Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

unstable client performance feedback

Gumbo, that definitely sounds like your graphics card (or possibly your system RAM?) is having problems related to heat.

This is a problem with your computer, not the client. Even something that spikes your CPU and GPU at 100% capacity should not cause something like that to happen unless you've got cooling issues going on or something else is wrong hardware-wise, or possibly (but probably not) with your drivers. No software should cause that, or a total OS lockup, on any modern operating system.

Blaming Wurm's client for this is sort of like blaming the weather for being slightly too warm out when your car's leaky radiator causes it to overheat and stall.

• Like 1

All I know is I've played Wurm on this system for a few years. First day trying out the Unstable client, video card fries. Co-incidence, maybe. Card came out clean, only a little dust on the tips of the fan. No scorched resistors or chips. No fried circuit smell either.

I have played on unstable for years without any issue at all.

Electronics are fickle and ###### happens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gumbo said:

All I know is I've played Wurm on this system for a few years. First day trying out the Unstable client, video card fries. Co-incidence, maybe. Card came out clean, only a little dust on the tips of the fan. No scorched resistors or chips. No fried circuit smell either.

Newer electronics often fail in a way that doesn't produce physical signs, as the components are now on such a small enough scale that you'd need to literally go over it with a magnifying glass and know what to look for. I think it was just "it's time". I hold a memorial for my favorite hardware when it finally dies... And then for my wallet when I have to replace it. 

noticed today my performance has gotten significantly worst. on deed i had about 90 fps average before today and now i get about 60. riding around i noticed a lot of stuttering that i didnt have before today.

The last couple of months I'm going on long trips every weekend, i used to have to restart the client at least 2-3 times because of the travel lag, that caused 2-3 sec of 0 FPS, then ok for 10 sec, then again stuttering, and so on till it got to the point where it was 0-10 fps constantly. This weekend i tried the unstable client, and in 5+ hours of travel everything was very smooth, even when i got back home, where i used to have a lot of lag (around summerholt market), now it was ok.. so i'm pleased about this update.. keep'em comming

GLSL Shaders still don't work reliably on older Macs using the Unstable client. Sometimes one can last 20-25 mins before freezing other times it's instant freezeup.

I have been running the Unstable client for several day now. ailing I have allot of "Travel Lag" even at low sailing speeds. Keep in mind this may well be due to poor connection on my end of things.

yesterday traveled 48km and was logged in doing things for over 15 hours straight without a single relog

On 3/10/2016 at 8:54 AM, Chiqa said:

I have been running the Unstable client for several day now. ailing I have allot of "Travel Lag" even at low sailing speeds. Keep in mind this may well be due to poor connection on my end of things.

I thought i was having poor connection issues as well it just seemed to make sense but now have run a wire directly to my router and still getting the lag issues and stuttering it seems like my computer is slowing down the whole local.. but what can you do.. btw not limited to just the unstable client have noticed on both..

PS Chiqa i noticed your deed and recalled your name from forums on the way by to "in tha cut" to see the factional fight brothers for a knarr.. nice job on your deed i hope i own one like that someday..take care..happy wurm'in all

• Like 1