Sign in to follow this  
Alexgopen

Allow woodscraps to be used as kindling?

Make woodscraps work like kindling?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Make woodscraps work like kindling?

16 minutes ago, Proximo said:

You're playing a game where people can cast magic spells.

But you're drawing the line at how we start fires and bringing up science?  LOL

+1 for non priest forge lighting magic powered by wood scraps.

+1 for distillation.

douse your woodscraps in high QL alcohol then use your flint and steel.

Seriously? I like my kindling just fine as it is.. woodscraps too.

• Like 1

Why not sow seeds directly into packed dirt? Why not set fire directly to a chunk of wood? You need to loosen it up first. You actually have to prepare. 

Why does my metal need to heat up? Tedium. 

Why does my horse need to gestate? Tedium.

Why does my character need to eat?  Tedium. 

Why can't I just mine bricks?

Actually you cannot "combine" shards of rocks to make bricks.  In ancient times, bricks were cut directly from the rock.  So hmmm not a bad idea :)

I really don't see how this suggestion, and many others, could possibly be so controversial.  It doesn't impact anyone's gameplay.  It doesn't effect the PVP meta.  And it doesn't change the balance of anything.

For example if you want to start a fire without kindling and use woodscraps, just make it take twice as long per-action to start the fire as it would using kindling.  Or add X higher chance of failure.

BAM!  That way those of you who apparently love kindling can keep using it and it remains the superior choice, but it gives people who are out of kindling or whatever the option to use woodscraps to start fire.

Banging flint on rocks to start a fire, in a game where we have permanently burning torches, seems kind of a stupid method anyway....  Why can't I just stick my flaming torch in my forge and start it that way?

well, you can already use 2 woodscrap to make a campfire, but you can't use it to light a forge

i stand corrected (see next post)

Edited by KaiH

1 hour ago, Proximo said:

Banging flint on rocks to start a fire, in a game where we have permanently burning torches, seems kind of a stupid method anyway....  Why can't I just stick my flaming torch in my forge and start it that way?

I can't imagine that anyone would object to using an existing flame to light objects, as that is perfectly sensible, but block of wood will not take a spark.

Light objects with a candle (lit)

1 hour ago, Proximo said:

Actually you cannot "combine" shards of rocks to make bricks.

That is a good point, and there are plenty of other items which can only combined within a crate. They should have the same combination requirements as a log, and the standard unit of 'rock' would have to be much larger.

Edit:

49 minutes ago, KaiH said:

well, you can already use 2 woodscrap to make a campfire, but you can't use it to light a forge

Requires either flint and steel + kindling, or woodscrap + kindling.

Wurmpedia: Campfire

Edited by Meldichoir
replied to KaiH
  • Like 1