Desolation(v3) - 100 skill, 10 action, 1048, PVP - wurm-desolation.com

Apr 15 - Meditation/Final Breath, Drake added to HOTA loot

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Postby gmnappy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:30 pm

- Meditation updated to limit meditation path to a maximum of level 13. If you had a higher level then it has been reset to the cap level of 13. This fixes the issue with Final Breath so you should now be able to use the Final Breath option whenever it is available to you (more detail on this issue is at http://wurm-desolation.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=57)

- Meditation change path time has been changed to 3 hours from the default of 24 hours

- Drake has been added to the HOTA loot
Edited by Nappy

@Nappy

Have you seen the new Bdew mod for digging? FROM CARTS!!!

43 minutes ago, bdew said:

Better Digging updated to v0.2

• Fixed leveling not taking dirt from crates in locked carts

Some questions have come up around the different decisions that have been made for this server compared to others. Seemed like a good time to explain the thinking behind the differences.

1) Macroing is permitted on Desolation v3 

Wurm Unlimited provides no tools or mechanisms to prevent someone from macroing. Many server admins try to mediate this to some degree by declaring macroing illegal and then doing random spot checks on players that typically involve things like moving or teleporting or pushing the player to see how they react. The reality is that simply using a tool like Wurm Assistant you can setup alerts that prevent most of these things from working more then once. Unfortunately it also has two downsides, some innocent players get wrongfully accused of macroing and admin people end up spending huge amounts of time trying to catch macroing instead of having the opportunity to just play the game.

As a result on Desolation what we have tried to do is to work within what game mechanics allow us to do. By increasing the skill gain and action rates while also capping the maximum characteristic level possible most of the advantages gained by macroing are very limited and fleeting. So far there have not been examples of anyone who macros having a clear advantage over someone who doesn't. This hopefully leads to a much more fair playing field for everyone.

2) Glimmer, Adamantine and Scale are very commonly available

A decision was made to include Glimmer and Adamantine as veins you can mine on the map. Each one is capped at 1500 hits so while a vein will provide many suits it will also run out and require you to search for additional ones. With a custom modification the supply depot now gives out significant amounts of scale as well. 

Both of these things should have the following impacts. Everyone in the game will have access to high end armor types. Since it is so common the fear of losing it (and therefore not wearing it in battle) should be non-existent. An additional benefit is that by having more people in these armor types people should have longer PVP battles. Instead of going down in 1 or 2 hits maybe you will last 5 -7 instead. 

3) Supply depot moves randomly and with out notice. 

At random intervals the supply depot will be moved from one location to another. No notice will be provided. This will encourage searching for the depot leading to more PVP potential while also helping to reduce the common occurrence of alts camping on a depot.

4) Characteristics caps

All characteristics, body, mind and soul are capped at 50. This should make it very possible for someone new to the server to quickly catch up to someone who has been playing on the server for 3+ weeks. The longer time players won't be able to hit as hard when maxed out at 50 compared to what they could do at 70+ either leading to longer and hopefully more tactical PVP battles.

5) Client side modifications and clients

As with macroing WU provides no tools that help prevent people from using custom client-side modifications or even customized clients when playing the game. Some server admins ban the use of these items with no real way to make sure they are or are not in use. In reality just like in network security the people who write the custom client mods/clients will just program their creation to provide the correct responses that any server-side security mod would expect before allowing server access.

The best we can do is inform people what the common client-side mods often in use are and hope that people don't use other mods like the treasure chest finder that really does make the game less fair for someone not using them.

Edited by Nappy

Id like to see a real test since Gank basically died to mobs and not you Moot thx

1 hour ago, Rhianna said:

Id like to see a real test since Gank basically died to mobs and not you Moot thx

When are you returning so we can include you in the test too? (grin)

5 hours ago, Rhianna said:

lol sorry back at work now.................... haha

That's awesome news. Congrats!

20 hours ago, Rhianna said:

There is no doubt that he died to those monsters instead of me. I only have 33fs and no body stat over 30.

Moot you should be 99.9999 in everything by now, whats going on ;p

17 hours ago, Rhianna said:

Moot you should be 99.9999 in everything by now, whats going on ;p

....i have a life?

• Like 2

if i were to play on this server, whom should i join for the most fun

13 hours ago, Drastox said:

if i were to play on this server, whom should i join for the most fun

Honestly, all three kingdoms are nice with some great people who enjoy having fun. MR and BL are likely the two that could use new recruits the most right now although all three kingdoms would be happy to have you join them.

Additional answers to design questions:

6) Small server + faster horse/cart speeds leads to an even smaller server

We made the server the smallest size possible in order to try to have population congestion with kingdoms butting up against each other. By making horses and carts 25% faster it should also lead to the server seeming even smaller.

On a server where horses can go from one side to the other in under 10 minutes (with good traits, enchants and gear horses max out at about 50 km per hour currently) simply capping a tower can lead to an enemy rapid response force heading out in very short time once the tower capping messages start to be broadcast.

• Like 1

The map below shows the search area for the supply depot. The area between the red lines is the area where a supply depot may be located.

• Like 1

Can someone please kill the Fo Champion: Capi.

He is so strong that unborn babies are named after him and killed four forest giants at the same time yesterday.

He scares me.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2016 at 1:25 PM, MootRed said:

Can someone please kill the Fo Champion: Capi.

He is so strong that unborn babies are named after him and killed four forest giants at the same time yesterday.

He scares me.

just dehorse him and shoot some arrows at him in his leather

i tested this method its pretty good

• Like 1

Im gonna bump this! Having a blast, would be better if more poeple joined. Will take you a day or 2 to be ready for pvp :) Its awesome!

The most fun you can experience. Nothing to lose. Give it a try!

5 hours ago, Wulfgarr said:

Im gonna bump this! Having a blast, would be better if more poeple joined. Will take you a day or 2 to be ready for pvp :) Its awesome!

I would says 48 to 72 hours of game play, only grind that take time is fighting. ....

22 minutes ago, bigsteve said:

I would says 48 to 72 hours of game play, only grind that take time is fighting. ....

[17:07:58] You have played 2 days, 2 hours and 19 minutes.

I have not grinded FS most of them time and i am ready so really much much less.

After spending a few days on this server, id have to say its basically my ideal version of this game. I've spent 3 years playing wurm online and after even that small amount of time.. kinda sick of the slow grind. Even though i have a lot of gear saved up over such a long time, i don't feel i have the incentive to actually go out and lose any of it. This server feels like the game should have been, or perhaps a version of this server should have been implemented on the main wurm servers for those that love fast paced action.

• Like 5