Sign in to follow this  
platinumteef

stop applying graphics updates in the middle of the day

its a pain in the ass

Having to relog every 15 minutes due to various client leaks/bugs/crashes etc on a pvp server sucks. Having to wait 30 minutes for a client to update during one of your relogs is worse. 

edit: oh my god guys, I meant the Wurm day, who knew? 

Edited by platinumteef

As someone that plays at night, I'd have to say that they should also not apply updates in the middle of the night as it is an inconvenience when I have to relog.

• Like 1

How about being sensible and apply them at server restarts?

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 2

+1 apply updates to server restarts. 
Really silly to update the game mid day when the game crashes so often for everyone.

• Like 3

It's the middle of the night at some point at all times, bud.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Oreo said:

It's the middle of the night at some point at all times, bud.

Doesn't change the fact that it should be done at server restarts, bud.

Everyone loves downloading 1gb graphics jar at any time of the day every 48 hours right? right?

• Like 1

Would also be nice if what was said is fixed in patch notes is actually fixed :)

• Like 2

The only real issue here is when you see 

"updated graphics should load faster and be smoother"

and your first thought is "oh god how could they make this game possibly run any worse"

Lol. You are aware that the term "in the middle of the day" is totally meaningless? You may not have noticed that we live on a rotating globe, and what is "day" for you is "in the middle of the night" for others. :)

(Actually, yesterday's update occurred late at night - from the game company's point of view.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yaga said:

Lol. You are aware that the term "in the middle of the day" is totally meaningless? You may not have noticed that we live on a rotating globe, and what is "day" for you is "in the middle of the night" for others. :)

(Actually, yesterday's update occurred late at night - from the game company's point of view.)

he explained he means to do all updates when server restarts. not randomly at any time. that would be then the middle of the play day. i think its a good suggestion because people

would be better prepared to avoid the hanging processes that prevent them from updating and not knowing how to fix it, theres other reasons why it would be a

good practice. but hey lets keep it constructive, right?

fun fact: playing on main its winter, log in an alt and its spring time. wogic :blink:

Edited by Griffith

Sorry guys let me update my original post due to the fact that people can't deduce that middle of the day means during the middle of the Wurm day(you know, after the server time resets).  I had that specifically pointed out earlier in an earlier post but it was removed. Its pretty funny that a CM insulting my intelligence in a suggestion thread couldn't figure that out. :).

Apparently its a mind blowing concept that people from multiple time zones play this game. 

Edited by platinumteef

See this thread for a solution.

Just make it so you can connect with old packs. I'm sitting here on a 100mbps internet connection and because the Wurm server is being hammered so much it's going to take me 4 hours to download this bloody thing

7ec72cad20.png

100mbps?

wow

dingo net at its finest, literally

i like it the most when my client crashes during pvp and i have to download the patch which usually results in death.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Stik said:

Doesn't change the fact that it should be done at server restarts, bud.

That's not a fact. It's merely an opinion.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Arvid said:

That's not a fact. It's merely an opinion.

until you crash and lose 500euro worth of stuff because you have to download a graphics pack i guess it could be considered an opinion.

theres more than one reason that its basically the industry standard to release patches on restarts and/or maintenance.

Edited by Propheteer

+1 do it at maintenance restart.

Now I'm not real tech savy but isn't there a faster/better way to download and apply these graphics files rather than 1 file at a time?

You are right about the problem, but not the solution. The problem of forced updates during play can be better handled by a combination of two solutions.

First, as several people have said, allow loading outdated graphics packs. The genie is out of the bottle on client security, might as well abandon the notion that players gain by exploiting the graphics packs.

Second, preload the changes. Load in the absolute essentials for play (One tile texture, one fence, one wall, etc) and then let me connect. Download the rest in the background and don't bother me with it. You end up with a more robust client this way as well.

I work during those hours, so its all good here :P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Klaa said:

I work during those hours, so its all good here :P

Haha.  Throw everyone under the bus.  As long as my gameplay is good and timely who cares! lol

• Like 1

the option i would prefer the most wold be if stuff in the *.jar files would be loaded "while" i am playing and replace the *jar when i log out (including a check if there is another client running).

basicly allowing me to play with "older" content.

30 minutes ago, KaiH said:

the option i would prefer the most wold be if stuff in the *.jar files would be loaded "while" i am playing and replace the *jar when i log out (including a check if there is another client running).

basicly allowing me to play with "older" content.

That could introduce issues with lower tier connections using up all of their bandwidth to be downloading an update ( that they might not even realize they're downloading ) meanwhile they're doing something such as PvP ingame.

On 2/18/2016 at 2:26 PM, Propheteer said:

i like it the most when my client crashes during pvp and i have to download the patch which usually results in death.

you know you can refuse to download the image jar, right? so you can get back in in a hurry

lkpbd3l.png

Edited by ClericGunem

On 2/18/2016 at 4:22 PM, Propheteer said:

until you crash and lose 500euro worth of stuff because you have to download a graphics pack i guess it could be considered an opinion.

theres more than one reason that its basically the industry standard to release patches on restarts and/or maintenance.

and also not to do it on Friday