header.png

Hi Everyone!

It's been a busy week here, with march finally upon us. There's a lot still going on but it's all a little while away, so this we'll be looking at some of the changes this week and also some of the events and competitions!

Patch notes

Spoiler
March 2
  • Custom kingdom items no longer should revert to template kingdom when the kingdom disbands. Most Black Legion items have returned.
  • Appointments no longer work for kingdoms with too low population (under 25 premium players).
  • Fix for building house walls above or below a fence.

February 29,
  • Transmutation Liquid which convert tiles and make it possible to create resources such as clay are now live on Epic and Freedom, but currently disabled on Chaos until we’ve evaluated the effects a bit more. Epic requires kingdom influence to create.
  • Changed animal pregnancy examine message to show that it is the days remaining.
  • Fix for double pray in menu when deity is mountain god and water god.
  • Fix for fences blocking surface mining when they should not.
  • Prevented some crude items being used for sacrifice missions.
  • Fixed an issue with unload_cargo, where you could use the bind on the contents of a crate, which would bug it out.

Wurm Unlimited

Spoiler

Reminder about offline mode

Server

To start the server in offline mode, start the server using the "start offline server" button, it will use your local ip, and the ports and password you have configured if any, if you have not configured ports or password it will use default settings.

Client

To connect to an offline server you have to use the "connect by ip" button in the launcher. If you are connecting to a server running on the same machine

and have not configured any ports or password you can just use the default values to connect,

otherwise you need to edit the values to match what you have configured.

If you are connecting from another machine then you need to also add local ip of the machine the server is running on.

Fixes & Changes

• Two security issues that allowed players to login without authenticating and verifying if they are the same steam user as the account they are trying to login with was fixed.
  • An issue where you could not login because there was an old socket connection lingering from a previous attempt was fixed.
  • Fixes brought in from beta
  • Fixed an issue with smelting.
  • Updated movement code, trying to make it smoother.
  • The server shutdown message have been split in two parts, time and reason. Only the time part will show as an on screen message.
  • Spell messages can now show as on screen messages.
  • The "You got mail" on screen message is now of the info type and can be disabled.
  • A fix for village destroy permission to work on structures.
  • Fixed an issue where deeds could get disbanded due to upkeep when the upkeep was disabled.
  • Finding bones should now be more likely when digging.
  • Increased the amount of iron you get from smelting rock iron, that you rummage from the ground.
  • Added new rare colors for horses.
  • Creatures should now unhitch from a tent when the tent is destroyed.
  • Commanders of vehicles should now continue to lead any animals when they embark.
  • Lowered the volume of wooden beams to better match the volume of a log.
  • Fix so that you cannot surface mine next to a fence.
  • Fix for archery killing animals regardless of deed permissions.
  • Fixed the message for when you dig up a bone.
  • Changed the size of trellises, will only affect new ones. (code size, not visual)
  • Limited take event broadcast to 10 tiles.
  • Added a check ensuring that you are on the surface when conquering towers.
  • Added a check when trying to change alliance capital to make sure they are still in the alliance.
  • Made unstringing bows part of the 'take' family for deed permissions.
  • Fix so that you cannot create a campfire if there is already a lit one on the same tile.
  • Fixed an issue that cause newly made lanterns never cool down unless you put fuel in them first.
  • Changed it so that you can't to a confession on an invulnerable player.
  • Changed it so that players can only have their religion changed if they are not invulnerable.
  • Fix so that examining unfinished items now include the rarity description.
  • Fixed an issue where skill gained was not displayed properly when the 'always' option was on.
  • Fixed is so that the contribution culling will remove the torch flame effects when the item is culled.
  • Removed the xsi model loading thread, all old xsi models should now be converted.
  • Limited the number of collada model loading threads that the game can start to 1, most models should have been converted now.
  • Proper checks were added to make sure altars can only be used on ground.
  • Reduced the internal size of markers (deed, perimeter, construction).
  • Changed it so destroy floors act as walls for Vynora.
  • The take option should no longer be visible on items in the bank.
  • You should no longer get smithing sounds when making common hats.

• It should now be possible to play the game offline.
  • Fix for incorrect height combat modifier when the opponent is mounted.
  • Fix for creation of common wool hats incorrectly depleting the weight of the needle instead of the wool.
  • The damage on a deed stake should no longer transfer to the deed papers when setting up a deed.
  • The Dirt spell should no longer work on containers with liquids inside.
  • Move actions (push/pull) should now be 5 times faster.
  • Load/Unload is now faster as well.
  • Planting off deed is now slightly faster, and on deed much faster.
  • The max allowed depth you can build fences at was changed to -15.
  • Rock iron can now be foraged.
  • Added a strength check for stealing kingdom flags.
  • Tile transformation liquids have been added.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented enemies to attack anything on deed (archery).
  • Fix so that enemies can take planted items.
  • Fixed some lingering issues with village invites.
  • It should now be possible to equip tower guards with shields.
  • Changed the creature pregnancy message to show that it's days remaining.
  • Fix for fences blocking surface mining when they are not supposed to.
  • Fix for double pray options in the menu when the deity is both mountain god and water god.
  • Killing a fog spider will now start reducing the fog across the server.
  • An issue that made it possible to get a fence inside a wall was fixed.
  • Crude axes and rock iron, should no longer be requested by missions.

