).

I don't think this is a fair poll, because I think many folks can attest to having their time in Wurm vary.

Some people get the itch to grind the crap out of things, and then some just fall back to maintenance mode. Logging in for deed upkeep and whatnot.

Wurm has never been a game that you could put in a box like that.

• Like 9

Time limit? Well, for me, infrequently, I have to take a break, so that's a time limit of sorts, but varies depending on why I take a break, one instance was caused by having a deed on Indy, one on Exodus and one on Serenity at the same time, on two characters, which got a bit much for me. Others have been caused by momentary obsessions with other games, (usually FPS like the Far Cry series, or my present Wurm alternative, Ghost Recon, (1, and GR:AW at the moment).

But I've been around for years on at least Two of my characters, who are almost as old as each other, and have about the same playtime, one on Freedom, one on Epic, so as long as there are new things to see, new things to do and new stuff to make, then your limits are purely personal, you get out what you put in, or you take a break until you feel you need to come back.

You can log in at your leisure once you are set up, comfortable, and well enough stocked, with food, resources and seed stock, as well as having sufficient premium.

I know of a few people who only log on every day or two, some even only once a week, just to do the maintenance tasks, check up on the animals and stuff like that, unless you plan to do a lot of farming then you don't actually need to log in every day, once it's well set up your deed will pretty much take care of itself for days, weeks, or even months.

There are those who cannot leave for that long of course, but that's their choice, it's not that they cannot, they choose to log in every day to grind skills, take care of huge farms, meditate, pray and generally do everything they play Wurm for.

It's a sandbox, you choose how to play, the game world is based on rules, but time limits are self imposed.

• Like 2

I don't play Wurm religiously like some players, where that's all they do every single day. I might play Wurm for a week do some grinding and disappear for a month, sometimes I play for longer. It really depends on what I want to do currently and if something shiny is out I might try that, for example I am playing Black Desert, Stardew Valley and Wurm in a mix. Play Wurm the way you want.

• Like 1

its not that you have to be addicted, but you have to play a lot if you are trying to be and stay competitive. especially early on, on a pvp server. you're looking at 5-7 days a week 6-12+ hours a day.

• Like 1

If you have animals that need to be fed, you have to log in at least every other day, for some of the animals anyway. They'll eat whatever's in front of them in a day.

• Like 1

There are many things you can decide to do in Wurm that you can pick up and leave any time you want.  Take exploring for example, once you have some basic fight skills, you are pretty safe (but not totally) and can just explore as you have time.  Or perhaps you wish to be an orchardist, aside from watching the calendar so you don't lose your crop, you don't really need to log in at all.  The list goes on, Wurm is extremely forgiving in most areas if you need to be away--just as long as you make sure your deed is paid up.  If you lose your land, well things will start to go downhill fast.

Being part of a village can be very helpful for the limited time player as well.  I'm sure you can find a balance that fits your needs. 

• Like 2

Very refreshing responses. Everyone here is so thoughtful. I'll ponder each reply, as there is wisdom in each one.

Edited by Shakatra

First 2,5 years i played this game i played around 8 hours a day, since player gods came around and valrei stayed a pile of ###### its less then 10 hours a week

• Like 3

To me, it all depends what you set as your goals. Surely, if your goals are lofty, you will need more time to complete them, which means more time online or more patience over long term. I play Wurm in spurts. When I can be reasonably active, I am, and it is during those weeks that most of my projects take a sizable leap ahead. This includes grinding. When I am busy IRL, I play Wurm far less and of course I don't see as much progress. But here is where my goals come in. When I can't play much, I still feel that I get a lot out of Wurm. During those less frequent times, I may not raise considerably in any skill or build a new house, but I go fishing, I farm, I explore, I do hunting trips, I visit friends and just enjoy being a person in a virtual world. Some projects around the deed also get done and I will grind that odd skill every now and then, but the goal for me here is to just enjoy the fruits of what I have done so far.

I don't know if this is the answer you are looking for, but for me, I don't feel I need to put very much into Wurm to enjoy it. When I can, I surely will. But when I don't have that possibility, I still love logging on and just living in the world with adventures of my own making.

• Like 1

People play Wurm differently.  I know people who log in every day for a few hours and have to tear themselves away, they find fun things to do and do huge projects with some friends and it is really cool to see how things grow and develop as their skill develop.  This, however, takes time.  To make some good friends in game, will also take time, and you may also encounter some nutters along the way, but don't get discouraged.  The overall Wurm community is nice and decent folk.

