Sign in to follow this  
Sunrayn

Bridge building warning

I keep getting a bridge warning "The tile in the N.W corner has changed since planning". There are only two of us on the server and one is holding the pole while I use the dioptra.  All tiles are flat and level.  Even after double checking, restarting server, paving the tile. changing the tile border height and changing it back, I still get this warning and bridge planning stops.  Is this a bug?

Got to be a bug I get warning that one tile is not flat and all tiles N, S, E, W are flat at same level. While trying to plan a bridge from 2 tiles away to the first floor of a building if I jump back 4 tiles and go up a level same thing.

So yes there is a new bug in bridge code it is safe to say.

Great, First waiting weeks for olives to make the dioptra, endless hunting for cochineal mega tons of dirt for bridge supports between island and mainland and finally, it all comes together and our bridge is about to become reality.  Only to be halted by a bug.

I am not getting this error on  the server i am playing at the moment.

its only a 1 tile bridge with 30 height difference, AND single player bridge planning is disabled.

So what's the difference?  If it helps, mine is a gm summoned dioptra because I couldn't get the quality I needed for the span.  I do have a lower quality I made I could try on a different bridge or gm spawn the hq bronze to finish the imp on the one I made

What is the exact error you are getting? i've tried searching the code to see what it was about, but i can't find that message.

warning: You notice that the north west corner of the plan has changed height since the start of the planning phase.

It's got to be a bug, I built a 2x2 house on the road and put a plank floor in it and still got the same warning,  Any way to GM force a bridge?

I had a similar issue this weekend.  Bridge is running East-West.  I was getting the height issue as well.  I moved the toon with the Diopter to the SE corner and the guy with the pole to the NW.  I was doing a 3 wide single length bridge to access the top floor of my building.  I also had to make sure I was facing more East-West than I was N-S but still facing each other.  After a lot of tries I finally got it planned.

- Art

Must be something to do with a tile's specific data, I successfully planned the 2cd leg of a long 3 part bridge that will connect the largest N.W island with a small island directly south.  Kida hoping this gets a dev's attention.  Don't even know if they look at this board.

There is a post in the server bug area by Jakerivers who had a similar issue. It has to do with the bridge is trying to plan it's self in a different direction then you think it is.

If the issue is the same, which is why Artheos was able to do it after moving around. 

I'm looking for the thread now and will add it to here when I find it. IF it's the same problem you might be able to plan i using the fix in that thread.

Might not be the same issue. But here is the link to the thread.
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/127679-you-notice-that-the-west-bridge-end-does-not-butt-all-to-same-building-all-way-along/&do=findComment&comment=1316156

Not the same warning but, going to try the positioning thing.  Nearly have one long bridge built and then I need a break from bridges for a day before I start on the one that gave the error.

I just built 3 bridges with a GM summoned dioptra and it worked perfectly (creative database).

I did find out that you still have to build slightly above the water level (mine refused until it was 15 dirt above the water line) for a bridge though. I thought wooden bridges needed no extra height now and could be built right down to the water level. It didn't even limit my option to a wooden bridge, the dioptra started then stopped telling me one end was too close to the water level. However, at 15 dirt above water level, it allowed me to build a stone bridge which is an improvement on the original 80 dirt I guess.

You could actually try swapping the dioptra and range pole around. Take the dioptra to the other end of the proposed bridge and use it from there instead. I found that helps sometimes, especially if it's a long bridge.

There does seem to be a bug when one or both ends are on a structure though instead of land. Drove me crazy trying to build a bridge across an opening of a U shaped building with water in the opening. the idea was to use an arched bridge as a roof over the opening.

Not always the same error though. Can't remember the actual wording but the general errors were:-

One end is obstructed - Lost count how many times.

Tile has changed - Twice.

A building is obstructing - SERIOUSLY? - Twice.

Vegetation obstructing - 5 floors above water? - Once.

Ground to the West is not flat - I'm on top of a building with a floor/ceiling to the west of me, of course it's bloody flat! - Once.

Edited by Tryst

It was the positioning for me.  Seems be very location and direction specific when laying out the bridge, a bit too picky I think.  I understand this in RL but, for a game, cut a bit of slack.  Anyway, I got a 2x29 wood bridge and a 1x27 wood bridge built.  Going to start on a 2x29 stone bridge to complete the hook up to the mainland tomorrow or the next day.  Should be easier to layout now with what I've learned from the first two.  My wood bridges, both the flat and 15 slope needed to be 10 above water.  In fact, the flat bridge lower deck beams are actually touching the water.