Sign in to follow this  
Tallios

A Simple Suggestion <Crates>

I would like to ask that all crates be built into a "generic" form.  Meaning there is no more Cherrywood, Oakenwood, Maple, Cedar prefix on crates.

I would like to be able to sort crates by the names I give them, not by wood and then my name.  Also makes it easier for trading purposes as the cedar vs. other woods isn't relevant.

new action:  "Coat"  (active item tar 2.5 kilo's for small and 5 kilo's for large)

gives crate an "enchant" that decreases decay per tick based on the quality of the application? (based on natural substances skill and tar quality)

as the crate takes damage, the damage prevented is applied to the "enchant" coating and not the crate?

This could also be something for ships.

Well there actually is a difference in the effects of various wood types.  For instance, cedar items decay slower than any other wood type.  Oak typically takes less damage per damage tick.  Also, the various wood types used to have their own textures as well that added a different color design to objects, but those textures were cleared, as I understand it, because they were too diverse over the many objects in the game which ate up a lot of texture data allocation.  It is possible for them, one day, to return unique textures to the different wood types, and I believe they might have that on a back burner somewhere but I cannot officially confirm that.

Anyhow, those are the reasons why various wood types exist.  It isn't as useful right now as it used to be, but it is still important and may be returned to its former glory somewhere down the line.

The point of this suggestion is to make a "generic" version of the items....  small and large crates.  With the wood type in the name it makes it impossible for people to sort their crates in a ship, cart or wagon.  

You suggest that keeping the "wood types is important" because of 2 possible functions.

Oak - less damage from use.  seeing as crates cannot be used or damaged via combat this is a moot point, and if necessary can easily be incorporated into the "standard" template.

Cedar - less damage from decay ticks.  If you will kindly look to the OP I did suggest a functional way to duplicate said results with the application of tar as a non-magical enchantment.  Which is a plan to open the door to other non-magical enhancements.

3 minutes ago, Tallios said:

The point of this suggestion is to make a "generic" version of the items....  small and large crates.  With the wood type in the name it makes it impossible for people to sort their crates in a ship, cart or wagon.  

You suggest that keeping the "wood types is important" because of 2 possible functions.

Oak - less damage from use.  seeing as crates cannot be used or damaged via combat this is a moot point, and if necessary can easily be incorporated into the "standard" template.

Cedar - less damage from decay ticks.  If you will kindly look to the OP I did suggest a functional way to duplicate said results with the application of tar as a non-magical enchantment.  Which is a plan to open the door to other non-magical enhancements.

I saw your suggestion, I just....meh I don't know.  Maybe I'm stubborn and don't like changes all the time when it doesn't seem necessary.  I just feel it isn't an important change when stacked up to all of the current updates, bugs and upcoming features.  Just my two irons.

5 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

I saw your suggestion, I just....meh I don't know.  Maybe I'm stubborn and don't like changes all the time when it doesn't seem necessary.  I just feel it isn't an important change when stacked up to all of the current updates, bugs and upcoming features.  Just my two irons.

With respect; to many people dismiss perfectly useful ideas because they aren't "big enough".  Then complain when nothing is done in between big ideas.

This suggestion would simplify containers; and allow for the opening of non-magical enhancements to items.  Think of it as a primer to expanding alchemy.

9 minutes ago, Tallios said:

With respect; to many people dismiss perfectly useful ideas because they aren't "big enough".  Then complain when nothing is done in between big ideas.

This suggestion would simplify containers; and allow for the opening of non-magical enhancements to items.  Think of it as a primer to expanding alchemy.

Let me say that I personally find a difference between something being useful, and something being important--urgent is probably the more accurate word here.  Many of the suggestions and ideas in this sub-forum are fantastic and useful, but many of them aren't as urgent right now as the stack of priorities on the front burner.  We as a community know only a fraction of what the dev team is working on at any specific time, so it's difficult for us to justifiably ask, "hey why aren't you using my perfectly useful idea!!!???"  We definitely do that too much; all things should be done moderately and such. 

Anyhow, I'm not saying your idea is garbage or isn't useful, I'm only saying in my mindset that your idea isn't as urgent as the plate the devs have in front of them currently.  I'm not an expert of course, so I what do I know about anything for certain?

Edited by Slickshot

Well  I completely agree that we know only a fraction of what the devs have planned; which is why if I don't have a large well constructed suggeston.  I at least try to keep it simple and useful. :D

4 minutes ago, Tallios said:

Well  I completely agree that we know only a fraction of what the devs have planned; which is why if I don't have a large well constructed suggeston.  I at least try to keep it simple and useful. :D

That's for sure.  I try to keep a patient countenance when it comes to the development of Wurm Onine.  I'm never truly disappointed because of that patience and an eagerness to be understanding.  :)  Probably good suggestion for anyone under a good deal of frustration or stress. lol

How about you do what the rest of us do.  Reach through the monitor, grab the idiots who make lemonwood crates by the neck and strangle them.

Seriously though, +1 for this change.  Would serve as a great addition to alchemy to make "finishing potions".

• Like 1

I think someone had suggestion to be able to hide the material type, not sure who it it was (sorry feel free to scoff and post link to your post) think they were talking weapons or something but the idea of being able to check a box to hide the material type would solve this and a whole lot of inventory issues.

I tend to be ocd cedar only about crates, but lately been exchanging a lot of crates and yes the sorting drives me crazy...and yes who ever the sadist is who s injecting lemonwood crates into the world needs to be found and dealt with :) 

The obvious solution is to allow sorting all items by the custom name you've given the item, not just the generic item name. This would resolve the OP's complaint without doing something as troubling as eliminating wood type, and would have application elsewhere as well.

I could be missing something here, but...

If this is your issue:

378waW4.png

I've long used this:

nxObdHM.png

• Like 1

Keenan: Yeah, but he wants to sort them by custom name. Even with that option set, the custom name comes after the material name, so they wind up sorted by material first.

thanks for that keenan; didn't know there was a hide materials option.  The only thing is that doesn't seem to remove the wood type from sorting.  it just changes the word positions.

Edited by Tallios