Sign in to follow this  
Xalorum

Can someone explain underwater fences to me?

Frankly I don't have the time to test out and bash fences if I'm wrong so I hope someone can explain it.

if I build a fence underwater, my boat can pass through it if locked and on deed and I have permissions? At what level does it need to be to pass through?

are there other reasons for it that I am missing?

• Like 2

While I haven't used them myself yet, I suspect underwater fences could allow secure private ports where it's actually possible to sail in and out of without having to use cave canals to get in and out.  Prior to this, having a secure private port would have meant needing to either use a secured cave canal to sail in and out or move the boats in and out via alternative means (dragging, pushing, pulling, or loading them onto ship transporters).

Fences can supposedly be placed at up to 15 dirts below water level now.  That's definitely deep enough for knarrs, rowing boats, and small sailing boats to sail in, though I'm not sure if that's deep enough for some of the big ships to pass.  Tall fences (for example, tall stone walls and palisades) could be placed in the water to secure a port (If placed within a deed on a non-PvP server, deed permissions could also protect against players bashing the underwater fences.), with a tall gate (such as a palisade gate) as an entryway.  This could allow you to control who could get into the port.  I'm not sure if low fences (for example, low stone walls or wooden fences) would be effective at keeping unwanted boats and swimmers out or not, though.

It was my understanding max slope was 14 for fences, its another way to secure your harbor if you so wish. The boats can pass through the gates just like you were riding through a regular gate on land on a cart.

I added fences to a boat mine with gates when the feature became available, was a interesting feature to try out.

MSezD6S.jpg?1

iwyMpWm.jpg?1

• Like 2

This still work?

I tried to make this and mistakenly thought it was 24 below water. Guess whose making concrete now.