Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Forum Terms and Conditions of use

You know how games get new updates and players have to click a check box, agreeing to the Ts and Cs again, before the launcher lets them play again?  I would love to see everyone in Forums have to click a box, accepting the Forum's Terms and Conditions of use.  I think it would be good to force everyone to resign a contract to continue using these forums that CC is providing for our use.

Folks, if we don't stop screwing around here, the end result will be a bunch of read only posts on updates to the code, but I'd prefer that to the constant PvF attitude going on now.

PLEASE just take a step back and think for 2 seconds before posting in anger, which will just make things worse.  We live in their house and have to abide by the house rules.  Plain and simple. 

Thank you!

• Like 4

Access signifies agreement. We really don't need a checkbox and it would make the image of the forums kinda bad. Also it would be annoying.

Your heart is in the right place I guess.

Edited by Zerocool

I agree with you, though I don't think it would do a whole lot. People don't always read, or if they do, they don't always think before they post.

I actually think there's a need for a community-run forum, similar to what EQ2Flames brought to EverQuest. It was a place to go and blow off steam when things got too heated, and you knew what you were getting into when you went there. If you wanted official support and discussions, you went to the SOE Forums. If you wanted to have a good laugh or rant madly about something, you went to EQ2Flames.

I once asked why the forums have to be moderated to the extent they are (which is relaxed in comparison to other games), and the end result is that this is a company's official forum for their product. This is where new players may come to first, where they come for help, and where new and old players reach out beyond the restrictions of timezone. It has to be a safe place, even if that means stepping on toes.

• Like 6

So if I publish something people like, I should wait till they make a subreddit and crash that for easy low maintenance word speaks?

This forum is certainly not as bad as people make it seem, I play a lot of games, I am very active elsewhere besides Wurm. Some of us myself included have their days and moments of rage with how some things are handled. Overall though this community is very mild in my opinion and for the most part mature.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

Yes, most of our community is quite mature and enjoy what is offered.  Sure we have rough patches, but we are unlike pretty much any other system you can find.  We intend to be ourselves and not mimic other entities.  It is typically only a few individuals who will try to use the rules against us or try to discredit what we have to offer for their own selfish gains.  I am sure other communities suffer far worse of that kind of foolishness than we do.  

• Like 6

quite true. This is the only forum where I've felt like I'm part of a close community.  They others are either sterile, far too big, or pure flaming madness.

46 minutes ago, Enki said:

Yes, most of our community is quite mature and enjoy what is offered.  Sure we have rough patches, but we are unlike pretty much any other system you can find.  We intend to be ourselves and not mimic other entities.  It is typically only a few individuals who will try to use the rules against us or try to discredit what we have to offer for their own selfish gains.  I am sure other communities suffer far worse of that kind of foolishness than we do.  

I couldn't agree more.

As for what Keenan said, I could see someone privately hosting another forum in the spirit of Wurm for such use as you mentioned, but yeah it would definitely have to sever any official ties with this forum and Code Club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keenan said:

I actually think there's a need for a community-run forum, similar to what EQ2Flames brought to EverQuest. It was a place to go and blow off steam when things got too heated, and you knew what you were getting into when you went there. If you wanted official support and discussions, you went to the SOE Forums. If you wanted to have a good laugh or rant madly about something, you went to EQ2Flames.

To be honest, I think this would only do more harm than good - Wurm community is rather small and sense of community is very important in its case, divining it with another player-run forum would just make both of them half empty.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Warlander said:

To be honest, I think this would only do more harm than good - Wurm community is rather small and sense of community is very important in its case, divining it with another player-run forum would just make both of them half empty.

Too late

Well, for now we happily don't have any forum that would split community, it is united under one game (Wurm Online/Unlimited). There is Steam forum for WU part of the game, but most of traffic happens here. :)

First, in my opinion - the problem is more the way moderation is handled.

Only forum I've ever seen where posts are removed silently with no notice to the user (and removed, not just edited) - and in most cases you don't even know your post was removed unless you're scrolling through the history of an old thread and remember that your post isn't there anymore.

Leads to people continuing to break rules and never being notified they are being broken until they either get a warning point or banned.

Secondly, unwritten rules of the forums, which leads people to believe in biased moderation.

My one and only warning point/ban was for challenging moderation when a video I made was removed from the Chaos skirmishes thread - if you've been to it - yes, THAT thread where nonsense, memes, music videos, and a bunch of other garbage is posted on a daily basis.  My video was removed (and removed multiple times) because it was considered a "recruiting video" and "recruiting videos" are not allowed on the chaos thread according to forum rules.  My point of view, with the mod who removed it being part of the faction it was making fun of, was that it was being removed because it made his kingdom look bad.  Unfortunately, that was about 7-8 months ago and the rules still haven't been posted/clarified.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Naio said:

Only forum I've ever seen where posts are removed silently with no notice to the user (and removed, not just edited) - and in most cases you don't even know your post was removed unless you're scrolling through the history of an old thread and remember that your post isn't there anymore.

