Sign in to follow this  
Nappy

Desolation(v3) - 100 skill, 10 action, 1048, PVP - wurm-desolation.com

[23:43:25] Dasumma slain by Theia Egard Jamessnow Capi Jalordon Jondsgar Carmichael Raithus Magicmike Aflacduck 
[23:43:57] Contender slain by Theia Carmichael Jamessnow Egard Capi Raithus Jalordon Jondsgar Magicmike Aflacduck 
[23:44:25] Awardis slain by Carmichael Theia Jamessnow Capi Egard Raithus Jalordon Jondsgar Magicmike Aflacduck 
[23:44:49] Ausimus slain by Carmichael Jamessnow Egard Capi Raithus Jalordon Jondsgar Magicmike Aflacduck 
[23:45:26] Ruxin slain by Carmichael Theia Jamessnow Egard Capi Raithus Jondsgar Jalordon Aflacduck 
[23:45:53] Sylith slain by Carmichael Theia Capi Egard Jamessnow Raithus Jalordon Jondsgar Magicmike Aflacduck 
[23:46:24] Hawkstar slain by Carmichael Theia Jamessnow Egard Capi Raithus Jondsgar Magicmike Aflacduck 
[23:47:04] Napoleonbonaparte slain by Theia Carmichael Jamessnow Egard Capi Raithus Jalordon Jondsgar Magicmike Aflacduck 

3JK on, 33 people online. GG BL Wins.

13 hours ago, Xyp said:

3JK on, 33 people online. GG BL Wins.

Underdog stories FTW!

[18:01:53] <Zombie propheteer> I know for a fact that proph has been around these parts somewhere.

• Like 1

BL just a bunch of proph ######bois

1 hour ago, Lunn said:

BL just a bunch of proph ######bois

proph isnt even in bl

2 hours ago, Lunn said:

BL just Aflac and the geese 

Watch for everyone who converts to try and follow.

This converting made it balanced. JK was 2nd kingdom, now it's the last, underdogs once more, we will get it!

21 minutes ago, Zibens said:

This converting made it balanced. JK was 2nd kingdom, now it's the last, underdogs once more, we will get it!

nope

bl is now smaller than MR in terms of active populace on the workdays at least, and because of certain individuals with lost puppy syndrome ill now be rolling incognito

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Propheteer said:

because of certain individuals with lost puppy syndrome ill now be rolling incognito

one man army

this server is pretty much everyone follow the propheteer at this point

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

this server is pretty much everyone follow the propheteer at this point

2 people followed proph. 

The problem Desolation is having with Kingdom balance isn't unique to Desolation. Also happens on Epic and Chaos in my opinion. It's something we need to overcome for Wurm PVP to grow. If more people PVPed in Wurm then it would be a far smaller issue, unfortunately until the day arrives when more people do so then a small group of people (and not focusing on Prop's group here, other groups have had similar problem before) can create an imbalance very quickly if they aren't willing/able to have fun playing against each other.

Kingdom balance issues

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Postby gmnappy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:48 pm

Kingdom balance has become an issue on the server and one that needs to be fixed preferably without GM intervention. GM intervention is something that I prefer not to do, usually doesn't work as well as expected when performed and ultimately doesn't address root cause.

I have turned on character creation choice again so that new players can join all kingdoms. Until I review the actual active player status for each kingdom the message just says "Welcome to Desolation".

In a way we face a problem that all players of casual baseball, soccer, rugby, football and other sports also face daily. Let's say a group of 30 people get together to play baseball. 27 of them are friends who enjoy playing games together so they all join one team. The other three people make up the opposing team.

The net result of this is that the team with 27 players ends up with everyone receiving a very small amount of time to play effectively while the team with only 3 players doesn't even have enough people to field a batting line-up.

Desolation is similar to this now. We seem to be swaying from one overpowering kingdom to another when really we should be looking for something more balanced.

Some remedies come to mind:

- Go back to 2 kingdom model used on DesolationV2 - Problem with only two kingdoms on DesolationV2 was that it made the balance harder to achieve. 3 kingdoms seems to act as a balancing point
- Leave things alone for the next week and see if players make the kingdoms more balanced
- Leave kingdom setup the way it is, remove the players that have been recognized as toxic and who are driving people away from kingdoms
- Introduce 4 PMKs and to a large degree get rid of template kingdoms
- Introduce 5 PMKs and to a large degree get rid of template kingdoms
- Introduce 6 PMKs and to a large degree get rid of template kingdoms

Open to other thoughts and ideas.

Please post suggestions to the thread on wurm-desolation.com rather then up here on Wurm Online.
Edited by Nappy

Join the server and it will appear in server alerts every 30 minutes

ive never really joined any other server besides the main hud one. how d o i join new servers?

