Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #8 Competitive Spirit

header.png

Hi Everyone

Been a hot week here down under, I've been laying low and keeping cool, but that doesn't mean I dont have news for you all! Two events here for players, those with the design talents, and those seeking an adventure, and let us know what kind of news you want to see!

Patch notes

This week saw the offline mode come to beta for Wurm Unlimited. A few security issues have also been raised, which will be included in the next update:

Spoiler

Fixes & Changes

It should now be possible to play the game offline.

Fix for incorrect height combat modifier when the opponent is mounted.

Fix for creation of common wool hats incorrectly depleting the weight of the needle instead of the wool.

The damage on a deed stake should no longer transfer to the deed papers when setting up a deed.

The Dirt spell should no longer work on containers with liquids inside.

Move actions (push/pull) should now be 5 times faster.

Load/Unload is now faster as well.

Planting off deed is now slightly faster, and on deed much faster.

The max allowed depth you can build fences at was changed to -15.

Rock iron can now be foraged.

Added a strength check for stealing kingdom flags.

Tile transformation liquids have been added.

Fixed an issue that prevented enemies to attack anything on deed (archery).

Fix so that enemies can take planted items.

Fixed some lingering issues with village invites.

It should now be possible to equip tower guards with shields.

Changed the creature pregnancy message to show that it's days remaining.

Fix for fences blocking surface mining when they are not supposed to.

Fix for double pray options in the menu when the deity is both mountain god and water god.

Killing a fog spider will now start reducing the fog across the server.

An issue that made it possible to get a fence inside a wall was fixed.

Crude axes and rock iron, should no longer be requested by missions.

Offline mode

Server
To start the server in offline mode, start the server using the "start offline server" button, it will use your local ip, and the ports and password you have configured if any, if you have not configured ports or password it will use default settings.
Client
To connect to an offline server you have to use the "connect by ip" button in the launcher. If you are connecting to a server running on the same machine and have not configured any ports or password you can just use the default values to connect, otherwise you need to edit the values to match what you have configured. If you are connecting from another machine then you need to also add local ip of the machine the server is running on.

Okay, NOW it's my final form - Or maybe not

Spoiler

I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback over the past week in regards to the proposed changes to transformation potions in PvP. We understand that the ability to create, even if with limitations could still lead to causing issues within PvP and raiding. Therefore we will only enable the REMOVAL of resource tiles on PvP servers. This opens possibilities of denying resources by removing them, and forcing your enemy to venture further for them. With these changes made I can now confirm that transformation liquids will go live with the next update.

Okay, it's clear that more feedback will be necessary, we'll be arranging a new board with specific function for taking feedback on existing ideas as they near the implementation or design stage. stay tuned!

A mysterious history

The mystery of the first explorers of Celebration will be yours to experience this weekend, Enki has put together a Treasure hunt with a slight twist. Follow in the steps of the ill fated first expedition to Celebration, solve clues and retrace their steps to find out what happened on this fateful journey! I don't wish to give too much away, so keep your eyes peeled on the forums for the first clue, this will lead to the start of the hunt, and a curious tale.

Design a deed!

Two weeks ago we teased about starter town remodelling competitions. I'm pleased to say we've run it all through and we're able to announce the launch of our design a starter deed comp! The full rules and guidelines will be available here. So get some friends together, dust off that trusty deed planner, and get designing! We will have current deedplanner maps made available this weekend. The comp runs until the end of March, so you don't need to hurry, but don't be late either!

PvP kingdom talks

This week I've been busy getting in touch with various PvP kingdoms, discussing issues affecting PvP, individual kingdoms, and other various factors. It's been an absolute ball getting to know PvPers, and I look forward to reaching out to the remaining kingdoms. As a side note, if your kingdom hasn't heard from me, please let me know so we can arrange a time to chat!

Someone beat me to an "it's over 9000" joke

I'd like to congratulate becket for reaching a total of over 9000 cumulative skill points, an accomplishment that surely brings ones sanity into question, but an amazing one nonetheless! Feel free to congratulate Becket here:

Weekly Question

what kind of news would you like to see each week? Community News, Competition announcements, Upcoming updates (within a reasonable timeframe) or something else?

Weekly Artwork

this weeks artwork is of a peculiar scene, could almost be taken from a Sci-fi film, or one about people lost in a desert. (though the large planet/moon in the background might be odd)

screenshot.jpg

That's it from me this week, there's a lot to keep you all busy over the weekend, so make sure you get in on the fun!

Retrograde and the Wurm team

• Like 19

Becket, a living deity.  Congratz.  Great other update news as well, we are always evolving and improving.

So instead of putting on a simple kingdom influence check for the transformation tiles you screw PVP clusters over by not allowing us nice things.

Thanks...

Also, if we cannot even make tiles you should remove the increased requirement.

Edited by Brunwulf
  • Like 1

If your going to allow tiles to be removed, there needs to be a way to re-add them(even if its only on a tile it was removed on before and not new tiles) or its going to get pretty silly in the end I'm sorry but add it all or nothing it's going to run into trouble in the long run if people can only remove them its a sandbox game and we know that if people can do it they will and where going to end up with a map where you can't find anything because someone else got the funny idea to remove them all(not right away but do we want to be looking at another map reset in 2 years because there is no resources left from people fighting?).