Single player mode comes to Wurm Unlimited!

This week saw Offline, or single player mode come to Wurm Unlimited. Players are now able to play Wurm Unlimited without any connection to the internet, you can also direct connect via IP, so you'll be able to play on a local network! To celebrate this, I'm also hosting a giveaway of five Steam keys, if you want the chance to win one for you, or a friend, enter your details here!

http://wurmunlimited.hscampaigns.com/

Kingdom titles minimum requirement

Due to popular feedback we have adjusted the minimum requirement of premium accounts in a pmk, the new minimum requirement for titles to work will be adjusted to 10 premium players. This may change as the game progresses, depending on the populations of the PvP servers. This update will go live early next week.

Changes to the starter deed contest!

We've made some adjustments to the starter deed competition, with the following alterations:

• Removed all restrictions on wall types, all walls are able to be used.
  • Maximum of 300 house walls
  • All building resources will be provided by GM's, players can still craft everything and have their signature and some items may require players to provide the materials.
  • Players may either tender just a design, or enter to build as well. Design winners will be marked by commemorative signs, if the winners also build the design they will receive a rare trowel or mallet made of a unique material.

We hope these changes open up the entry field, and allow those without as much time to enter, as well as making it easier to build, we'd love to see you all building, rather than pumping out the bricks!

So if you'd like to get in on the action, check out our starter thread here:

Unstable client

This week saw a new unstable client release with some major changes; the development team has worked hard on optimising the .WOM model format, as well as changing the way models are loaded and unloaded. This has led to remarkable improvements on heavy load areas, as well as that dastardly travel lag, while it hasnt removed it altogether, please do try out the new client and tell us how you go.

Pending feedback, it will come to the stable client next week.

Treasure hunt review!

The treasure hunt last weekend was a lot of fun for all involved as players uncovered the mysteries behind the first explorers of Celebration. The hunt is still open this weekend but will close this monday, so get in quick, and you receive a unique copper flask for finishing!

Weekly question

This week has two questions, as I'm quite curious about them!

What events would you like to see? combat or design? Or something else?

Do you use teamspeak or other voice chats while playing wurm?

This screenshot is from Wurm Unlimited of a champion Lava spider casting a glow on the sea as it eyes the sailor passing in the night, another piece I wouldn't mind on my wall!

screenshot.jpg

• Like 7

nice changes on the deed design contest.

• Like 1

Any info on how long the discounted offer on a 2 pack WU will last?

I tried looking into that, but I'm not sure, I'll have more info on it next week I hope!

• Like 1

What events would you like to see? combat or design? Or something else? I love all the events, although I know this is what won't move you forward :D Anyway all the treasure hunts are great joy to me, how about if small, maybe not-announced-until-the-start fast to run small treasure runs that could add some spice to the daily "routine". Like random treasure chests but with a hint/clue when placed?

About teamspeak use: not using it daily but sometimes it is very handy even on PVE.

2 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

some use mumble, some use teamspeak, a few use vent

And quite a few (on PVE) prefer not letting barking dogs, screaming kids, miauwing cats, doorbells ringing, and on top of that  their own voice enter the internet. :blink:

13 minutes ago, Kianga said:

And quite a few (on PVE) prefer not letting barking dogs, screaming kids, miauwing cats, doorbells ringing, and on top of that  their own voice enter the internet. :blink:

I do try to keep the cats at bay, dang it!

What I would like to see is an update on the status of the coming Ownership papers feature that was announced here http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/131093-new-permissions-part-10-ownership-papers-future/ back in September. I am aware that it said "future", but it has been 6 months now and there has not been any update or even so much as a mention of where progress is on this, or even if it is still being worked on. This would be a hugely game changing update for me, and anyone else that deals with or manages/sells large numbers of horses, or any sort of vehicle such as wagons or boats.

I clicked the right one this week \0/

What events would you like to see? combat or design? Or something else?      Devs in PvP / raiding with players to see how it actually works.

Do you use teamspeak while playing wurm?     Yes (I play on a PvP server, it's a requirement).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MisterTeddy said:

I clicked the right one this week \0/

What events would you like to see? combat or design? Or something else?      Devs in PvP / raiding with players to see how it actually works.

Do you use teamspeak while playing wurm?     Yes (I play on a PvP server, it's a requirement).

