Sign in to follow this  
Yumad

How grindy is Wurm Online really?

I may be interested in playing. I've been playing on the Mythmoor WU server (I know) and the game does seem fun but I don't really want to invest my time into a private server run by one guy. I noticed that skill gains are 7.5x faster and actions are 3x faster on Mythmoor than base WO. Is WO really that much slower?

there are times that get grindy, but usually at high skill levels(over 70). Most of my skills below  70 are just from normal use with out even trying to get them higher. I have Carpentry and masonry above 80, and I never once didnt any grinding with those.

It can be grindy if you want to play that way, but you don't have to grind at all if you don't enjoy it.

• Like 3

Buy an account and you dont have to worry about grinding :>

But yeah its pretty grindy, the game is all about how much time you put into it. 

Veteran Korean MMO players take one look and go...

577.gif

• Like 11

The game is grindy if you feel the necessity to have very high skills.  I've barely grinded any skills on purpose, and I'm pretty self-sufficient with the things I need in the game to enjoy my experience.  All depends on what you want to do in the game, and how you choose to accomplish those goals.  Have fun mate, it's a great time for sure! :)

1 hour ago, ownerpure5 said:

its extremely grindy. You will lose your life.

Can confirm, I die often.

To add to meaningful discussion, as long as you have a deed on PvE, I would say not too grindy at all depending on the level of difficulty you decide to put yourself through. 

Once you get your deed built, you can casually skill away to your hearts content. You can focus as little or as much as you want on any of your skills. 

At the point where you're not really pressured to better yourself, it's all really just quality of life at that point. 

Your deed won't need maintenance, your farms don't need more time spent on them than you want to spend, and animals need little upkeep. 

As long as you're not deeding a cliff-face, it shouldn't be too annoying.

Welcome to Wurm.

Tried it, seems ridiculously grindy. Many hours just to be able to build a tiny hut or even a cart to carry some things.

1 hour ago, Yumad said:

Tried it, seems ridiculously grindy. Many hours just to be able to build a tiny hut or even a cart to carry some things.

eh, the building and stuff like that honestly gets a lot easier, but the grind doesn't let up.

If you still have interest, just give it a try every few weeks and it'll likely just "click" for you and you will enjoy the game. Thats how most people ended up playing WO anyway.

1 hour ago, Yumad said:

The initial few days are the worst in my opinion. After you have some basic skills it gets better. But to be honest if you are the

type of person that wants to gave "end game" skills in a few days/weeks WO is not for you.

For me personally the achievement of yet another self imposed milestone makes Wurm the game I enjoy to play.

If you would max out all the skills in a couple of weeks you will get bored of the game and move on to something else.

I say this from a pure PvE perspective. I have never played Wurm on a PvP server but from other games I have played this 

brings a totally different perspective to the game and you would want to be "PvP viable" as quick as possible. I have no idea

what is considered "PvP viable" so I can't comment on the grind to get to that point.

Regardless of what anyone one say 2 - 3 days is not enough to get the real feel of Wurm. You need to give it a few weeks.

2 hours ago, Yumad said:

The free player skills cap at 20.  I recommend getting some of those skills, such as carpentry and blacksmithing, up to 20 before choosing to stick with it or abandon the game.  That level of skill is fairly easy to obtain, and helps you quite a bit in completing your goals.

• Like 1

There is things you cannot realistically level just by playing. I have been farming a small plot and cooking my own meals since november now and my farming skill is at 16 and cooking is at 10.2. So if you decide to be a pro-cook, yup, grindy. Very.

On the other hand my carpentry skill is now at 57 just from building houses. My mining skill has reached 40 just from digging tunnles searching for ore. Masonry is at about 40, too. I did grind for two things only: masonry 30 to be able to build stone walls (imping grindstones) and prospecting 35 to be able to find ore veins (prospecting along a rockwall for some hours back and forth).

Do what you enjoy to do and skills will build up slowly.

As mentioned the game is a time sink, the more you put in, the more you get out of it.

The best way to play is to just well.... play, set yourself targets and things you want to achieve and go after them. Focus on attaining those achievements and the skills will come automatically.

Having said that there are efficiencies you can use to your advantage. Skill gain on creation and continuing is generally poor compared to the gains while improving items. Making a bed and logging off through it to gain some sleep bonus every day. Learning to balance your skill level vs difficulty level to optimise skill gain, farming is a good example, at different skill levels the various crops will give either good or poor skill returns. Getting CoC on tools.

At first just play, make your mark on the game world and then once you've mastered the basics, if its what you want, look at ways to improve your skill gains while playing.

12 hours ago, Yumad said:

The timers to accomplish anything on WO are dramatically increased in comparison to WU. With about a month old character on Myth I can do most actions way faster than I can a 90+ skilled character on WO. It gets even worse when actions are queued up. Also the skill gains are much faster on Myth but they don't really impact the action timers that much as they do within WO where the higher skill levels are what increases your timers.

Then on Myth you don't even really need any coc or woa tools to speed up actions or gains either, but in WO these enchants are almost always used by the higher skilled players for maximum effects and to make the game less tedious to play. Now not all WU servers action timers and skill gains are set at Myth's increased effect, some are lower and some are higher, so you just have to try a few out to find what suits you best.

I think you already got a basic idea of how slow everything is in WO in comparison and really it will never compare with WU in those terms, regardless of the skill level, tool enchants or the years that you have been playing the game.

