Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #11 Fly me to the moon

Thanks for the warning about GV 2.0, much better to hear about things before they happen. Looking forward to the new improved tutorial :)

• Like 1

So mayor kicking is now a thing, thanks for deleting my traders I guess?

On 3/18/2016 at 4:13 PM, Valdor said:

Heh, the more I read about players' view of the old tutorial vs the new one, the more I realize that I may be the only person in Wurm who really, really likes the current tutorial. To me, there is something magical about this starter village that exists on Golden Valley right now. I started the game with the old tutorial, but made an alt when the new one was built. Perhaps my perception was skewed at that point, because I knew a lot about Wurm already, but looking at the cool design of that village and reading a note that everything you see here can be player built made my mind boggle. Talk about sandbox! I can make all this in the game!? I can have it how I want it!? Wow. The pop-up boxes also worked for me, as I visited different areas to explore that GV village. I guess it was just my kind of a tutorial.

Ever since then, I have seen many people state how the tutorial before the current GV village was superior. The usual arguments revolve around the fact that the old one was much more interactive. The new one, instead, is a showcase of Wurm but it doesn't allow one to actually experience what's about to happen. I can understand those points of view and I can see what most of you mean. I suppose interractivity is the key to the new player experience, especially in a game that doesn't hold your hand after you join a server and where you need to know a thing or two about how to survive and make that first shelter. Very good points.

I would, therefore, like to suggest a compromise between the two tutorials. I think all the points that people are already bringing in this post are very valid. The tutorial must be interactive and it must allow you to make that first plank, to let you dig terrain, to show you the uphill and downhill speeds, to teach you how to use a sickle to replant a tree, to educate you about how to use differrent terrain (sand, clay, peat) for various tasks and to just give you a lot of actual hands-on, as opposed to viewer experiences. So, I am on board here. An interactive tutorial, like the one we had before the current GV village is the key.

But here is my suggestion. After the players go through all this, perhaps they should turn a corner and then suddenly, after all their experiences, find themselves in a GV village similar to what we have now. This would happen at the very end of the tutorial. There, we can place a sign that says, "all you just learned, plus many more exciting activities, will allow you to make villages like this. All you see here was player made". The idea would be that after experiencing Wurm first hand and learning how to use tools, you suddenly see where all this can take you. Your imagination is the limit and the very few suprisingly simple tasks that you have just been exposed to can lead to something you may have not even imagined. Welcome to a sandbox world.

Let's combine the two into a mind-blowing welcome to Wurm.

Just wanted to comment that I LOVE your idea of combining the old and new tutorials.... Make this happen!!!

• Like 2

On 3/18/2016 at 5:13 PM, Wurmhole said:

Being a GV resident with a deed, I was hoping for some more info.  You mention the map being replaced, so that indicates all roads, teraforming, mines are going to cease to exist, but since you mention bumping up decay, the item database is remaining?  Are cave reinforcements being deleted?  How about keys, locks and gems?  There are thousands of them scattered around the surface of GV now.

From what i understood - They will nuke the map data (terrain, heightmap, caves, etc) but leave the database (items, buildings, animals, etc.) intact, since it's also the login server database. Cave reinforcements are part of terrain data, so they will go as well.

We will discuss this most likely on Monday or Tuesday,

;~;

• Like 1

Maybe next month or the other we will get atleast a post about it. 

On 3/20/2016 at 10:50 PM, Postinglels said:

On 3/18/2016 at 2:48 PM, Retrograde said:

Golden Valley 2.0

We have started working on the foundation of a new tutorial and  will be replacing the Golden Valley map that is currently live. Currently the project is still in its early stages, with planning and preperation being done before introducing the new map. As Golden Valley is also the login server, migrating databases is a little tricky, so due to this we will simply be changing the map with all items and buildings remaining. We will then have the current tutorial operating while we build the new tutorial behind the scenes.

Current "Golden Valley" accounts will be teleported to the tutorial while we work on the new tutorial, and any deeds on the server will be disbanded. decay will also be raised in order to clear remaining items and buildings out. From there we will begin work on building the new tutorial. Once the new tutorial is finished, Golden Valley accounts will once again be able to roam.

This will be occuring in the next few months, depending on how quickly planning progresses, and will include a week or two warning prior to the actual change. Once we retire the current map it will be available to download for Wurm Unlimited servers, it will have all roads and terraforming/mines in it, but no buildings.

OMG RIP LIFE!

On 3/18/2016 at 10:35 AM, sphygmo said:

....The quality of the photo looks likes someone is playing on a machine from 1997.

This made me laugh :D 

On 3/18/2016 at 10:19 AM, Retrograde said:
On 3/18/2016 at 10:19 AM, Retrograde said:

... I'd advise collecting everything you want to keep and storing it on you at the point of reset though. ...

When the old toons are moved into the tutorial will their inventories not be wiped though?

Can we get more details about this prior to the official "warning, wipe is imminent" notice please?  Is the safety of the inventory being guaranteed, or is this theoretical at this point?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Egard said:

Maybe next month or the other we will get atleast a post about it. 

image.jpg

9 minutes ago, Egard said:

heard that rumor many of times now :) 

Seen such rumors delivered on many times now too. ;)

On 3/20/2016 at 2:50 AM, Postinglels said:

QQ

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Klaa said:

The moon landings were faked!

Get out!  And take your conspiracy theories with you!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I know right? who was doing it this week again?

Me.  Sorry mate.  A little behind.