I hardly log in but when I do it is usually to have fun with my friends.  I have one cared for animal and have a little deed and that is about it.  I find trading and that part a lot of fun, which a lot of happens via forums.  However, have a good friend I can talk to when I do log in.  If that is all you like to do, you don't need premium.  If you actually want to live and build a world for yourself, you will need time to grind some skills so you can hunt, make mats, level, ride horses, sail around if you want to, etc.  It is really not that expensive though, even if you log in every week for a few hours, to pay say 15 bucks a month between a deed and some premium, that is about 3.5 bucks a week...and you can literally have hours and days of entertainment for that.  If you want to buy some mats it will cost extra too, but still, overall not a bad way to spend twenty bucks a month.

Just one thing that seems important for me to remember - as forums often unite more "active" part of communities, forum-based pools are most often good indicator of only this specific group of players. (and - as we can see from pool results - it is usually the most dedicated part as well) :)

• Like 3

There are a lot of ways to take full advantage of having very little time to invest in the game, without feeling like you're falling behind or losing out.

Ever since I moved to Calgary, on days that I'm working I might get to put in a whopping 2 hours of gameplay. Days off can vary depending on how busy I am. On average, I'd wager I put in about 14 - 18 hours a week.

I still manage to keep afloat by playing five characters at once, burning sleep bonus on things that will benefit me, and specializing characters to finish delegated tasks while others grind.

This keeps me satisfied. I never feel like I'm falling behind. I'd love to have more time to play Wurm, but I'm content with what I do have to offer.

What an odd post. Wurm is a game, play it when you want. The game is what you make of it.

• Like 1

On a first glance, yes it's odd.

Wurm is notorious for its grind and for the time required to complete tasks. When you're addicted to a game, you'll do anything. If you're not addicted, it becomes a chore. Personally, the moment a game becomes a chore, I lose interest. So how do you prevent it from becoming a chore, and still enjoy playing the game?

If a chosen project is wearing on you weather it be grinding a skill or making a castle change projects. :)  Thake a boat trip explor the lands or a new server visit some friends ! Me personally I have been going solid in wurm for 4 years now yes I have been mildly burnt out over that time frame but never left I take a hunting trip or search for champ animals ! Help a fried with a project. But its also more then that out of my years I have also gained a lot of friends and a few if them really close so we chat ALOT and vent about rl celebrate birthdays and so on. When you have a project lasting you hours a conversation makes the time fly by

In the past I was around a ton but with kids getting older and more jobs life In general my time is less but I still enjoy it just the same my projects just take a bit longer now

Booskii 

Im usualy afk 10-20 hours a week. some years ago it was 20-40 hours a week.

take your time, don't hurry things, do what you want to.

a great idea for casual play is indeed to join an existing settlement.

the "grind" is when you force yourself to reach a goal in a short timeframe - just let the "skill" happen by doing what you like (you can still "grind" if you want to)

1 hour ago, KaiH said:

take your time, don't hurry things, do what you want to.

a great idea for casual play is indeed to join an existing settlement.

the "grind" is when you force yourself to reach a goal in a short timeframe - just let the "skill" happen by doing what you like (you can still "grind" if you want to)

This is how I play these days, and it's very relaxing.  I login and do what I want to do.  If I want to grind, I grind.  If I want to groom the ponies and logoff, then that's what I do.  I stopped focusing on the needs of others or projects outside of my deed and just started devoting my efforts to improving upon my village.  It has been very relaxing. :)

Depends on RL commitments really.

I've had the 12hrs a day mega grind periods but in recent years I've usually managed 1/2 to 1 1/2  a day. I'll always tend my farms which pretty much put me into a zen state these days and it only takes 20 - 30 minutes. If I've more time then I'll do more stuff. Occasionally there'll be a burst of activity for a specific purpose but while I'm on, I'm always busy, never understood the logging in to do nothing way of things.

• Like 1

I vite for 40hours that is time per week i do sleep... rest of the time is wurm rl time

• Like 1

I only log in for PvP-related reasons, so sub 5 hours a week and have done so for a very long time now.

Prior to this i put in a lot of time, probably 40+ hours a week, but it was always supplemented with doing something else like netflix, playing other games like EUIV, working, or learning something.

Edited by Propheteer

I used to grind and hunt 12+ hours a day. I bought prem a couple months ago, logged in about five times, and it ran out this past week. I'll probably reprem if PvP rebalancing actually works and if the population increases to a reasonable level.

There were times I would play this game literally all my waking day (while unemployed).  Now I probably log ~10 hours a week, give or take.  Part of my leisure is because I have some fairly high skills, so I'm not constantly worrying about things decaying.  Decay is the most worrying aspect of this game, but it's understandable for the DB.

I get a craving to do something in particular, binge it, accomplish none of my goals, burn out and quit again. I'm at the last part now.

• Like 2