Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

[Fixed] Erupting adjacent to cave entrance messes up terrain and slope of cave entrance

Erupting a rock tile can raise a corner of that tile a bit, which is intentional.

However, if that eruption causes one corner of a mine entrance slope to rise, this causes the entrance to NOT be level as it normally is, and the tile inside the mine does not adjust itself to compensate. This leads to a discontinuity in the terrain across the transition between inside and outside.

Outside:

wurm.cave-lava-2.png

Inside:

wurm.cave-lava-1.png

Note that inside the cave, the entry is still level, but outside the cave, the entry is 4 dirts higher on the corner affected by lava.

As a result, I need to turn climb on to get out of the cave, and can see through bits of the terrain since it doesn't match up.

Not sure what ideal behavior would be here. Maybe it should do a sanity check to not raise the corner if it's at a cave entrance, since those are never supposed to be non-level?

By fixing this bug, Rolf "Lonestar" Persson and KodeKlubFree International Ltd. hereby agree to remove the Magranon domain restriction on the Erupt/Freeze Path of Power meditation ability, as it serves no purpose but to make me openly weep into my full-size anime body pillow at night, and curse the stars every time I want to get rid of a problematic ore vein or off-deed reinforcement.

• Like 2

(freezing the tile in and out) collapsing the entrance and mining it again should fix the weird slope issue. but yes a check to prevent that to happen is most likely needed.

+1 for the fine print.

Edited by Odynn
prolly not needed anyway

UPDATE:

After server restart, the inside of the cave looks okay, and can be walked on okay, but is still not level and still allows me to select tiles in other caves (and outside) through the gap:

wurm.20160229.1958_1.png

verified and added to the bug list.  Thanks for your report.

Sorry to update again so soon!

It seems like being able to select tiles through the inner floor border also works in normal mines; I think it's just more obvious in this scenario. So yeah, looks like that part is a more general bug.

I have a few additions and corrections to make to the information on this issue.

It's specifically the northwest corner of the tile lava is erupted/spawned at that is raised.  As a result, players can potentially raise the northeast, southeast, and southwest corners of a mine entrance using the erupt ability this way.

It's worth noting the corners of a mine entrance can be raised this way regardless of whether or not it has a mine door.  If it has a mine door, this can be used to raise the slopes above 90 (You can't normally place mine doors at entrances with slopes above 90, but it's possible to use lava to raise them above 90 after they're placed.).  This can also be used to raise corners of the bottom of a mine entrance (the tile border connecting to the floor) higher than corners of the top of a mine entrance (the tile border connecting to the ceiling).

On 2/29/2016 at 7:59 PM, Ostentatio said:

After server restart, the inside of the cave looks okay, and can be walked on okay, but is still not level and still allows me to select tiles in other caves (and outside) through the gap:

The statement about server restarts fixing the visible gaps between the surface and cave floor is only partially correct.  If there's no mine door at the entrance, server restarts do fix the visible gaps.  However, if there's a mine door at the entrance they don't, allowing the visible gaps to be maintained long-term (until the mine door is gone).  This makes it easy to create large gaps at entrances with mine doors by repeatedly erupting and freezing tiles, and these gaps can then be used to observe the surrounding area, seeing through terrain and into other nearby caves, where you can also highlight and select things.

It's worth noting that the level 7 Path of Power ability erupt is only known to work within Magranon influence or no deity's influence.  Additionally, certain objects can block the erupt ability from being used near them.  In particular, lamps, signs, altars, and vehicles are known to block using the erupt ability near them.  These factors can be used to help protect mine entrances that aren't on deed from being altered with the erupt ability.