Sign in to follow this  
Hordern

What can we do about those few people determined to ruin our gaming experience?

Being new to the game (3 hours total gaming time by the point this description starts) I'd just about worked out what I wanted to try and do. With a bear hiding out in the public Iron and Silver mines it's been very hard to get any ore (anyone capable of taking out a Mature Raging Black Bear, you'll find a lot of grateful new folk!). I finally came across a couple of lumps, then spent the next hour refining it, and then I set about trying to find an anvil. Not managing to find one (I was using a random forge), I figured I could try and make one. Another 45 mins of heating later, and it was due to become 'glowing' again at any moment, when someone called Skidmark wandered up and took it.

wurm200907301653.png

Now I know I'm using a forge out in the open, and when I asked politely for it back, he said 'well you shouldn't be using a public forge then!' (Stupidly I didn't think to take a screenshot of what was effectively a confesion). I can understand that point, but to get such a thing you need to build a locked fenced area or a hut, for which you need nails and a lock, for which you need glowing iron lumps... Unfortunately I had to head off for real life reasons, so couldn't hang about and find out how to contact GM's etc. (I got a couple of pieces of advice which unfortunately didn't work) and one person even chased the guy for me, but of course in GV you can't attack someone. I know it was only 2kg of fairly low quality Iron, but it represented half of my gaming time so far and a fair amount of my will to continue.

To finally get to the point - how do we deal with people like that? IS there anything we can do? Also, if anyone does come across this person on a premium server in the future, chop his head off and steal a couple of iron lumps for me ;)

I've responded the best I could with your GM call, but skidmark had already logged out. According to a few people, it's not the first time Skidmark has done something like this.

May I ask in what area of the map this is (I'm assuming the MR deed). I'll see if I can have a talk with him.

I've responded the best I could with your GM call, but skidmark had already logged out. According to a few people, it's not the first time Skidmark has done something like this.

May I ask in what area of the map this is (I'm assuming the MR deed). I'll see if I can have a talk with him.

Hordern, one thing i want to say is, dont let this ruin the game for you! Once you get to the premium servers, or even just set up a base on the GV server, it will be much more fun! I promise!

he took 2kg of lump from a public forge which you didnt actually mine and u made this big thread about it? why are people even taking this seriously?

he took 2kg of lump from a public forge which you didnt actually mine and u made this big thread about it? why are people even taking this seriously?

Theres no issue taking something that has been abandoned, but taking something someone is obviously trying to work with is bad form.

Children tend to ruin any fun you attempt to have, regardless of where you are/what you're doing.

Your only option is to build a house with a lock, or build a large chest and lock it to keep your stuff safe, or go premium. Most parents don't trust kids with their credit cards, weeding out most of the kids from premium.

When I first started, the first thing I did was run to the edge of the map, away from the kids that troll around the towns looking for stuff to steal. I started looking around open mines to see if they had any exposed ore mines. Unluckily for me, I didn't find any, so I found a rock face and prospected it until I pin-pointed the location of an iron ore. I used the prospecting strategy from http://wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Kiro%27s_mining_guide to locate the exact location of the ore. If you can't pinpoint it, look elsewhere. It's not worth the time for guesswork.

Second thing I did was start 2 campfires. After that, I mined as much iron ore as I could stuff into the campfires. (I made my campfires IN the cave to reduce the chance of a kid walking by and stealing my stuff) When the iron ore melted I made a small anvil, and with that anvil I immediately made a door lock and 4 large iron nails. That's all you need for ore for a bit. After I did this, I flattened out a spot and built a 1x1 house with the wood around me and the nails on me. After putting on the door lock, you now have a safe place to store your stuff.  ;D

lol if i want iron ore i just mine anywhere in a random direction till i find it.. method has never let me down

That takes much longer than actually prospecting and finding ore. What does it take, 15 seconds to prospect per tile? And how much do you need to mine out 1 tile? 50*35 = 1750 seconds or around half an hour.

Enable pvp... LUL. Don't make suggestions anymore cndo.

It should be about time the GMs take up a new ban first ask questions later policy... Would be nice to have some of the people friken abusing the player base get put in there place, instead of getting off on "there's no evidence" or "we like him, so no ban."

Also, Rabid, you seem to blame most of Wurm's trouble on "kids". I'm pretty sure you mean "immature" and if you can't tell the difference, I'm afraid that is precisely what you are. Another thing, you stated that most children can not get premium, which is completely untrue. Most children can easily get there parents to pay 13 dollars every other month, and more can make that amount by doing odd jobs or simply working for an allowance.

I can also assure you that some people are just  bags, whether they're actually children or not.

As for the problem of keeping your stuff safe from people, a stone fence with a wooden gate will suffice. You can not bash on GV so anything that stops them from entering your tile will do just fine. You need 30 rock shards, 2 shafts, 2 planks, and 1 small nail. You will also need a gate lock to prevent them from entering. Alternatively, you could make your home in a mine. You dig into the surface, plant everything you want in there (forge, cart, barrels, chest, ect) and place one gate at the front. You could also surrounded the edges with stone walls to stop others from falling into your mine and having to suicide, but, you might find it fitting for people with straying hands that they're forced to sit and die in your mine. 

You could also surrounded the edges with stone walls to stop others from falling into your mine and having to suicide, but, you might find it fitting for people with straying hands that they're forced to sit and die in your mine. 

That counts as griefing and is bannable, so don't do it. Ideally, you will want to build walls around the entrance to your mine, and a gate in front. On the premium servers, you can actually build mine doors which offer you the ability to manage who is allowed in and who isn't, like a house. Don't bother building them on GV, you won't be able to attach them.

you can also build a 1x1 shack infront off your mine opening, that way your friends can use the mine to if you set them as friends in the house writ.