Sign in to follow this  
Atlas

Wurm 2016

On 3/24/2016 at 6:26 PM, Dame said:

I do believe advertising would help a lot, but sometimes I think Rolf doesn't really understand the core appeal of his own game. It's no use promising people wild kingdom conquering experiences, thundering pvp, or the idea that you are the king of a world that can change at your own whim, which is sort of the feeling you get when you read the homepage.

This isn't a fast paced adrenaline adventure game with boundless possibilities that change every week. And that is totally fine. Wurm is a slow game, and I think it is better to find out why it works, and advertise that, instead of trying to sell it with hollow words that make the game into something that it isn't.

Bingo!  I agree.  Finding that a game is not what you were expecting is sure to make you leave asap and scratch it off your list.  And on the other side of that coin someone looking for a slower paced, more relaxing game might move on without even trying it, still searching for that game.

• Like 1

-1    Game will be here in 12 months, still here in 5 years, its  got a small loyal pop, people like me  and  many others like me that  will keep paying and playing, also  the game  costs so little to upkeep per month  that it  can run  a very very long time.   People said  Xsyon would die in a year  time, been  almost  6 years now and it  still going. Never underestimate the  player or the  devs a ability to  bear the storm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fatboy said:

-1    Game will be here in 12 months, still here in 5 years, its  got a small loyal pop, people like me  and  many others like me that  will keep paying and playing, also  the game  costs so little to upkeep per month  that it  can run  a very very long time.   People said  Xsyon would die in a year  time, been  almost  6 years now and it  still going. Never underestimate the  player or the  devs a ability to  bear the storm.

Yea and Xsyon is now a free to play model. You used a very bad example. It's player base is even lower than WO right now.

2 hours ago, Arkonick said:

Yea and Xsyon is now a free to play model.

No longer, they switched back to full P2P.

46 minutes ago, Warlander said:

No longer, they switched back to full P2P.

Jooky hasn't posted it or has he updated his web site or has he emailed people saying he went back to Pay to play. Steam still shows a 29.99 pay once. Until jooky comes out and changes steam and his web and emails people I can't believe he went back to pay to play. I'll even double check before I post this. Yep it's still buy for 29.99 and free to play after that just like Wurm unlimited is. Not sure where you got your information at War but it is not pay to play with Xsyon someone feed you false info.

If you was referring to buy once then free to play yes but if you are reffering to monthly subs nope it's false. Had to edit this incase I got your post wrong.

Edited by Arkonick

On 27/03/2016 at 0:25 PM, DocStineTM said:

~650 (3/26/2016 21:00EST) players... 3 years i have been here.... down to only 650 players. where are my friends Aeris and Shrimpiie? the old agers fatboy(original) rockybalboa(original) 

fatboy is around, cant go into detail, shrimpiie is a GM and an incredibly active player, and I live in the village with Aeris and gang. I'm sure the point you're trying to make is people are leaving, but that's been the case long before this year, and will be the case in every MMO.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2016 at 6:29 PM, Niki said:
4 hours ago, Cista said:

Yea. P2P means pay once and then play. It does not mean subscription.

There was a period where Xsyon offered a free-to-play option, but that has since been scrapped. Read here:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/03/xsyon-offers-a-free-to-play-option/

Game could use a referral system, reward people with game time and idk maybe a seryll lump?

Sorry to see you quitting because of Slickshot's post though.

No.  P2P is directly Pay to Play (subscription based), whereas B2P is less commonly used but means Buy to Play (buy once, play for free after).

On 2016-03-28 at 7:13 AM, Archaed said:

fatboy is around, cant go into detail, shrimpiie is a GM and an incredibly active player, and I live in the village with Aeris and gang. I'm sure the point you're trying to make is people are leaving, but that's been the case long before this year, and will be the case in every MMO.

Am I here though? Docstine probably hasn't even seen me online since he returned, and I used to be ingame quite often for many years because Wurm used to be the kind of game where you could chill after a long day. Most of the people that started playing around the time I was have cut back on both their playing time and the amount of money they put into the game, because the more bugs the game gets the more it loses its appeal.

3 minutes ago, Aeris said:

Am I here though? Docstine probably hasn't even seen me online since he returned, and I used to be ingame quite often for many years because Wurm used to be the kind of game where you could chill after a long day. Most of the people that started playing around the time I was have cut back on both their playing time and the amount of money they put into the game, because the more bugs the game gets the more it loses its appeal.

Yeah I guess that tends to happen.  It really just depends on who you are.  I've been playing for many years, and while I do go on hiatus from time to time I always return.  I'll always love Wurm, and I don't mind putting my time and money into the game.  :)   In my opinion the game has gotten better and better over time.  I'm always impressed by its progress.

In essence the game is still exactly the same as when I started, it mostly just looks different and has a lot more bugs. Wurm Online had a lot of potential in its Beta stages that was never fully realized and that's what disheartens those of us who've seen it grow over a longer period of time. The game itself is good so it's a good thing it is what it was, but I just wish it would do what it does without all the time-wasting resource-eating game-breaking bugs.

26 minutes ago, Aeris said:

In essence the game is still exactly the same as when I started, it mostly just looks different and has a lot more bugs. Wurm Online had a lot of potential in its Beta stages that was never fully realized and that's what disheartens those of us who've seen it grow over a longer period of time. The game itself is good so it's a good thing it is what it was, but I just wish it would do what it does without all the time-wasting resource-eating game-breaking bugs.

