Sign in to follow this  
Radar

Wanting Map Critique

Our community is working on a new WU server and have designed this PVP map.  Looking for some possible points that could use some changing before we go live with the map.

The map size is 4096 x 4096

I'm happy with the overall look of the map land mass wise.  

Things on my list currently (will add as receive feedback)

Clay patches are way too big (almost all of them)

No slope exists above 40 currently (that we have found) -- Is this a good or a bad thing? Only way to fix as far as far as I know is to regen the map and redo all of the biomes.

Feedback for the map is appreciated

http://www.atgaming.net/dev/map -- Interactive live map

UBXcLfZ

Edited by Radar
added map image -- not sure why it's a broken link

To much water, not enough dirt on the mountains should only have bare rock on the sides of steep slope's, and there is a massive shortage of tree's on the map.

That's what I see that need's changing.

3 hours ago, Radar said:

Our community is working on a new WU server and have designed this PVP map.  Looking for some possible points that could use some changing before we go live with the map.

The map size is 4096 x 4096

I'm happy with the overall look of the map land mass wise.  

Things on my list currently (will add as receive feedback)

Clay patches are way too big (almost all of them)

No slope exists above 40 currently (that we have found) -- Is this a good or a bad thing? Only way to fix as far as far as I know is to regen the map and redo all of the biomes.

Feedback for the map is appreciated

http://www.atgaming.net/dev/map -- Interactive live map

UBXcLfZ

1 hour ago, Arkonick said:

To much water, not enough dirt on the mountains should only have bare rock on the sides of steep slope's, and there is a massive shortage of tree's on the map.

I definitely disagree with Arkonick about the water, seems to be a solid amount of land IMO.

The dirt levels are debatable, a lot of mountain peaks tend to be barren, and you said yourself the slope max for dirt is 40, so it looks like a decent mix along the mountainsides.

I do agree heartily with the trees though, big patches of forest are great, but there's just too much bare land. There should be trees more heavily peppered around the map, and please, for the love of the Gods, make sure there's tree diversity! I always see maps where it's like, 'Here's a giant forest with nothing but Oak, and this one is ALL Cedar!" It really kills the immersion.

Otherwise, I think it land masses look pretty great, though I wish the community could come up with a way to alter the geometry of the land building to kill the square land effect.

Smaller is better in my opinion, 4096 is a map the size of Chaos and Elevation. Both are so large that unless you have lots and lots and lots of players then people will be too far apart for constant pvp.

A 1024 map would force the warring sides closer together and would likely do wonders for constant PVP. You want there to be tension around land ownership, something a smaller map will make happen automatically.

2 hours ago, Arkonick said:

I liked the land mass, but I'll wait to hear more feedback on what the community thinks.  I do agree with the tree now that it is pointed out and seeing it in game.  I'll add lots and lots of trees.

1 hour ago, Syphorus said:

I definitely disagree with Arkonick about the water, seems to be a solid amount of land IMO.

The dirt levels are debatable, a lot of mountain peaks tend to be barren, and you said yourself the slope max for dirt is 40, so it looks like a decent mix along the mountainsides.

I do agree heartily with the trees though, big patches of forest are great, but there's just too much bare land. There should be trees more heavily peppered around the map, and please, for the love of the Gods, make sure there's tree diversity! I always see maps where it's like, 'Here's a giant forest with nothing but Oak, and this one is ALL Cedar!" It really kills the immersion.

Otherwise, I think it land masses look pretty great, though I wish the community could come up with a way to alter the geometry of the land building to kill the square land effect.

I tend to agree with the land mass, I like the shape and feel, but will also wait to hear more feedback before changing that part of it.

I will for sure be adding trees, about diversity.  We have every kind of tree in patches some mixed, but not alot of them mixing.  Do you want to see forests with many different kinds of trees?

27 minutes ago, Nappy said:

Smaller is better in my opinion, 4096 is a map the size of Chaos and Elevation. Both are so large that unless you have lots and lots and lots of players then people will be too far apart for constant pvp.

A 1024 map would force the warring sides closer together and would likely do wonders for constant PVP. You want there to be tension around land ownership, something a smaller map will make happen automatically.

We plan to eventually have a large PVP community, would 200 people fit well in a 1024 map?  We choose the bigger map for that reason, but now I'm walking around through it it seems very large.  If we plan to get 200 players (through paid/unpaid advertising) is 1024 to small or would 4096 be better for that many players?  I know it won't happen immediately but have to look at the long term picture too.  Tho I suppose we could always open up another server as well.  So many options.

12 hours ago, Radar said:

I will for sure be adding trees, about diversity.  We have every kind of tree in patches some mixed, but not alot of them mixing.  Do you want to see forests with many different kinds of trees?

I really like the idea of diverse forests. Maybe a dominant tree, with a few different types of other trees scattered into it.