Sign in to follow this  
Alexgopen

Allow woodscraps to be used as kindling?

Make woodscraps work like kindling?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Make woodscraps work like kindling?

Most people that do anything with wood typically build up a large amount of useless woodscrap in their bsbs.  The only thing woodscraps are used for is cutting up 1 more time to make kindling.  The item woodscraps come from, wood itself, can also be cut up once to make kindling.  Seeing as woodscraps and kindling both have the same use ultimately, why not allow them to be used as kindling in the first place? You've already cut up the wood to get the woodscrap, it only make sense. 

Reduce tedium; make woodscraps work like kindling.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Just now, Zerocool said:

Creating kindling gives woodcutting.

never said you couldnt still create kindling, just if people want to they could use the woodscrap

keep your woodcutting grind

Eh the current setup makes perfect sense to me. One makes gradually smaller grades of kindling by shaving from larger pieces using a knife, ax, or whatever is bladed.

Not all woodscrap is kindling.

Then again I grew up in the Pacific NW... timber country.

• Like 2

Long live the PNW! My job as a kid was splitting logs and keeping the kindling stocked.  I've had tons of wood scrap from projects and it generally fell short of being usable as kindling.

I think more uses for wood scraps is a good start, but I really don't see the point in wood scraps being used as kindling and I can't really give a reason or elaborate on why but I've never had a kindling shortage and making more kindling has never been a issue for me but I agree wood scraps can have some new uses because I have 30-60k of them in BSB's at any given time.

+1 This at least gives SOME use for woodscraps.  Reduces tedium too.

Nobody said it was hard.  And nobody said you shouldn't be able to make kindling for WC if you wanted to.

Enough with the kneejerk -1's.  At least READ the OP's posts first.

• Like 1

It has never been a big deal to me to make a stack of kindling's once in a while, hell why not get rid of fuel for forges entirely, then you don't even need to bother with kindling and wood scraps, they could just be on all the time.

Yes, I read the OP's post.  Wood scrap is still useful for burning as fuel.  Combine 16 of them into a 24 kg wood scrap and keep on smithing.

+1 I find it annoying to make kindling when I may have tons of wood scraps or even when I'm low on wood scrap. It not hurting anyone who is doing the way it is set up now don't see a problem.

• Like 1

I use scraps to fuel my forges.

I also use scraps to spam lots of lq kindling.

• Like 1

-1  Kindling is much smaller so catches fire easier.  Makes total sense to use it instead of wood scraps.  Personally, I gather all my woodscraps into the bsb next to my forge and use them as fuel. :)

5 hours ago, Proximo said:

Nobody said it was hard.  And nobody said you shouldn't be able to make kindling for WC if you wanted to.

Enough with the kneejerk -1's.  At least READ the OP's posts first.

K

On 2/25/2016 at 0:37 PM, Alexgopen said:

Most people that do anything with wood typically build up a large amount of useless woodscrap in their bsbs.

My carpentry is 89, ship building is 42, fine carp is 71, bowyery is 43. I do things with wood, but maybe I'm not most people because I have about 120 wood scraps left.

The only thing woodscraps are used for is cutting up 1 more time to make kindling.

Fuel, kindling, woodcutting. Yup.

The item woodscraps come from, wood itself, can also be cut up once to make kindling.

Yessir. Good way to start coal piles.

Seeing as woodscraps and kindling both have the same use ultimately

Nope. I don't fuel my forge with kindling, but I do with wood scraps. Sometimes I make the kindling for the sake of getting a little bit of lazy woodcutting without going down to where the trees are.

why not allow them to be used as kindling in the first place?

Because the simple hack solution to doing this is to make the crafting reaction generate kindling, NOT add the functionality of kindling to wood scraps. Which solution do you think is more likely, the fast one or the one that retains my stupid lazy hobby?

You've already cut up the wood to get the woodscrap, it only make sense. 

I don't trust wurm to make sense

Reduce tedium; make woodscraps work like kindling.