When did you start playing?

37 minutes ago, Aeris said:

I started early 2009, so pretty close timing.  Definitely back before official release.  I don't know, I guess we just had different experiences?  I've always loved my time in Wurm.  Sure there are bugs and glitches along the way, but I've never been overwhelmed by anything of that nature.

4 hours ago, Atlas said:

Just came across this:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/19/runscape-nxt-engine-no-java/

Runescape upgraded to an engine called NXT, moving away from Java which "makes it look a fair bit prettier – while running faster than the previous version"

Graphics are platform-independent, nowadays you can use OpenGL with roughly the same syntax on both high and low-end PC as well as web and mobile and expect it to run well everywhere. :) The main and the only advantage C++ have over Java in this matter is more direct memory control as it allows to reduce RAM requirements a bit and remove part of overhead related to using OpenGL (which is barely noticeable in Java due to how GL methods should be used, aka "do it only when you absolutely have to").

Top-down view games are in addition usually much easier to optimize - as you usually don't look at things from 5m and below, there is no need for lots of details. In addition, Runescape terrain does not change.

• Like 2

On 28-3-2016 at 7:13 AM, Archaed said:

and will be the case in every bad* MMO.

no good MMO will lose more than it gains

Hmmm.... what i wish for 2016? That are following things:

1. Try to delete some more bugs, especially the older ones which are still there, please!

2. I would like to see only one PVP-Server and one PVE-Server! Both should be the Size which Xanadu has.

3. On the PVE-Server i would like to see all Fractions so that a new player can choose, like the old Golden Valley Server had! And that we can build all of the stuff the Fractions have.

That are my Thoughts.

PS: I am against an Engine-Changing because Wurm Online itself is the Problem. As lots of you already said it: Wurm is 10 years old and the code is crappy.

3 hours ago, Chikiza said:

Hmmm.... what i wish for 2016? That are following things:

1. Try to delete some more bugs, especially the older ones which are still there, please!

2. I would like to see only one PVP-Server and one PVE-Server! Both should be the Size which Xanadu has.

3. On the PVE-Server i would like to see all Fractions so that a new player can choose, like the old Golden Valley Server had! And that we can build all of the stuff the Fractions have.

That are my Thoughts.

PS: I am against an Engine-Changing because Wurm Online itself is the Problem. As lots of you already said it: Wurm is 10 years old and the code is crappy.

To refute this a bit with my own opinion:

1.  Cleaning up dead bugs is always a must

2.  One PvP server, sure.  One PvE server?  No thanks.  Trim it down a bit but don't consolidate all of it.  Also, a server the size of Xanadu is WAY too large for PvP.  No one wants to travel 4 hours to kill their enemy.

3.  Are we talking Fractions as in mathematics?  I thought it was just a spelling error and you meant factions, but you said it twice!

54 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Trim it down a bit but don't consolidate all of it.  

it would work great if there would be new decay and building mechanics. Though right now one server would be more eye cancer than actual eye cancer.

ups? i meant "Factions"!  XD

and why should it be eye-cancer? dont forget.... when gold 1 was there only was one pvp-server called "wild" (yet chaos!) and one pve-server called "jenn-kellon"! and to be sure.... i loved the old jenn-kellon the most! especially newtown which was a nice town with merchants etc.

and with the size of the pvp-server.....if you put a pvp-zone in the middle and around it are the more safe-zones then it should work well.

On 07/03/2016 at 0:11 AM, bdew said:

The complaints about Java is 99% FUD. The modern JVMs are really really good at optimizing stuff. For spots where performance really matters it can very often achieve performance very close to hand written native C or assembly code.

The main problem is bad code (and trust me, i've been digging enough through WU code over the last few weeks)... and you can write bad code in any language.

Also as @asdf said - switching to a new language will be a full and complete rewrite of everything. The chances of this happening so far into a project's life (wurm is over 10 years old now!) are nil.

Not to mention how long it would take to do said rewrite of everything.

Rolf would have to halt development of Wurm Online/Unlimited and pour all of his time into the re-write to have any chance in hell of pulling it off.

Given the current state of the dev team with the recent departures, I don't think a re-write is even possible unless Rolf closes CC and starts the whole thing from scratch, while getting employment elsewhere to cover his development costs for the next year or two (or three).

At the same time, I think Rolf has handled Wurm pretty well considering it's an indie MMO that has been around for 10+ years. MMOs are a massive amount of work to develop and maintain. He's made plenty of mistakes along the way, but it could have been worse.

Edited by syncaidius

I can't say anything bad anymore considering i took 2 major breaks due to life issues. turns out my previus post was probably during the time i got diagnosed with major depression, then i also had just become a father, but im back just like so many others. Wurm never will die in my life. to many happy memories. im in WU right now since i just had my second daughter but after my wife(yes now im also married) and I get our life more stable i plan on once again coming back. hopefully for longer this time. Love always my friends.  

• Like 1

On 4/21/2016 at 4:58 AM, Chikiza said:

-1000 Xanadu is too big. We don't need more Xan. 

Could use a shutdown of Epic, a reset of Chaos followed by a merge of the old Epic toons, and that's about it.
Freedom is fine other than the population, but that's an issue that plagues the whole game. 
The idea of just 2 Xan sized servers... ugh, I would literally quit this game.