Given the amount of flak I get for being a Dev who plays in PvP, I'm not sure the first is a good idea. I've actually cut back my play time on Chaos. Rest assured though, I'm familiar with how raiding and PvP works and it is one of the least enjoyable aspects of the game. I've also read through and there has been discussion on many of the PvP suggestion threads. Care must be taken though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Do you use teamspeak while playing wurm?

I would if I thought there was anyone that would want to listen to my chatter, and I suspect there are few who would. It also helps if a player plays with others in Wurm first before attempting voice chat in my experience, and I do not play with others, so there is little reason to attempt it.

I would like to say that I find TS3 to be OK, but I myself much prefer C3 (Vivox) for Voice. I use C3 with my family and friends when we play LotRO (because LotRO voice is poor at best) and we find C3 service to be fantastic for the most part. Clear as crystal and seldom seems to interfere with LotRO.... though I have noticed that I must login to C3 first before logging into Wurm otherwise I have experienced some problems. I suspect C3 is using Java but I know next to nothing about programming so I am unsure.

Edited by geode
clarity

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

What events would you like to see? combat or design? Or something else?

Design, over the years there have been many many awesome suggestions on things to improve the game, maybe spend a couple hours reading the suggestion & ideas page.

But for one not snowing in my house with a roof on it would be a cool new design feature :P

Do you use teamspeak or other voice chats while playing wurm?

Yes private Guild Mumble server. 

I'm always partial to Curse Voice program.  Easy to add friends, easy to start a call and add people to it.  Simple settings menu, and it isn't super bulky like other programs with too many features.

Good to see the changes in requirements for the starter town deed designs. Will GMs take care of terraforming as well, as to provide us more time to build? ;)

everyone ive ever played with has used some form of voice chat :P

• Like 1

So no real news just recaps of what happened and what was announced before?

Should be weekly recaps instead of weekly news at this point. 

Edited by atazs

23 minutes ago, atazs said:

hahaha Chill out dude.  They pretty much always announce something they are working on, and this week is one of the very few exceptions to that rule.  Also, if you didn't notice, the title of this weekly news is CATCHING UP!  When I read that I automatically think, "Oh, a recap.  Okay!"  Take it easy. ;)

• Like 1

I use to use this once voice chat.... i believe it was called WURM ONLINE :) remember when we had localized voices? you could talk into the mic and the closer i was to you in the game the better i could hear you it was actually VERY realistic and VERY NICE SOOOO NICE.... PLEASE bring it back :) granted u had to be right next to them or whatnot to talk and chat and stuff.... so teamspeak and stuff still required for communicating long distances and stuff but for the people who enjoy a realistic gaming experience it was one of the best things ive ever seen in Wurm. ;) I miss it so much :) 

far as events.... think we were told there were gonna be zones spawning mobs? and like.... we have to kill them and send em back to where they came from or bad things happen? or get bonuses for doing it fast or something? maybe.... that being said id prefer events to always be around design... or friendly things to bring more into the game.... perhaps new house wall design types? japanese style roofing? :) lalala I personally would love to be able to craft kingdom items for any kingdom on pve servers atleast if not pvp including kingdoms that are gone forever. I think if i want to create a huge memorial building or something... and showcase every kingdom that ever was.... I should be able to do that... as well as a tabard stand to showcase the beautiful tabards. I wouldnt mind being able to wear tabards of my choice again on pve if not pvp. 

just some of my thoughts. Thanks for your time!

1 minute ago, KrisWald said:

I use to use this once voice chat.... i believe it was called WURM ONLINE :) remember when we had localized voices? you could talk into the mic and the closer i was to you in the game the better i could hear you it was actually VERY realistic and VERY NICE SOOOO NICE.... PLEASE bring it back :) granted u had to be right next to them or whatnot to talk and chat and stuff.... so teamspeak and stuff still required for communicating long distances and stuff but for the people who enjoy a realistic gaming experience it was one of the best things ive ever seen in Wurm. ;) I miss it so much :) 

far as events.... think we were told there were gonna be zones spawning mobs? and like.... we have to kill them and send em back to where they came from or bad things happen? or get bonuses for doing it fast or something? maybe.... that being said id prefer events to always be around design... or friendly things to bring more into the game.... perhaps new house wall design types? japanese style roofing? :) lalala I personally would love to be able to craft kingdom items for any kingdom on pve servers atleast if not pvp including kingdoms that are gone forever. I think if i want to create a huge memorial building or something... and showcase every kingdom that ever was.... I should be able to do that... as well as a tabard stand to showcase the beautiful tabards. I wouldnt mind being able to wear tabards of my choice again on pve if not pvp. 

just some of my thoughts. Thanks for your time!

Yeah I made a suggestion thread a short while ago about bringing back the in-game voice comms.

2 hours ago, atazs said:

I suppose we could have held back the client patches to coincide with the news, but who would that serve? ;)

The news has always been a recap + new things when available. Well nothing as available to release yet!

I think some people need to find the negative in everything. I tend to find the negative in humanity, but lately... it's been a balance.

• Like 4