Keep the tedium, give me your coords and I will come spam out like 1k on a newbie alt for you some time and you don't have to worry about it for 6 months.

-1. Better?

Edit: Oh also some people sacrifice them by the thousands I guess for easy enchanting bonus.

Edited by Zerocool

5 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

hell why not get rid of fuel for forges entirely, then you don't even need to bother with kindling and wood scraps, they could just be on all the time.

it doesn't get any lazier than this.

I do some wood projects at home. I can promise you that when I'm done cutting 2 4ft lengths of 4x4 off a 10ft length, the remaining piece is not good for kindling. It is, however, a wood scrap.

• Like 1

Technically you don't get kindling from cutting up wood or trees at all!  Kindling is small twigs and sticks.  You cannot create "kindling" from wood scraps at all.

So I guess all you people hung up on realism just had your mind blow lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Proximo said:

Technically you don't get kindling from cutting up wood or trees at all!  Kindling is small twigs and sticks.  You cannot create "kindling" from wood scraps at all.

So I guess all you people hung up on realism just had your mind blow lol.

You're a cool dude Prox, but I have to put you down here. lol

The definition of kindling from Merriam-Webster:  easily combustible material for starting a fire. 

This means kindling isn't just twigs and sticks, but also wood shavings which can certainly be made from wood scraps. 

This is what I think of when I think of kindling:

http://cdn.paulkirtley.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Feathersticks_ND2_5763.jpg

The last three piles on the right are specifically what I have in mind as kindling.

And this is what I think of wood scraps (from handy-man/carpentry work I've done):

AC092754l.jpg

I think of woodscraps as being the chunks or blocks of wood left over from sawing and chopping off planks, posts, etc., from logs.

So in response to your previous comment, yes I do believe kindling can be cut from woodscraps and it commonly is. :)  Woodscraps are also fire fuel, so it makes sense to be able to burn them or start a fire with them, but I do prefer the idea of using shavings of wood, brush, and small twigs as kindling to start a fire instead of chunks of wood or pieces of log.  I've never started a campfire in real life by throwing chunks of wood or logs into a pile and throwing a match on them.  I've started campfires in real life by burning much smaller composites of combustible materials, such as twigs, leaves, toilet paper, or stick shavings.  The large sticks, logs, and blocks in the fire are there to burn as extra fuel to keep the fire going once it is lit.  Anyhow, that's just my approach. :)

Edited by Slickshot

I've never seen a unicorn in real life either lol.

I don't see why it's a big deal if someone wants to start a fire with scraps instead of kindling. 

6 minutes ago, Proximo said:

I've never seen a unicorn in real life either lol.

I don't see why it's a big deal if someone wants to start a fire with scraps instead of kindling. 

Because starting a fire with scraps isn't as easy as striking a match.  I say this in the thought of scraps being large chunks of leftover wood or logs.  It's extremely difficult to just strike a match to a chunk of wood and get it to light.  The wood is usually too dense for the heat to affect it severely, or too wet to be combustible.  If you use shavings or kindling; however, it is much easier to start a fire from a simple match because they have very little density which usually results in a smaller surface area for the fire to heat and therefor consume.  It's just a science thing.

Edited by Slickshot

You're playing a game where people can cast magic spells.

But you're drawing the line at how we start fires and bringing up science?  LOL

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Proximo said:

You're playing a game where people can cast magic spells.

But you're drawing the line at how we start fires and bringing up science?  LOL

You know full well I could look up your post history and drag out things you've defended and laugh at you for being asinine.  Don't go there mate. lol  Not everything in the game needs to be changed "just because it can be."  I think it's great that people come up with diverse suggestions for this game and even better that the staff actually post and play with us, but I don't think every suggestion needs to be implemented or has the time to be implemented when compared to other projects.  To this day I've yet to have a personal suggestion be implemented in this game, and I'm totally okay with it because I know it isn't essential. lol  Take a step back friend, and smell the roses. :)

Edited by Slickshot