Sign in to follow this  
Audrel

Strage Client Lag Seems Sound Related

Tonight I started getting what appeared to be travel lag but I don't think it is video causing it. When the lag ends, the client will play many sounds on top of each other. It's like the game is stopping until the sound plays. 

Drivers are AMD HDMI so they are updated with the video package and should be up to date. 

I've been trying to sort things out for two days now... I'll check sounds as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that the client is multi-threaded. So if another thread is blocking (preventing other threads from completing their task) then this would be a symptom of that and not directly related to sound.

I have a potential boost in performance, but I'm trying to find a good way to get people to test it :) It's a VM parameter, so no client update needed.

• Like 2

I launch from the java command line. If you want to pass it along, I will add it to the batch.

Add this to your command line: 

-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC

I've had some good results, but I'm still trying to test it.

This makes Java garbage collect more frequently and more efficiently, especially on modern CPUs that have multiple cores. If you have an older single-core CPU, it may have different results. (One of the things I want to test).

I also noticed that when running in Eclipse (which sets my heap to 4GB) my CPU usage was down considerably, yet when I added it to the VM via Java's config, my Heap was only 1GB and my CPU was being taxed. You may need to specify your heap space on the command line as well if you don't already. (I was also doing a TON of logging and profiling, which can lead to higher CPU use.)

For reference, heap space that would be good is:

-Xmx2048m

You could even do 4096 instead if you have the system RAM for it. The benefit of this GC method is that having a higher heap space shouldn't lead to more costly collections when it needs to dispose of things. :)

If I went too technical, just let me know.

Oh! One more thing...

I noticed that the WOM Model Loaders seem to be a little intensive on CPU and resources as well. I'm trying to research that too. I have set my Model Loading Threads in Advanced Graphics settings (offline) to 2. This essentially allocates 1 for the old style models and 1 for new WOM models. I was going to play around a bit with increasing that back up to the 5 it was at before.

Not too technical at all. I have a 4 core processor and 8GB of RAM. Windows seems to use just under 2 so I can allocate 4 safely I think. I will see how increasing the threads go. I have not change the config since I doubled my cores.

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_74\bin\Javaws.exe" -Xmx2048m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient_unstable.jnlp

Just for anyone else taking a look - that can go into Start > Run. You will have to change the jre1.8.0_XX part to your latest, though I recommend running whatever Oracle has on their site.

I know you've got it down :)

Ok, I added the parameters and set threads to 2. The game loaded extremely fast. I didn't hitch when opening doors or gates. Right out of the box, this seems a LOT better.

Average CPU is only ~20% and using only 2GB of ram. I will do some wandering around and check back. I need to go where it's noisy. :P

• Like 1

I didn't leave the deed because my weapon is being imped and I'm armed with a shovel... 

I visited the spots where I hang the worst - portcullis, mine doors, the brass lamp gallery. The only hitch is the wooden mine door and it has been doing that for years. (It also eats people every once in a while and a GM has to come get their souls back)

That being said, these two parameters made the game load magnitudes faster. That by itself says a lot since that is probably the most intensive model and texture pull. I'm not certain I know what java garbage is but I assume this is after you have played a couple of hours and things have not been unloaded that are no longer being used. Anyway, so far so good, Keenan. Would this work for WU also? 

It is a Java setting and not related to what you do with Java, so it should work for WU in the same way

9 hours ago, Keenan said:
9 hours ago, Keenan said:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_74\bin\Javaws.exe" -Xmx2048m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient_unstable.jnlp

Just for anyone else taking a look - that can go into Start > Run. You will have to change the jre1.8.0_XX part to your latest, though I recommend running whatever Oracle has on their site.

Note that you should also be able to use what's in your javapath folder, or at least that works fine for me:

"C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\javaws.exe"

It's just a hard link (Symlink? Junction point? I forget) to whatever you've got installed at the time, but in a way that should persist across versions. I forget when Java introduced this, but it can be handy.

• Like 1

C:/ProgramData/

is a hidden folder in a Windows environment, but the pathing works.

i can confirm this is working at least on Win10:

"C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\javaws.exe -Xmx2048m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC "http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient_unstable.jnlp"