Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

[PvP] PMK Member List (Teaser)

Note: Roster sounded strange, so member list it is! Have a better suggestion? Comment!

I've been so busy in real life lately that I haven't contributed a whole lot to the team, but I'm excited about a feature that should be ready soon. Now I know... I know... "But Keenan, this is for PvP only." - But remember when I gave you Plot Course? Can I still feel the love? Rest assured, I will be working on many other things in the coming months and not all will be PvP-centric.

So if you've ever been in a PMK (Player-made Kingdom), one thing you might have realized is that there's no easy way to know who all is in your kingdom as well. This is why most PMKs use an alliance. Still, I've always thought it proper for a ruler to be able to see who his or her subjects are. Thus I give you... the Kingdom Member List!

LpopHYZ.png

Rulers of a PMK can use their sceptre/staff/claw (herein known as royal beating stick) to view a member list that shows information about their kingdom members. Simply activate the royal beating stick, and click Kingdom roster (soon to be Member list) as shown below (updated image pending).

5vE14P0.png

Now I know... I KNOW! "Keenan! Why wasn't this in the news?" -- Well, I forgot to tell Retrograde.

A few notes on how this works:

• This is only available for player-made kingdoms. Template kingdom rulers will NOT have a member list available. This is intentional.
  • As stated, only the ruler of the kingdom can see this member list.
  • The "Appoint" and "Expel" actions cannot be performed to members who are offline or off-server at this time, same as they function now.
  • The number next to the name will be going away... it was there for debugging purposes!
  • The member list is paginated, with a maximum of 25 entries per page. This may increase some if desired. (This is not shown here as I have yet to create that many alts on my local test server!)

AND NOW... I invite feedback! You can either respond here, send me a forum PM, use my official email (keenan@wurmonline.com), send me a direct message on Twitter (@xorith), or find me in IRC perpetually.

Thank you! 

P.S. -- Retrograde, please don't kill me. :) 

Edit & Update

The last bit that I really needed to work out was the Appoint functionality. Like I said before, the idea is to provide easier access to what you can already do. If you're already looking at a member on the member list, why not appoint from there?

Here is my mock up of how I have the appoint window laid out:

b87OckM.png

As you can see, I've just mimicked the same functionality that kings have through their Appoint interface. The only real difference here is that there's some pretty colors and you don't have to try to set a title/order/office and get a failure message back to know why. 

For those of you who are not familiar with PvP or PMKs: Orders and Titles are given out by a king. The specific titles and number available to award is dependent on the land you control in PvP. In this mock up, I've populated the largest amount of data possible to make sure everything lays out nicely, but new PMKs will only see a few of each to start. Offices are official positions, and most come with a bonus or ability. While titles and orders have a set amount that resets weekly, offices have a week long cool down and you can only give them to one person at a time.

Offline/Off-server Expel

I do understand that this is a desired change, and I am definitely looking in to the possibility of allowing this. I have to make sure the following is possible:

• Checks can be made to ensure an expelled player doesn't sneak back in unwanted.
  • That the expelled player is notified of this action either at the time it occurs or when they next login when offline.
  • That upon returning to Chaos, any required deity changes happen automatically and properly. (This has been reported as an issue for normal kingdom changes as well)

The second bullet point above is the hardest part in all of this because Wurm is a multi-server system. 

Edited by Keenan
4am mock-ups are cool
  • Like 12

Keenan bringing out much needed updates again! which should have been in the game from the very start.

+1

6 minutes ago, Hoppy said:

Can we add golems now to do stuff

No.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hoppy said:

Keep up the good work slave I mean keenan peon. :D

• Like 2

Very very nice update..

Now how about the ability to kick offline player's and players on other servers?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaurizioAM said:

Very very nice update..

Now how about the ability to kick offline player's and players on other servers?

I don't like making promises I may not be able to keep, but this is something I plan to look in to. The complication being that Wurm servers each hold their own version of you from the last time you were on that server. Since the current way it works isn't really "broken" so much as "lacking features", I don't want to try to "fix it" without making sure it will work properly and not cause weird situations. :)

• Like 2

Looks great Keenan, and the flowers are lovely too.

Can I has fantastic pumpkin seeds too?

whats the reason for template kingdoms to not have access to this?

So you still can't kick offline people in your kingdom?

Meh 

3 hours ago, Xalorum said:

whats the reason for template kingdoms to not have access to this?

A template kingdom is not a player made one... So limited abilities apply. Imagine someone ruling over freedom and saying.. Nope your out, you too... Template kingdoms should never have this ability.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MaurizioAM said:

A template kingdom is not a player made one... So limited abilities apply. Imagine someone ruling over freedom and saying.. Nope your out, you too... Template kingdoms should never have this ability.

Perfect explanation.

5 hours ago, atazs said:

So you still can't kick offline people in your kingdom?

Meh 

As I mentioned in a comment, this is being explored. I just don't like to promise bells and whistles when I'm still in the process of assessing if I can even make it happen. I have some theories on how I could do it, and I'm actually a little more confident today than I was yesterday, but this is something that I really won't be able to test thoroughly before Live due to the limited servers I can spawn up and the limited number of situations I can create. Because of that, I'm going to make absolutely sure I can do it and without breaking anything else. 

2 hours ago, MaurizioAM said:

Perfect explanation, though I would also like to add that template kingdoms have always had the disadvantage of not being able to really control who came and went into your kingdom. They are essentially "public" kingdoms. There's also the fact that the ruler of a PMK is very much a decision that is made, where as the ruler of a template kingdom is often the result of a random dice roll. 

All in all, I hope this update provides some added value to those who have already paid a gold for their PMK, or might make the idea of founding one more enticing.

• Like 1

Edited with a new window to show and a name change! Suggestions for an awesome name are welcome. Otherwise it will be "Member list" :)

Golems? I thought that was what enslaving civilizing the goblin race was for?

While it's great that there is work being done for the pvp servers I'm gonna say one word, optics. 

17 hours ago, Postinglels said:

While it's great that there is work being done for the pvp servers I'm gonna say one word, optics. 

Wat?

So aside from lasers, any other feedback?

I've hit a snag on the appointment window, but I should be able to work through that later today. I would have had a bit more time yesterday, but seeing Deadpool was something I couldn't pass up.

• Like 1

Pleeeeaaaase make it so we can kick offline. We love you long time if you can!