Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

New Spell : Seasonal Divination

Currently wurm has several metagame tools to predict when something comes in season.  I just thought it would be nice if it were possible to do this ingame with a little magic and maybe give us our first piece of enchanted jewellery.

This spell is available to all priests.

It costs 10 favour and has difficulty 20 when cast on a tile.  It reveals how many wurm days are left (rounded down) till the target plant will come into season, if at all.

If cast on an item of jewellery it costs 60 favour and has difficulty 70.  Using the item of jewellery on a plant functions exactly like the spell and reduces the enchantment power by (11- (Item QL/10)).

Not sure how I feel about this exactly.  I know there are seasonal calendars for Wurm to show what plants come into season during certain wurm weeks and wurm months.  Highly useful already, but I don't really harvest product from trees other than wood, so I can't speak for everyone when I say "probably not" to this idea.  Anyhow, just my thoughts.

4 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Not sure how I feel about this exactly.  I know there are seasonal calendars for Wurm to show what plants come into season during certain wurm weeks and wurm months.  Highly useful already, but I don't really harvest product from trees other than wood, so I can't speak for everyone when I say "probably not" to this idea.  Anyhow, just my thoughts.

Seasonal calendars are only approximate and do not tell you exactly when a certain tree/bush type goes into season. I assume the suggestion in this thread is to give an exact number, which given how the code for determining seasons works, should certainly be plausible.

Sounds like it should have much higher cost and difficulty though, since you hardly need to cast it very often, and making it available to all priests seems a little silly (Fo or Vynora would be reasonable).

Not a bad idea especially with the new resource tile change abilities, however I'd keep it spell only and no jewlery

My only problem with its existence as a spell (no jewelry please) is that it's essentially a global spell. After all, it only takes one person to cast it on a grape bush, and assuming that person isn't selfish, they can let the entire server know when grape season is.

As a result, it's trivially easy for an entire server to always know exactly when all crop seasons are... and at that point, you might as well just not randomize them at all.

My solution to this is to make it a global spell, or part of a global spell, or simply require linking of several priests in order to cast it. Otherwise, it just becomes a simple yearly chore that barely anyone has to pay attention to, because all you need is one guy to spend a modicum of favor and everybody knows when harvest will be... which is a very low cost for the entire population of a server to benefit.

2 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

My only problem with its existence as a spell (no jewelry please) is that it's essentially a global spell. After all, it only takes one person to cast it on a grape bush, and assuming that person isn't selfish, they can let the entire server know when grape season is.

As a result, it's trivially easy for an entire server to always know exactly when all crop seasons are... and at that point, you might as well just not randomize them at all.

My solution to this is to make it a global spell, or part of a global spell, or simply require linking of several priests in order to cast it. Otherwise, it just becomes a simple yearly chore that barely anyone has to pay attention to, because all you need is one guy to spend a modicum of favor and everybody knows when harvest will be... which is a very low cost for the entire population of a server to benefit.

how is this different to one person having 1 of each tree next to their house and casually examining as seasons approach and announcing in global chats that the season is starting soon when they see the "almost ripe" messages

• Like 1

+1

The tools wouldn't be there if there wasn't a need, might as well support it better in game.

+1, nifty way to make use of the seasons and really don't see the downside of everyone knowing when to harvest...

10 hours ago, MrGARY said:

how is this different to one person having 1 of each tree next to their house and casually examining as seasons approach and announcing in global chats that the season is starting soon when they see the "almost ripe" messages

It really isn't, but if examining the tree is sufficient, then the spell is completely unnecessary anyway.