Edited by Darklords
  • Like 6

honestly allowing destruction of resources with no method of creation (irreversible damage) is an extremely bad idea

just leave it as is on PvP

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Brunwulf said:

So instead of putting on a simple kingdom influence check for the transformation tiles you screw PVP clusters over by not allowing us nice things.

Thanks...

Also, if we cannot even make tiles you should remove the increased requirement.

LOL LETS REMOVE ALL TEH CLAY AND THEN NOBODY CAN BUILD LONGHOUSES!!!!111one

• Like 5

Therefore we will only enable the REMOVAL of transformation tiles on PvP servers

Are you $#%@ stupid?!?

• Like 8

Regarding the pvp kingdom talks. 

I hope u will speak to one of the few true BL players on BL epic, many people state that the kingdom is dead but one dude will always be there, his name is Lockdown, please dont forget one of the greatest players this community has ever seen.

• Like 5

This removal of tiles business is dumb. It's literally a change that encourages a level of tedium and griefing that further discourages any potential growth of the pvp servers. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Postinglels said:

This removal of tiles business is dumb. It's literally a change that encourages a level of tedium and griefing that further discourages any potential growth of the pvp servers. 

dw ill remove as many tiles as i can so the devs realize it has to be removed

• Like 3

Great news on the competition!  I'm pretty stoked.  I've created a thread in the Town Square for the possible revamping of The Howl on Independence if anyone is interested in leaving their feedback and possibly joining a team!  Check it out here.

Edited by Slickshot

What a player does to the game world should be able to be reversed by another player with roughly a similar amount of time and resources. Makes for a somewhat balanced game PvP or PvE.

I see no reason for this strange PvP difference in the code.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Okay, NOW it's my final form

I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback over the past week in regards to the proposed changes to transformation potions in PvP. We understand that the ability to create, even if with limitations could still lead to causing issues within PvP and raiding. Therefore we will only enable the REMOVAL of resource tiles on PvP servers. This opens possibilities of denying resources by removing them, and forcing your enemy to venture further for them. With these changes made I can now confirm that transformation liquids will go live with the next update.

Retrograde and the Wurm team

see this is why we need players who actually play on pvp servers to make these kinds of judgement calls

this idea is terrible, and all it does is support the big dogs and makes it almost impossible for smaller groups to establish themselves.

hey me and my friend jimmy joe bob, now have to go over 30 local distances so we can get clay for our forges and longhouses

Edited by TradingAlt
  • Like 2

Why the hell would you let people remove the tiles on PvP servers but not allow the creation??? Hello???

Dont add any of that nonsense to PvP servers please.

• Like 3

First explorers journey.... Thinking about areas around cele that Enki knows. I know of and Enki built guard tower near my one deed.... hmmmm

-1 to pvp changes.  Removal of tiles is simply an idiotic idea.  Has anyone that has done more than 5 minutes of pvp actually suggested this as an idea?  Please read Red's suggestions that has pretty much server-wide pvp support.  Do you see removing resource tiles suggested?  Please, for the love of all that is wurm, stop making changes to pvp that are not thought out, that are not discussed with the pvp community, and developed by people that clearly don't understand pvp.

What do you really think is going to happen?  Do you really think the hermit freedomers or HOTs players are going to venture out to get clay?  Do you really think people are going to load up boats or go out in groups and mine clay?  They aren't.  If anything, they will simple get it from Freedom and ship it over.  This change just makes it even more difficult for new groups or existing small groups to survive on Chaos and really has 0 benefits.

• Like 1

I live on the PVE servers, and even I can see that only allowing the destruction of resource tiles is stupid.  Go back and give that a lot of thought before you implement such a BAD idea.

• Like 1

we do not need resource changes on chaos, please stop fixing things that are not broken. thanks

I've never played PvP, but from a balancing stand point those PvP changes for transformation liquids are beyond asinine.  In my unbiased opinion, those changes should be voted on in length before being effectively entered into the game on the PvP side.  I love Wurm, and I believe in the staff, so please don't shoot yourselves in the foot on this one.  Take the time to poll the community about the balance of the suggested proposal, and don't just implement it.  The only thing achieved for certain with rash decisions is mistakes and misunderstandings.  Please think it over more thoroughly team.

Cheers,

Slickshot

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Silentnight said:

we do not need resource changes on chaos, please stop fixing things that are not broken. thanks

+1000 

hey try crossing a server border while embarked on a boat or reconnecting...

FIX THE GAME, then think about crazy new things

• Like 5

They must have asked one guy in one kingdom that said "yeah, this is a good idea", so they went with it.

I wholeheartedly understand the need to disable the ability to make a clay tile within my 600 dirt high fortress on Chaos, but still allowing the removal of clay/tar/peat tiles opens a door for griefing that is irreversible.  I understand you encouraging people to leave their deed to dig the resources they need, but there's a potential here to be painted in a corner and having to travel halfway across the server to find the resources.  Pretty easy just to follow the coast and kill every clay tile you see, since that's the only place they spawn.

8 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

I live on the PVE servers, and even I can see that only allowing the destruction of resource tiles is stupid.  Go back and give that a lot of thought before you implement such a BAD idea.

When you have both pvp AND pve players saying what a bad idea allowing only destruction of resource tiles on pvp servers is, then you know you should probably have a rethink about this decision.

• Like 10