Sign in to follow this  
Gaffer

Heritiage Strait has been bridged and dredged

Heritage Strait, aka, Bayview Canal at N23 has been bridged at the southern end and the fords have been dredged down to the level of the rest of the canal bed.  The bridge is a short one so I think there is some question whether a caravel will collide with the sides.  So it would be helpful if someone would try that out and report any problems here.  My corbita sails through just fine.   A screenshot is available at imgur.

I don't know who did the initial excavation; the canal was already in place when i moved to the area in 2013.  Back then the entire area was sand.  A substantial fraction of Castle Island is built on sand scraped off those hills above the canal.  Schick and I spent many dark nights over there leveling  and carting the sand away in rafts.   In 2015 Bibi widened and deepened the canal bed and decorated the banks with willows and moss.  Thanks to Rollypolly for donating crates of marble brick for the bridges (the northern end will be bridged soon too).

Edited by Gaffer
  • Like 4

Caravel went through fine. Apart from running head on into a gale. 

Great news, another canal corbita-friendly! if i knew about the project, i could have helped too...

A much fancier bridge has been started on the northern end, and in fact is half finished!   One lane is already open, so you no longer have to run down to the southern end of the canal to cross.  (screenshot)

Thanks to Pride for planning; 76 masonry skill was required.

Mortar is the limiting factor; donations are welcome.

Edited by Gaffer
  • Like 2