Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

[ABANDONED] Wurminian Pacifist Mod

This is a mod whose goal is to provide alternatives or substitutes to all things related to fighting and killing. 

:Required:
Ago's WurmServerModLauncher. https://github.com/ago1024/WurmServerModLauncher/releases v0.15
WU 1.0.0.1 (not tested with WU 1.0.0.0 but it should work)

:Install:
Get one of the archive releases and unpack it into the mods folder. The folder path should look something like this: ~Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\mods
Get a release from github: https://github.com/Joedobo27/wurminianpacifistmod/releases/tag/v1.0

For the initial release I've just done crafting a pelt from cotton, crafting a bed from cotton instead of furs, and an option to move all tools made with weaponsmithing over to black smithing.

I like these ideas:

1. crushing or extracting the essence from rares. This essence would be for a specific WU material type. For example extracting from a rare rock shard would give stone essence. I'm not sure if extracting from say a rare hammer should give metal or tool essence. The essences would likely be extracted with alchemy and then combined in various ways to make imbuing oils. For example the mining oil would be made with stone and metal essence. I still need to figure out how much essence, chances, potency and all. It's just a rough idea at the moment.

2. Healing covers need to be changed so there are alternatives as good as tooth plus gland. Weight is just as important as potency which is why black mushroom is not as good. I got a plan for this which entails moving healing covers to the crafting UI (fixes the weight issue) and re-doing the potency of plants.

3. There needs to be ways that folks can make 100% safe travel paths and working areas. I'm not sure how to do it and I think it's likely going to be difficult. Depending on how difficult will decided if this point ever gets made.

4. Substitute for bladders. Milk + a vegetable based rennet = curd slurry. Make the cheese press with cloth squares instead of a blader. cheese press on curd slurry = cheese (maybe some whey).

5. Substitute for Cochineal (red dye making). Plenty of info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_dye. I'll most likely add a new botanize plant.

What else would you like to see?

Edited by joedobo

I am not trying to belittle your ideas of being a pacifist, but a true pacifist that never killed at least in self defense would eventually end up dead unless there was someone else to kill off everything for them. If mankind started out as just pacifist the species would have died out a long time ago.

That being said, there are some things you could do already. You can put up fences and walls to keep the aggressive creatures out.

Romen you're assuming I care about realism. Agreed, fighting (both simple fist brawls and all out killing war) are part of human nature. My ideal fantasy world has completely optional fighting. It simply doesn't matter if such a thing doesn't conform to some realistic simulation inspired world.

Fences and walls aren't good enough. Some example of what would be good enough are road tiles where its impossible for mobs to attack you or instant teleporting wiz killing deed and tower guards.

I've had lots of fun in games where fighting was either not existent or optional: Free Realms(dead now but it was fun), A tail in the desert, minecraft(modded to make mobs easy), Ultima Online(I didn't do most mob fighting and zero pvp), Xsyon pve, and guess what...most of my 8 some odd years playing Wurm Online.

Why don't you just looking into the 'Love Effect' ability from PoL and code that in so everyone has it forever.. that way animals will be friendly until engaged.

12 hours ago, joedobo said:

This is a mod whose goal is to provide alternatives or substitutes to all things related to fighting and killing. 

:Required:
Ago's WurmServerModLauncher. https://github.com/ago1024/WurmServerModLauncher/releases v0.15
WU 1.0.0.1 (not tested with WU 1.0.0.0 but it should work)

:Install:
Get one of the archive releases and unpack it into the mods folder. The folder path should look something like this: ~Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\mods
Get a release from github: https://github.com/Joedobo27/wurminianpacifistmod/releases/tag/v1.0

For the initial release I've just done crafting a pelt from cotton, crafting a bed from cotton instead of furs, and an option to move all tools made with weaponsmithing over to black smithing.

I like these ideas:

1. crushing or extracting the essence from rares. This essence would be for a specific WU material type. For example extracting from a rare rock shard would give stone essence. I'm not sure if extracting from say a rare hammer should give metal or tool essence. The essences would likely be extracted with alchemy and then combined in various ways to make imbuing oils. For example the mining oil would be made with stone and metal essence. I still need to figure out how much essence, chances, potency and all. It's just a rough idea at the moment.

2. Healing covers need to be changed so there are alternatives as good as tooth plus gland. Weight is just as important as potency which is why black mushroom is not as good. I got a plan for this which entails moving healing covers to the crafting UI (fixes the weight issue) and re-doing the potency of plants.

