Sign in to follow this  
Zerocool

Make rare components trigger rarity rolls

Apparently component rarity does not matter for continue commands such as those used for making most tools.

Given that attaching does consistently trigger the window, this behavior seems inconsistent. It would be nice if rare components like shafts and hammer heads actually had a chance to transfer their rarity to the created tool/ Currently, they give a minor quality boost to the created tool, but since tool quality is so low on creation anyway, this is pretty meaningless.

Edited by Zerocool
  • Like 3

Tbh making a simple item from 2 rare parts must always give a rare, or at least give a high chance (not some silly 1%) for that scaling with skill so that you'd have say 50% at 50 BS and 90% at 90 BS.

Ignore the numbers, they're just for illustration.

Edited by zigozag

1 hour ago, zigozag said:

Tbh making a simple item from 2 rare parts must always give a rare, or at least give a high chance (not some silly 1%) for that scaling with skill so that you'd have say 50% at 50 BS and 90% at 90 BS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zigozag said:

I have to give this a -1 also.  There are getting to be too many rare items in the game as it is, no reason to make them easier.

Edited by Vroomfondel

Really doesn't matter how easy or hard it is to actually get the rare. What matters is that the notion that a rare component, useful only for and implemented only for creating a product, does not positively impact chances of producing that product as a rare when used.

This isn't a "should there be more rares in the game" topic. This is a "mechanic is not in congress with associated mechanics, please bring in line" topic. The current mechanic for attaching is a 100% chance at a roll. I would certainly appreciate those odds for completion, but I'm really just against treating a rare as a normal version in terms of rarity odds on the product. There should be SOME chance to trigger a rarity roll independent of the standard window.

• Like 1

Ok, I guess getting a rare roll when using a rare item to create isn't bad, but I have to still give a -1 to Zigozag's suggestion that the chance increase with your skill.  And that is for the same reason I stated before, no reason to make rare items easier to make.

i'm sure it should be easy to make a shinie from gluing 2 shinies together. As of now, it's better to sacrifice a rare tool head than to use it for creation. That's just ######. I mentioned scaling with skill bc the only reason not to make a rare from 2 rare parts that would actually make sense is because you're not skilled enough and screw over the rare part breaking it in some way, turning it to normal. I know that there're a lot of things that would make sense that are never going to be implemented because of balance and such, but i don't believe it matters in this case.

PS feel free to -1 me but if you post here, at least say something about OP's suggestion ;)

Edited by zigozag

17 hours ago, Zerocool said:

Apparently component rarity does not matter for continue commands such as those used for making most tools.

Given that attaching does consistently trigger the window, this behavior seems inconsistent. It would be nice if rare components like shafts and hammer heads actually had a chance to transfer their rarity to the created tool/ Currently, they give a minor quality boost to the created tool, but since tool quality is so low on creation anyway, this is pretty meaningless.

When making a simple tool, that is not a "continue command". There is no "continue command" for making a mallet or hammer.

That said, a significant chance to transfer rarity when consuming rare parts like this would definitely be reasonable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

When making a simple tool, that is not a "continue command". There is no "continue command" for making a mallet or hammer.

That said, a significant chance to transfer rarity when consuming rare parts like this would definitely be reasonable.

Someone didn't read the whole topic...

Something around 5-10% chance to create a rare when attaching a rare component should be reasonable.  When combining 2 rare components this number could increase to a solid 10% chance.  Just my thoughts.

Edited by Slickshot

21 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Something around 5-10% chance to create a rare when attaching a rare component should be reasonable.  When combining 2 rare components this number could increase to a solid 10% chance.  Just my thoughts.

This works. Just as long as it does SOMETHING to create a chance for gain and a risk.

It still wouldn't be very consistent with complex item creation.

For complex items, rarity transfer chance is: 1 in <number of components>

5-10% for simple item creation sounds reasonable, but why would it be less common than when adding a rare component to something only needing a small handful of components? After all, attaching a rare to a 5-component item would have a 20%(!) chance of going rare.

One possible solution to this is to use the same rules for both, but impose a minimum of say, a 1 in 5 chance of going rare... or 1 in 10, or whatever the devs think is fair. That way, the rules are consistent between simple and complex item creation, and the chance to rare a complex item with a rare part isn't quite so high like it is now for items requiring very few parts.

Edited by Ostentatio

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

It still wouldn't be very consistent with complex item creation.

For complex items, rarity transfer chance is: 1 in <number of components>

5-10% for simple item creation sounds reasonable, but why would it be less common than when adding a rare component to something only needing a small handful of components? After all, attaching a rare to a 5-component item would have a 20%(!) chance of going rare.

One possible solution to this is to use the same rules for both, but impose a minimum of say, a 1 in 5 chance of going rare... or 1 in 10, or whatever the devs think is fair. That way, the rules are consistent between simple and complex item creation, and the chance to rare a complex item with a rare part isn't quite so high like it is now for items requiring very few parts.

My idea wasn't exponential.  I literally imposed it as being a flat 10% chance to create a rare when you attach 2 or more rare components to a finished product.  The 5%  chance comes from a single rare component, any other additions after that automatically bump the roll to 10% chance.

Edited by Slickshot

You probably misunderstood what I said.

Let's say a complex item only has five parts. In this case, the chance of raring it with a rare component is 20%. So, it would still be kind of weird if a simple item, such as a hammer, only had a 5% chance. It's better than no chance at all, but is still inconsistent.

17 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

You probably misunderstood what I said.

Let's say a complex item only has five parts. In this case, the chance of raring it with a rare component is 20%. So, it would still be kind of weird if a simple item, such as a hammer, only had a 5% chance. It's better than no chance at all, but is still inconsistent.

Why is the chance 20%?  Is that already coded in the game or just in this circumstance?

2 hours ago, Slickshot said:

Why is the chance 20%?  Is that already coded in the game or just in this circumstance?

I explained exactly why in my posts.

When attaching a rare component to a complex item, the chance to transfer rarity is 1 / <number of components>. If an item requires five components to construct, then attaching a rare gives a 1-in-5 chance of tranferring rarity, which is 20%. So for something like a rope tool, the chance is fairly high, whereas for a large ship it is pretty abysmal.

Edited by Ostentatio