Leads to people continuing to break rules and never being notified they are being broken until they either get a warning point or banned.

Secondly, unwritten rules of the forums, which leads people to believe in biased moderation.

My one and only warning point/ban was for challenging moderation when a video I made was removed from the Chaos skirmishes thread - if you've been to it - yes, THAT thread where nonsense, memes, music videos, and a bunch of other garbage is posted on a daily basis.  My video was removed (and removed multiple times) because it was considered a "recruiting video" and "recruiting videos" are not allowed on the chaos thread according to forum rules.  My point of view, with the mod who removed it being part of the faction it was making fun of, was that it was being removed because it made his kingdom look bad.  Unfortunately, that was about 7-8 months ago and the rules still haven't been posted/clarified.

I agree, most of the time, with believing that some form of notice should be given when posts are removed to help correct the behavior in question.  Perhaps an automated request that pops up when a moderator removes a post to clarify why, wherein that dialogue box is sent as a message to the person in question.  Not sure how complicated that is, but yeah.  Maybe possible?

I'm a huge fan of transparency, though I have nothing to do with moderation in and out of game (with Steam being the only exception). In my opinion, if you're taking an action - any action - you have the responsibility to disclose that action and the details why to the parties involved and affected by it. Obviously there are some details which might need to be reserved for security or legal purposes, but otherwise there's no real reason to keep that information secret.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Naio said:

To continue on from this I also had a 4 day ban (which was lifted later...) for posting content on my kingdoms recruitment thread which had otherwise been allowed before (Essencially competitive recruitment where you slate the opponent). I was told that there was no point reporting old content because that was before this deicision was made. I had seen no change in the forum rules for this ruling to even let me know it wasnt allowed. The reason i got the ban was because I kept posting the content which was being removed because I believed not that it was being removed (given it was allowed until my post) but because my internet was acting up as I was connected wirelessly. After explaining this the forum team were happy to remove the warning points.

In essence I would like more clarity on rulings, and at the very least a notification of why your post was removed/edited with the rule stated which you broke.

Edited by Redd

2 minutes ago, Redd said:

To continue on from this I also had a 4 day ban (which was lifted later...) for posting content on my kingdoms recruitment thread which had otherwise been allowed before (Essencially competitive recruitment where you slate the opponent). I was told that there was no point reporting old content because that was before this deicision was made. I had seen no change in the forum rules for this ruling to even let me know it wasnt allowed. The reason i got the ban was because I kept posting the content which was being removed because I believed not that it was being removed (given it was allowed until my post) but because my internet was acting up as I was connected wirelessly. After explaining this the forum team were happy to remove the warning points.

In essence I would like more clarity on rulings, and at the very least a notification of why your post was removed/edited with the rule stated which you broke.

Lucky you. lol  I received a warning point over a year ago for reposting essentially the same message 3 times.  I tweaked the message each time because I didn't want it to sound rude, but it kept disappearing.  I, too, had the same issue.  My internet was bugging out, so I'd post and then return an hour later to see if it went through, and it wasn't there, so I figured it crapped out and didn't send the packet.  After my third posting I received a warning point.  When I explained the situation they told me I continued to post content that had been removed, although I had no knowledge of it, and refused to remove the warning point.  That warning point, of course, expired later on, but it still shows up on my profile as having been there from the past.  Long story short, lucky you. lol  The moderator I contacted at the time chose to not remove my warning point due to the confusion.  I suppose I should have taken it to Shrimp.

There is another right people have that they can exercise freely without any worry at all of being censored. You have the right to remain silent. :) But that is also another American law taken out of context. 

Edited by Audrel

I agree.  Authors of posts should be directly informed of a removal of the post and why.  I've also had posts go missing int he past and just assumed it was buggy forums - much like when you see someone's post get duplicated (even 3, 4 or 5 times) unintentionally.  If we have done something wrong, we can't learn from the mistake, unless we are informed.  Could we make a slight change to moderation and share moderation information with anyone that must be censored?  It puts more burden on moderation, but the added communication could only be beneficial to everyone.

• Like 2

All it takes are a select few people to make it seem like things look more "dismal" than they are. It's easy to focus on the negative and not as much on the positive. With human nature, when something goes right, only a few people will talk about it. When something goes wrong, almost everyone talks about it.

There are some people who will put their own "rights" above others. They will speak nonsense and blame others solely to make themselves sleep at night when they've found their world has turned upside down and, heaven forbid, it could "never be their own fault". These people will not read the terms and conditions. They won't care about the terms and conditions; therefore, I don't see how this would change a thing.

• Like 1

Slightly tangential, but where we see posts that are obviously connection-related double posts, or have such posts bought to our attention, we will hide the duplicates.  The extra posts obviously don't break any rules, but this makes for a nicer experience for people reading.  If you've found that you accidently posted the same thing twice (or even 3, 4, or 5 times), you can use the report function to bring it to our attention (1 report will be fine).

• Like 1