15 hours ago, Jessemason said:

ive never really joined any other server besides the main hud one. how d o i join new servers?

click "Connect by IP" on the bottom of the launcher and copy paste the server's ip.

Desolation end date - June 13, 2016

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Postby gmnappy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:16 am

After careful consideration and long deliberation I have decided to close down DesolationV3 on June 13, 2016. On that date the server will have been running and active for about 100 days which is a pretty good lifetime for a PVP server that has seen constant updates and tweaks throughout that entire lifespan.

892 individual player accounts have been created on Desolation as of the time when I am writing this note. Peak logged in users was 61 during a time when 213 player accounts were active. Those 213 accounts were owned by 183 individual players. At least 19 players came to Desolation having never played WO PVP and about 11 of those have never played WO.

Game play wise the server pushed boundaries in a number of areas to try some new things. I enjoyed seeing how people changed their game play to adapt to many of these changes. Personally my favorite game play changes included the archery towers, traps and especially the anti-cheat mod. 

There are many game play areas and scenarios that remain to be explored and some of them will likely be considered for a future DesolationV4. 

Here are some of the things we were working on that would have potentially changed the game in more exciting and fun ways:

- Alternative ranking system featuring three new commands - /victims /killers and /kdr (kill to death ratio)
- Special bounty system for PVP kills that would have allowed people who earned the bounties to cash them in for items that weren't player craftable
- Champion enhancements to make being a champ more special and unique
- Three classes of deeds, land-grabbing/no defence, war deed/low population, full village - the class of deed would control the disband rules that would be in effect - land-grabbing would be easy to get rid of, full village would require a much greater effort
- Alt character classification - identification of an alt and limits on what an alt could do
- Dynamic kingdom assignment for new players for first x days on the server based on actual review of coded algorithms to help actively balance kingdoms. Factors would range from active players to number of active kills made by the kingdoms
- Ability to cram enemy kingdoms as close to each other as possible to encourage even more PVP action (possibly as little as only a 50 tile distance between enemy towers)

At this point the biggest problems with PVP in Wurm and with this server I believe rest with the community. The following topics come to mind:

- A portion of the PVP community seems to believe that "Cheating to win" is acceptable whether that is using special client side modifications or privately attempting to sway GMs/Server owners to do things that largely favor one kingdom or the other

- The desire to play with friends is so strong that usually one kingdom becomes overpowering to the detriment of all of the remainder and the overpowering group can't seem to see the problems this approach cause to having a fun and vibrant PVP community. Few people enjoy being the subject of constant raids day after day and usually the numbers quickly reflect this as people leave the server as a result

During it's active time Desolation was subjected to three DDOS attacks (none of which were successful) and one stack overflow attack. After largely removing the advantages provided to cheaters using the bear mods, a new client cheat was utilized that allowed a player (one player controlling two characters) to make their characters go player invisible. The same cheat apparently can be used to cause a stack-overflow on a server to take it down. The player in question (and all three of their characters) were banned from the server using our two factor authentication system (another unique feature to Desolation).

Assisting me in running the server and developing the modifications were Army and WalkerInTheVoid. Their hard work, friendship and council were indispensable in trying to take Wurm PVP in a different direction. I can't say enough good things about working with these two individuals.

Some ideas for a future DesolationV4 (take each idea as it's own separate thing, doesn't mean any of them will make it to V4)

- Possible removal of spy alts and captive priests (captive priests are a common example of the player community unbalancing the kingdoms by willingly going around the game design. Hard to complain about balance when players themselves commonly circumvent the differences that come from kingdom choice). We already have the technical ability to do this now
- No priests
- No meditation
- Even smaller map with focus around a centralized HOTA zone
- Small no-raid area for each kingdom to allow the home-server style player a place on the server with other higher-risk areas available for those wishing to build and raid fortresses
- Access to server via Player Application process - would include an upfront agreement to play within the rules of the server. This should severely limit the risk of hacks/cheats/attack while allowing the vast majority of players to still enjoy their time on the server. This would be tied very closely to our two factor authentication system
- Dynamic kingdom assignment for the first x number of days that a player was on the server

I would also like to thank the community for making the 100 days of this server an exciting and fun time. In particular many of you reacted in a very positive way to constant change especially the changes that I thought would be problematic like a much smaller local, supply depots that randomly moved and of course the SOTG changes that we tried before WO did.

Thank-you for your time on DesolationV3. Hopefully many of you will look forward to trying DesolationV4 when time permits me to take on the design and implementation of that server.

For now enjoy the chance to PVP for another week on Desolation and especially, enjoy the Zebras.

~Nappy

Edited by Nappy
  • Like 1

It was good run for sure. Probably wont be around for end, but ill be at next map.

• Like 1