Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Design a starter deed!

52 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

trees within perimeter for wood (not on deed, to avoid spreading)

Idea would be to have trees on deed to spread back in the perimeter once all of them have been clear cutted. Which happened so many times near starter towns it was laughable.

Carefull design can allow trees to be on deed and prevent their spreading.

54 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

No gates on the roads in and out though.

This wont prevent aggroes from entering the deed and make the fully enclosed deed a moot point, no ?

2 hours ago, KaiH said:

the deed map dump of Blackbone is fresh. no missing walls i could see.

Nice. Must have been fixed for the 3rd time.

I am confused - so trees cant be on deed to avoid spreading (?) - but currently there are plenty of trees at The Howl on Independence. What if we are going with a foresty feel for our design - is that an option? (not tree farm for cutting but simply a forest of trees - for looks - like there are already a gazillion pines there today anyway). Clarification would be great :)

Edited by Journeya
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Journeya said:

I am confused - so trees cant be on deed to avoid spreading (?) - but currently there are plenty of trees at The Howl on Independence. What if we are going with a foresty feel for our design - is that an option? (not tree farm for cutting but simply a forest of trees - for looks - like there are already a gazillion pines there today anyway). Clarification would be great :)

Not to mention the fact that there is a 1,290 slope difference between the southwest corner and northeast corner of the deed.  I'm wondering if we can rely on GM's to fix some of that, or if we should just build right into the hillside and not count on help.

24 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Not to mention the fact that there is a 1,290 slope difference between the southwest corner and northeast corner of the deed.  I'm wondering if we can rely on GM's to fix some of that, or if we should just build right into the hillside and not count on help.

"This is a community driven competition, GM’s will be able to protect and look after some aspects of the deed (such as placing of starter spawn unique items)"

i read that as the GM helping the team will do what s/he can with things the players can't do and is not limited to placing bartenders.

3 minutes ago, KaiH said:

"This is a community driven competition, GM’s will be able to protect and look after some aspects of the deed (such as placing of starter spawn unique items)"

i read that as the GM helping the team will do what s/he can with things the players can't do and is not limited to placing bartenders.

Well I already know that they will help, I just don't know to what extent.

Well, I know from a griefing incident I had that they can remove all the fences with one click each, so thats something I am counting on them to help with if need be. 

For the Howl, I personally would suggest to try to work with the landscape and not make some huge flat areas or steep slopes, given how extreme it is. Given the large slope differences it would create some highly extreme slopes if you were to try to make it flat somehow (not to mention the amount of dirt needed - and how it would not merge in with the surrounding anymore). I made an alt to check it out and most slopes are perfectly traversable, you will slide a bit on some, but you can move around the outside area of the deed pretty comfortably despite the slopes. If you start making bigger, flat areas you will start to get some real nasty slopes that people can fall from.

If you want to create some sort of view then maybe that one small tower-exception in the rule is useable to get people above the trees? (well, IF there are trees on deed? A 41x41 area with no trees what so ever? :huh: Clarification here would be appreciated).

• Like 1

On 2/26/2016 at 1:35 PM, TradingAlt said:

A better idea for this, instead of looking at the aesthetics and stuff that make people go "ooh that's pretty"

how about some functionality to keep new players interested in playing....

as it stands now new players in starter deeds have like no permissions for anything; what they need is some in depth functionality...

1. unmovable tools: forges, looms, large anvils, spinning wheels, carts/wagons(owned by players and only moveable by said player)

2. area to do stuff and provide support for new players: protected farm tiles, tree patches, resource tiles like(clay,sand,dirt,peat, etc)

3. The ability to move their stuff around the starter deeds freely and protection for their belongings as to prevent griefing etc

4. basic supplies for survival: COTTON, HEALING COVERS

I'm sure others could generate some better ideas, but right now what we need is new player retention, players who join the game run out of the starter deeds, get rekt by a wolf and then try to heal themselves. They forage for 30 minutes to find some cotton and realize how ridiculous it is and close the game never logging back in...

HELP THE NEW PLAYERS OUT SO THEY CAN ENJOY THE GAME!

This first reply of the thread pretty much is spot on why I have no enthusiasm for the contest. While I do think Indy could use 2 starter deeds (or more), and moving them to a shoreline, having a prettiest doll house contest when nobody can play with the dolls doesn't do much for me. I don't think newbies need freebies more than they start with, I do think they need somewhere they can actually do something like cut down a tree, mine ore or dig a hole.

I also think the permission changes if any, and a design contest for GV (or close GV altogether) would be much better suited to come before this contest. Make 1 server host the tutorial and put a portal in the starter towns that can only be used while players have the starter buff.

It's also been floating around that the community shouldn't/can't(whatever negative) help with the tutorial and I think that's complete bull****. Just look at the modding communities of some of the more open games and the ideas worked out are just amazing. Maybe they can't set it up or run it, but designing it and coming up with ideas to help fend off tree creep, mining depletion and permanent newbies are just what communities do best.

Edited by Kelody

1. unmovable tools: forges, looms, large anvils, spinning wheels, carts/wagons(owned by players and only moveable by said player)

As discussed in other areas, some of these are coming in. Forges, looms, spinning wheels are all features that will be useable by new players, large anvils are difficult permissions wise (cannot be planted) and carts are something that players will have the means to build themselves.

