Sign in to follow this  
Amadee

Please remove the change to cave-ins on unreinforced floors

5 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

+1!!

With lower populations, this issue will only cause more isolation of the inner lakes, as the travel in and out of them is greatly decreased right now.  Old canals will start closing up and be too much of a chore for a single traveler to pass.  The value of all lake deeds takes a big hit from this.

it is just a temporary pop drop worry not.

After all, when a cave in happens in a mine, how often does the ground randomly just thrust up to the ceiling?  What the heck good is a floor reinforcement?  When they came out, they were just to enable faster travel in mines I thought?

Jake, yes, you should be able to save your ceiling mostly.  Different factors can still ruin the ceiling though.  Mining doesn't always come out clean.  There is a small amount of randomness to the top and bottom levels.  I leveled out my mine floor perfectly.  If a cave in happens, completely in the middle, with clear space all the way around, then I mine forward to clear it, there is about a 50%chance that one of the two furthest corners from me will drop slightly, requiring that I go make some concrete.  To insure a flat floor, I have to mine up, then level.  We don't really have that option with regards to protecting a ceiling.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 1

Hi,

CanalCaveIn.jpg

This is Kinoss Bay Canal - 4 cave-ins until now! We had none (not a single one!) since at least 2011.

/Support is sent, but until further notice the canal may not work for big ships.

+1!

Have fun!

Pickaxe.png

Better start equipping your ships with this.

We had ample warning that this was coming, it was right here in the patch notes

January 18, 2016
  • Fix so guards can once again teleport into caves.
  • (EPIC) Fix so unlawful citizens cannot remove mine reinforcements.
  • Cave tiles that are reinforced (floors) now reduce the possibility of cave ins.
  • Fixed an issue where you could load artifacts in to a catapult.
  • Fix for invalid kingdoms on Chaos and HOTS kingdom on new players.
  • Players on Epic can no longer move corpses when there are enemies nearby.
  • Removed a warning from all players that had one since the majority of them were several years old.

I still feel for the effort it takes in building reinforcement beams that they should prevent the possibility of a collapse from ever happening.

Edited by JakeRivers

+1 Realism does not mean making folks work more just to keep what they have.

• Like 2

Mixed on this one. I took the time to reinforce floors (solves cave ins much better than walls). If the cave ins are here to stay, we need to be able to reinforce all floors in a cave (even underwater at maximum depth and entrance tiles). It also should be disabled and a warning given with a time to live so people have a chance to prepare for it. Hundreds of reinforcements is a lot of work, mostly because they are bulky, heavy, and hard to transport in quantity and slow to make on the spot as you move with your resources for them.

TL/DR: Changes to long-standing mechanics should always come with a warning and a period to prepare. 

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Pickaxe.png

Better start equipping your ships with this.

We had ample warning that this was coming, it was right here in the patch notes

I still feel for the effort it takes in building reinforcement beams that they should prevent the possibility of a collapse from ever happening.

Actually no, this wasn't a warning because it didn't say anything about the collapse chance changing and rather felt like a change to the chance of a collapse on reinforced tiles. 

I am with you on the reinforced ones, however. The work involved in reinforcing a mine should be repaid with a very very low chance of collapse. Mine supports can last hundred (in the case of Roman mines, even thousands) of years.

Edited by Audrel

Really I could not of been the only one to think "good grief, reinforce the floors or else loose more stuff" when that patch note came out. I been working on my mine since that came out.

• Like 1

Mine was done long long before this. I put them down when they came out. I have never had a reinforced floor tile cave in. Ever.

My other issue with reinforced floors is that ceiling gets artifically smooth as well giving sn industrial look to the mine. If forced to use floor reinforcements there will be no more cave feelings in mines.

Other point is the possible griefing: anyone with a little advanced strength can easily remove floor reinforcement offdeed.

Edited by Jaz
typo corrected
  • Like 3

HI all,

This was reverted in todays update, cave tiles will no longer collapse in sections such as these.

The existing cave ins are still there however, so please do make sure to mine them out while they are singular to avoid changing the ceiling or floor shapes

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

HI all,

This was reverted in todays update, cave tiles will no longer collapse in sections such as these.

The existing cave ins are still there however, so please do make sure to mine them out while they are singular to avoid changing the ceiling or floor shapes

Thank you Retro, for the quick response to this calamity.  

There's a new problem with it now though, where vaulted ceilings are concerned.  Just tried to mine off a collapse in my boat cave and got this.......

[08:52:41] You hear falling rocks from the other side of the wall. A deep shaft will probably emerge.

Edit:  Never mind.  I kept mining it anyway and it finally poofed.  :)

Edited by Amadee

So I had 2 collapses in my mine yesterday, it happened in a section where I do not store stuff, but this was unexpected, that ultra small chance of it happening on a reinforced floor tile occurred:

The tunnel is a work in progress so I have not reinforced the side walls in that section, but the center of the floor was reinforced from one end to the other, this happened right on top of a reinforced floor tile.

nSdLWyS.jpg

So even if all those boat canals or your caverns with the nice cathedral ceilings were reinforced on the floors this can still happen.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:20 PM, Amadee said:

Fix for cave ins not happening in middle of an area without reinforced cave floors.

I am glad the Devs finally started listening to you Amadee, since shortly after you brought this up they took action to rectify the situation due to your due diligence of not letting it go by without rebuke. Keep up the good work!

*winks*

=Ayes=

Thanks guys!! We have spent 5 years making a very long canal and just about to apply for heritage status, now we have 16 cave ins in the water and numerous iron veins to mine out again!!   \o/ 

• Like 1

When a change like this is made where the only result is repetitive busy work for people who've already done repetitive busy work, Devs, can you give us your train of thought? Is it something like "Some people will have an hour of time today to play Wurm after they get home from work - let's make sure it's as boring and frustrating as possible. In fact this whole week coming up can be spent doing the same exact thing over and over." Did I nail it?

• Like 1

The devs have been on a roll lately, but this change is a head-scratcher indeed.

Did they even think it through?

+1. 

+1 especially considering all the known bugs with reinforced floors that result in players dying in the rock

On 18/03/2016 at 8:05 AM, LordLouis said:

Thanks guys!! We have spent 5 years making a very long canal and just about to apply for heritage status, now we have 16 cave ins in the water and numerous iron veins to mine out again!!   \o/ 

Veins should be removed by a GM, if it is in the process of heratige it's close enough

Also, this fix has been implemented, not sure why people are still giving +1's

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Also, this fix has been implemented, not sure why people are still giving +1's

"Reason: Reverting cave collapsing bugfix for now pending tweaks."

+1 to no tweaks? :mellow:

• Like 1