3. There needs to be ways that folks can make 100% safe travel paths and working areas. I'm not sure how to do it and I think it's likely going to be difficult. Depending on how difficult will decided if this point ever gets made.

What else would you like to see?

For number three i'll give you a hint.   You can modify animal behavior using a Focus zone the length of the path.   

16 hours ago, joedobo said:

Romen you're assuming I care about realism. Agreed, fighting (both simple fist brawls and all out killing war) are part of human nature. My ideal fantasy world has completely optional fighting. It simply doesn't matter if such a thing doesn't conform to some realistic simulation inspired world.

Fences and walls aren't good enough. Some example of what would be good enough are road tiles where its impossible for mobs to attack you or instant teleporting wiz killing deed and tower guards.

I've had lots of fun in games where fighting was either not existent or optional: Free Realms(dead now but it was fun), A tail in the desert, minecraft(modded to make mobs easy), Ultima Online(I didn't do most mob fighting and zero pvp), Xsyon pve, and guess what...most of my 8 some odd years playing Wurm Online.

I wasn't talking about people fighting other people. I was referring to the fact that there are aggressive animals in our world and if you didn't fight to defend yourself you would likely die.

There is a setting for the server for the percentage of aggressive animals (vs. non-agressive). I don't know if 0 is an acceptable value, you'd have to try it. If you can't use 0 then maybe 1% would keep the number so small you won't really have to worry about too many.

As for fighting people just use PVE mode and a Creative server and there won't be any worries there either.

Thanks for the tips guys. It all sounds like good places to investigate and see if I can reuse those mechanics.

- I've considered making mobs all blue. 

- in addition to Fo priest and PoL there is that newbie buff thing that reduces the chance of being targeted. I'm not sure if I can reduce it so much that no targeting is virtually guaranteed.

- Setting Aggro to 0% completely removes the option to fight. I'd rather it stay as an option.

Substitute are needed for cochineal and bladders. I'll add those to the list.

Also a substitute for animal fat if that hasn't been noted yet. Needed for candles and the oh-so-useful farmer's salve off the top of my head; perhaps more as well.

How about wax as a sub for animal fat? could even eventually turn into a whole new crafting subset with beekeeping...  Raise beehives, the bees could assist with farming (pollinating crops for a small gain boost), produce wax and honey (cooking tie-in), requires Animal Husbandry to keep the bees healthy etc etc....

I like the bee keeper idea. It is what I leaned towards at first. My issue with it is I think it needs a thorough mod with lots of features.

At the moment I'm planning on adding a new foraging item to the game called a Wax gourd.  One can either extract wax from it or turn into a Gourd canteen (water skin sub),

Is this mod still in the works?  I have a couple of players who would really appreciate having a pacifist option.  For us, the ability to craft things in an alternative way is more important than 100% avoiding fighting. 

@BattaNo, I don't even have it with the mods that get loaded for WU anymore. I ended up using the script runner to make things like a pelt from cotton.

Spoiler

var CreationEntryCreator = Packages.com.wurmonline.server.items.CreationEntryCreator;
var SkillList = Packages.com.wurmonline.server.skills.SkillList;
var ItemList = Packages.com.wurmonline.server.items.ItemList;
var CreationCategories = Packages.com.wurmonline.server.items.CreationCategories
var Logger = Packages.java.util.logging.Logger;
var logger = Logger.getLogger("com.joedobo27.scriptRunnerMods.make-pelt-from-cotton");

function onServerStarted(){
	var pelt = CreationEntryCreator.createSimpleEntry(SkillList.CLOTHTAILORING, ItemList.scissors,
                    ItemList.clothYard, ItemList.pelt, false, true, 0.0, false, false, CreationCategories.TOOLS);
    pelt.setDepleteFromTarget(300);
    logger.info("Pelt can be made from a cloth square + scissors.");
	var backPack = CreationEntryCreator.createSimpleEntry(SkillList.CLOTHTAILORING, ItemList.needleIron,
                    ItemList.clothYard, ItemList.backPack, false, true, 0.0, false, false, CreationCategories.BAGS);
	backPack.setDepleteFromTarget(2000);
	logger.info("Backpack can be made from a cloth square + needleIron.");
}

For the ideas above #1 and #2, it would be custom action performers adding new supplementary content. New items would likely need to be made for #1. Healing covers are made in a weird way and that's why I couldn't just add new creation-entries.

For #3 it isn't likely to happen as it would require modifying how default WU code functions.

For #4 and #5, I'd make script-runners that use existant WU items and simply add new creation entries.

@joedobo Unfortunately, I don't know any coding, so I don't understand what making script-runners means. But thank you for responding.