Sign in to follow this  
Kswords

Rarity Change Suggestion

This.. this is crap right here.

[21:41:54] You have a moment of inspiration...
[21:41:54] You create a kindling.

I'm tired of seeing this after weeks of improving items 2-6 hours a day only to get:

[23:10:23] You have a moment of inspiration...

[23:10:23] The long sword blade needs to be sharpened with a whetstone.

Nothing. No rare.

Now I could understand if I failed to improve the item, but there is no reason for the visual/event message to show up if I'm just going to fail to make it rare anyway.

My suggestion is this:

Remove the rare roll message and visual effect on all failed rolls.

Only show rare roll message and visual on successful rolls.

Edited by Kswords
  • Like 9

-1 I don't really want to see the devs working to rewrite code that is already working, even if it is frustrating.  We used to have a problem with those that found out they could stop a rare roll if it failed, but that was fixed so that the rare roll doesn't change the item to rare until the end of the roll, if it was successful.  Personally I have my village timer set to 10 seconds on rare rolls, so I have time to go watch and see if it goes rare when I hear the drumroll, if I was working on my alt when it started.  I enjoy the waiting in anticipation to see if I get a rare or not.

Besides, this won't cure what is likely your bigger frustration.  We all know that the unwritten rule is that the chance of an item going rare on a rare roll is inversely proportional to the in-game value of the item.  That's why we all get lots rare dirts and rock shards, but seldom get rare weapons.  But we all also know there is a market reason for this to happen, so what can you do?

Edited by Vroomfondel

18 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

-1 I don't really want to see the devs working to rewrite code that is already working, even if it is frustrating.  We used to have a problem with those that found out they could stop a rare roll if it failed, but that was fixed so that the rare roll doesn't change the item to rare until the end of the roll, if it was successful.  Personally I have my village timer set to 10 seconds on rare rolls, so I have time to go watch and see if it goes rare when I hear the drumroll, if I was working on my alt when it started.  I enjoy the waiting in anticipation to see if I get a rare or not.

Besides, this won't cure what is likely your bigger frustration.  We all know that the unwritten rule is that the chance of an item going rare on a rare roll is inversely proportional to the in-game value of the item.  That's why we all get lots rare dirts and rock shards, but seldom get rare weapons.  But we all also know there is a market reason for this to happen, so what can you do?

Do you understand what I'm saying?

It's not a huge change. It's just getting rid of the visual/messages upon a roll that isn't going to succeed. A "troll roll" if you will.

i.e.

There was no rare upon a successful improvement of this item so there shouldn't have been a "Moment of inspiration".

Same thing with a failed improvement. The "Moment of Inspiration" should not appear.

Btw yeah it doesn't get rid of my bigger frustration, but it does help eleviate it.

Seeing the rare roll on items I would like to go rare only to successfully improve them and not become rare is even more frustrating though.

Edited by Kswords
  • Like 1

This wont really change anything, there's better things to work on. 
You can't even really call this a quality of life change.
It's a "grr I didn't get a rare I am mad now" change.

Just now, Kswords said:

Do you understand what I'm saying?

It's not a huge change. It's just getting rid of the visual/messages upon a roll that isn't going to succeed. A "troll roll" if you will.

i.e.

There was no rare upon a successful improvement of this item so there shouldn't have been a "Moment of inspiration".

Btw yeah it doesn't get rid of my bigger frustration, but it does help eleviate it.

Seeing the rare roll on items I would like to go rare only to successfully improve them and not become rare is even more frustrating though.

I understand what you said, but you don't seem to realize that the message, drumroll, and swirl come BEFORE the item changes to rare.  And as I said, that is done for a reason, to help prevent spamming for rares.  It would be some significant recoding to give the drumroll etc. only when successful.  And since it is working (even if frustrating), I'd rather they leave it alone.  Too often there are problems when trying to fix things and I don't want to see those problems come up.  It may be easier to give players the option to remove the rarity signals completely and you just find it has become rare, rather than have it only happen on success.

-1 from me.. if it ain't broken.. don't fix it

I really like seeing the drumroll on imp actions even if it's a fail.. it keeps the blood rushing while you imp stuff for hours.. and it's that more better when you actually get a rare..

-1 even when i dont get something, i like knowing when they occur.

57 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

I understand what you said, but you don't seem to realize that the message, drumroll, and swirl come BEFORE the item changes to rare.  And as I said, that is done for a reason, to help prevent spamming for rares.  It would be some significant recoding to give the drumroll etc. only when successful.  And since it is working (even if frustrating), I'd rather they leave it alone.  Too often there are problems when trying to fix things and I don't want to see those problems come up.  It may be easier to give players the option to remove the rarity signals completely and you just find it has become rare, rather than have it only happen on success.

That was only for spamming of creating items. I'm talking about improving items.

-1this code part is at least working plus I like the excitement .. quite like gambling but without the factor of losing

-1 I want to know I missed the window. Might encourage me to go do something else.

they should just make the imp rare chance just as high as new item spam rare chance...

I do like knowing when a fail occurs.

Now personally I don't like rare triggers on farming and prayers... THEY DONT DO ANYTHING!!! afaik.

• Like 1

The argument that you can know when to go do something else isn't really valid when you can have two within a minute and I've even had 3 in the space of 15

+1 to remove the troll rolls, I can understand if you fail the imp but when the imp is successful and the rare isn't its just rude

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SmeJack said:

+1 to remove the troll rolls, I can understand if you fail the imp but when the imp is successful and the rare isn't its just rude

This .

More clarity in the message would be nice, but I still want to know if I hit the rare window.

2 hours ago, SmeJack said:

The argument that you can know when to go do something else isn't really valid when you can have two within a minute and I've even had 3 in the space of 15

Exactly what I said. lol

11 hours ago, Vroomfondel said:

the message, drumroll, and swirl come BEFORE the item changes to rare

Wasn't this changed long ago for that exact reason you mentioned?

Edited by zigozag

+1

People acting like rarity is predictable are kidding themselves. I did a grind 1-90 of weaponsmithing and had a grand total of 2 rares. A day later I made a supreme and rare cloth square within minutes of each other. 

The troll rolls aren't really rare rolls when imping and are useless information since there's no reliable way to predict rolls. It's not "Well, I used up my rare roll this hour, time to do something else".

Edited by Aflacduck
  • Like 1

+1/-1, don't really care, it's nice to see them but it's also frustrating to miss it.  However, something to note is removing the rolls will probably get more of "rare rolls are bugged and dont happen fix this" complaints.  If any is removed, I'd at minimum keep the roll messages for adding rare parts, so we at least know the attempt worked

In my opinion, the ideal solution is: Keep the current messages, but also add a message for actually turning something rare. If I rare something on creation, improvement, whatever, it would be nice to get a "You have created a supreme cloth glove!" type item in the event log. It would keep the current information we receive from the messages but also add some (in a way that is searchable in your logs later!) and eliminate ambiguity and wondering if you can trust the item name or examine text to show rarity immediately.

Instead of removing the notifications for failed rolls, how about a consolation prize for hitting the window but not getting the rare?