2. area to do stuff and provide support for new players: protected farm tiles, tree patches, resource tiles like(clay,sand,dirt,peat, etc)

Resource tiles and trees will be easily available either locally or within the perimeter. For non coastal starter deeds clay has been created by the GM team.Farm tiles would be open to all players and have zero protection, which would lend the wrong idea as anyone could alter them.

3. The ability to move their stuff around the starter deeds freely and protection for their belongings as to prevent griefing etc

Im not sure what this means, the starter deed will be like any deed with open permissions, the abilioty to pick up items will be open to all, it;s not really possible to restrict that to a per player basis. The creation and use of small carts will enable new players to keep their items safe, though will require obvious cleanup from time to time

4. basic supplies for survival: COTTON, HEALING COVERS

Botanising and foraging will be possible within the perimeter, supplying cotton and healing covers simply promotes looting.

14 minutes ago, Kelody said:

This first reply of the thread pretty much is spot on why I have no enthusiasm for the contest. While I do think Indy could use 2 starter deeds (or more), and moving them to a shoreline, having a prettiest doll house contest when nobody can play with the dolls doesn't do much for me. I don't think newbies need freebies more than they start with, I do think they need somewhere they can actually do something like cut down a tree, mine ore or dig a hole.

I also think the permission changes if any, and a design contest for GV (or close GV altogether) would be much better suited to come before this contest. Make 1 server host the tutorial and put a portal in the starter towns that can only be used while players have the starter buff.

Being 30 tiles away from the major shore is not a huge issue for indy, most servers are based on a lake rather than an open shore, but it is very easily accessible.

This is not a contest for prettiest doll house, this will include making starter deeds functional without removing the need to leave them. Players will be encouraged to search out trees, iron, and other resources, but will have a relatively safe place to learn the game at their own pace. The exact permissions changes will be decided by the GM team.

Golden Valley and the tutorial server is completely seperate, it does host the tutorial and is a longer term project, this is the opportunity for players to take part in showing off their community.

• Like 1

Just a bump... only a little over a week left to get your starter town redesigns submitted!

• Like 1

sadly the deedplanner doesnt want anymore on my system. i had such a nice idea....

cant i use the rpg maker?  :D

3 hours ago, Chikiza said:

cant i use the rpg maker?  :D

No

Deadline getting close!  If my math is correct we have about 43 hrs and 30 mins to go!

much as i wish i could participate in this project im way too new and have very little rep as a one month old player. however i am looking forward to the designs of these deeds. imho golden valley is mostly a showcase, and it is missing a lot of the hands on activities needed that a proper starter deed would provide. Tomatoes is technically my second toon, my first toon i abandoned cause i had NO idea what i was doing even when on golden valley.....

Good Luck to everyone who is participating. hope to see some good starter deeds!

• Like 2

Now that the submission deadline has passed, is there a time frame for when these submissions will be put up for voting?  I'm also assuming voting will take place on the forums where the screenshots and DeedPlanner file can be accessed?  Or will it be an in-game poll with a link to follow for information on each design?

10 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Now that the submission deadline has passed, is there a time frame for when these submissions will be put up for voting?  I'm also assuming voting will take place on the forums where the screenshots and DeedPlanner file can be accessed?  Or will it be an in-game poll with a link to follow for information on each design?

ingame time is now 

[16:58:17] It is 11:28:44 on Wrath day in week 2 of the starfall of Fires in the year of 1056.

so still time :)

2 minutes ago, Maiya said:

ingame time is now 

[16:58:17] It is 11:28:44 on Wrath day in week 2 of the starfall of Fires in the year of 1056.

so still time :)

Oh Wurm time?  Okay that makes sense.  I thought server time being the local server for Wurm, not the in-game clock time.

Embarassing, but may we have en extended deadline? :o When I first looked at the competition I just assumed it was due the last of April - not the 30'th :unsure: Almost ready to submit - but not quite there yet! I imagine there arent a gazillion submissions admitted?

As much as I'd like to win, I'd also like some competition.  A couple of days worth of extension for Journeya would be great! 

• Like 1

Thanks Slick - hurrying to finish it so I can submit it late, given its all I can do at this point. Not ready to lay down just yet

If you are looking for a deed plan, I can tell you I don't have any, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills.

Skills I have acquired over a very long career.

Skills that make me an asset for building a deed.

If you let my daughter go...oh wait...

I mean I'd be happy to lend some of my time and skills to building new starter towns on any PVE.  :)

• Like 2

Problems is not starter towns but tutorial.

You had something good at start , but got lost with new ones, fix that.

Plus i think you should just let the devs or GM who have the towns now do as they wish , feed back helps.

27 minutes ago, Lostone said:

Problems is not starter towns but tutorial.

You had something good at start , but got lost with new ones, fix that.

Plus i think you should just let the devs or GM who have the towns now do as they wish , feed back helps.

Nah.  While I agree with beefing up the tutorial, letting the super busy GM's redesign the starter towns is a bad idea.  This contest is a good idea.  :)

20 hours ago, Slickshot said:

Oh Wurm time?  Okay that makes sense.  I thought server time being the local server for Wurm, not the in-game clock time.

(12:00 midday server time March 30th)

haha you soo right slick ....not sure how i manage to get server time to in game time lol 

can i blame the infection I still got hanging over me ?

48 minutes ago, Maiya said:

(12:00 midday server time March 30th)

haha you soo right slick ....not sure how i manage to get server time to in game time lol 

can i blame the infection I still got hanging over me ?

Thanks for making me feel stupid. haha  I forgive you.

• Like 1