Sign in to follow this  
Wilczan

Why cannot build basement floor without doors?

Hello

Got three floor tower 2x2.

3rd floor is open and want to make a bridge leading to it.

2nd floor is closed (8 walls).

1st floor got already 7 walls and when trying to built last one, but got only options to built doors/arched walls.

This tower will be one of many towers in walls fortifications and I don't want to them have any access from the ground, only by bridges on higher floor. Why I cannot do that?

Even tried to build a door on third flooor so building would have any doors but it doesn't helped.

One of the building requirements is that you MUST have an entry on the ground level. One work around is to build an arched wall, Then put a stone fence inside the arched wall.

So I can build myself with fences around, so I cannot go out, but cannot do the same with building?

• Like 1

In that case they should only check if there is any door in the building, not on the ground.

OR

Check if there are openings/stairs leading to the top.

OR

Do nothing, let players decide.

EDIT:

One work around is to build an arched wall, Then put a stone fence inside the arched wall.

I probably won't be able to build bridge above that combination.

Edited by Wilczan

I wonder if you can make your "basement" floor with the required door and then use inside interior walls to block that door off from view. For instance, adding a 1x1 protruding tile to the building at the bottom floor, putting your door there and then closing that tile off with an interior wall inside, to create a full illusion of being in a basement, when inside. Of course, from the outside, you'll have this protruding part of the house. But, it could be a small shed attached to the house and maybe a balcony above?

Edited by Valdor

I think that in era of bridges, houses shouldn't have such restrictions.

Now that we have these across-the-screen warnings, they could lift the restrictions but show a huge red warning about the danger of being trapped in 4 walls without a maul.

• Like 1

Reason I posted is couse I want to build something like this:

walls.jpg

So, on the screen there is a tower, and from both sides there are walls with bridges above them. I cannot build door on the bottom floor under the bridges couse I'am getting error saying that there must be solid stone wall to build the bridge.

Only left option is to make a door on one of two outside walls wich is pointless couse it lose all the point of defense, when enemy can just pick a door to get into the tower.

Could also do what fencejumper suggested but it would also look stupid if I have arched wall with fence on outside wall.

Build a door on the lower level, inside the tower build 2 interior walls to block off the door.

You can lock pick the door, but your trapped anyway by walls inside the tower.

Another options, make the tower 3x3. Towers usually are broader than the walk ways which connect them (looking at medieval castles in general).

Heh aye the door restriction was to prevent some idiot (ie most of us) from walling themselves in.

Unsure if that was really much of a problem though.

Personally the same thing could be done with a warning modal window asking if we really, really wanna have no door on the ground floor.

Edited by Klaa

Idiots still can wall themselves with fences.

Edited by Wilczan

12 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Idiots still can wall themselves with fences.

Done that my self lol......

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 0:45 PM, Klaa said:

Heh aye the door restriction was to prevent some idiot (ie most of us) from walling themselves in.

One idea here would be for the code to check if you are INSIDE or OUTSIDE the structure you want to close off. The code for this must exist somewhere already, as the game can check if you are inside the house to give you the no stealing warning on Freedom. Then, if you are inside the house, the game wouldn't force you to build at least one door. But the moment you step outside, you can build all walls. Voila. No one would wall themselves in.

• Like 1

It is absolutely possible to build a tower with solid walls around the base (no doors or fences at all). 

After building the required door on the ground floor, and completing the tower's upper levels, simply plan an additional 1x1 protusion (connecting to your door). You should then be able to bash and re-make the door into a solid wall before removing the plan from the extra tile. 

I am not certain in the exact order of operations here, but I have witnessed this first-hand. There is a bridge support buildig in Glasshollow harbor which is 1x2(x3 tall) with the only openings being in the center (2nd floor). 

after finishing bridges just bash walls and make what you want :D   

On 3/15/2016 at 8:58 PM, Valdor said:

One idea here would be for the code to check if you are INSIDE or OUTSIDE the structure you want to close off. The code for this must exist somewhere already, as the game can check if you are inside the house to give you the no stealing warning on Freedom. Then, if you are inside the house, the game wouldn't force you to build at least one door. But the moment you step outside, you can build all walls. Voila. No one would wall themselves in.

Mmm, didn't you mean the other way around? If you're inside, you need a door to get out. The game could force you to build at least one door.