=Ayes=

Is WO grindy?  In my opinion, it all depends on what you want out of a game.  It's all a matter of personal tastes and perspective.  Personally I have no interest in WU.

If you play games to watch skills advancing, or to reach high levels quickly and/or max out a character quickly, or if your enjoyment is in the destination rather than the road to it, then yes I'd say it would probably be grindy for you.  Some people enjoy grinding to get where they want to get.  Others don't.  Now we have WU for those who don't.

If you play games for the enjoyment of just doing the things available to do in a game, aren't in a hurry, and if you enjoy the things Wurm has to offer, then I'd say not grindy.  The skills rise as you play and eventually you can do more and faster.  For myself, that was actually one of the main appeals that got me hooked on Wurm in the first place.  I'm one who enjoys the doing rather than the reaching-the-end-as-fast-as-I-can.  :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cecci said:

WO is normal mode and WU is easy mode.

Bingo.  It really depends on what you want out of the game.  If you want a fast-paced game you can pick up and put down without any real commitment, then Wu is for you.  If you like building a community and enjoy the challenge of surviving in a game on the merit of your own true grit, then WO is much better.

• Like 1

Note that "doing" in WO is synonymous to watching action timers pass

If spending your first two days building a one by one shack is your thing, play WO. If actually working on a settlement your first two days sounds better, play WU.

I've been "grinding" farming for about 3 months and have it at 80. I spend 1 - 1.5 hours most days on my farm as soon as I login.  After that, I go off to whatever else. Was this necessary? No. Is it advised? No, probably not.

I have not gone on a "grind" in Carpentry and am at just over 50 in the same amount of time. This came from making planks for my house, carts, crates & other "stuff".

The big thing with "starting out" and "grinding" is how you look at it. You can't say "I need to grind to X to build my house". Chances are, unless you're looking at a mansion, you can get to the skill level you need just by making a bsb for your parts & making them all ahead of time. Just by chopping up planks for my house and building a bsb to store the planks, I was able to get enough skill to make a 2x3 wood house.

Unless you have a very specific large-scale task planned or want to make end-game "stuff", you can usually get the skill you need by planning ahead. Want to build a boat so you can go places faster? Make all the parts you can improve on once made, improve them as much as your skill allows, make all the rest of the parts you need, go back & re-improve the parts you can, build your first boat ( a rowing boat ).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elktazahjr said:

Note that "doing" in WO is synonymous to watching action timers pass

If spending your first two days building a one by one shack is your thing, play WO. If actually working on a settlement your first two days sounds better, play WU.

lol. True, for some things the "doing" can be very tedious if you don't like doing it.  It all depends on if you enjoy the doing.  Like for me, I love building but I hate making bricks and mortar.  Not because of the actions timers per se, but because I hate standing in one place for hours making bricks & mortar.  But I've met players who really don't mind making bricks and mortar and find it relaxing.  So what I do is make a crate full of each, then go build with them, then rinse and repeat. That way I don't get burned out on it and my masonry has gotten very high on it's own in the process.  Or if I'm in a hurry I participate in the economy and buy some from another player. 

On the other hand, I've seen people talk about how much they hate mining.  I personally love mining and the action timers don't bother me a bit.  I enjoy the doing so it's not tedious at all for me.  Consequently, my mining is very high.  Likewise with farming & ah. SkilI rises in those because I enjoy logging in and taking care of my farm and grooming my animals.  I never grind anything.  The things I like doing raise as I play and I really have no need for high skills in the things I don't like to do anyway.  :)

Definitely a matter of tastes and since one person's fun is another person's tedious grind and vice versa, it really is hard to say to someone that WO is or isn't grindy.  We can only say *for me* WO is or isn't and folks need to decide for themselves what they like.

1 hour ago, Amadee said:

lol. True, for some things the "doing" can be very tedious if you don't like doing it.  It all depends on if you enjoy the doing.  Like for me, I love building but I hate making bricks and mortar.  Not because of the actions timers per se, but because I hate standing in one place for hours making bricks & mortar.  But I've met players who really don't mind making bricks and mortar and find it relaxing.  So what I do is make a crate full of each, then go build with them, then rinse and repeat. That way I don't get burned out on it and my masonry has gotten very high on it's own in the process.  Or if I'm in a hurry I participate in the economy and buy some from another player. 

On the other hand, I've seen people talk about how much they hate mining.  I personally love mining and the action timers don't bother me a bit.  I enjoy the doing so it's not tedious at all for me.  Consequently, my mining is very high.  Likewise with farming & ah. SkilI rises in those because I enjoy logging in and taking care of my farm and grooming my animals.  I never grind anything.  The things I like doing raise as I play and I really have no need for high skills in the things I don't like to do anyway.  :)

Definitely a matter of tastes and since one person's fun is another person's tedious grind and vice versa, it really is hard to say to someone that WO is or isn't grindy.  We can only say *for me* WO is or isn't and folks need to decide for themselves what they like.

I'm going to commit a cardinal sin here in Wurm, and say that I actually enjoy sailing.  Sailing is fantastic.  Sure you aren't really accomplishing much by way of skills, but it definitely helps with your navigation and exploration abilities.  Sailing against the wind is a nightmare, of course, but if you have proper wind speeds --or choose which days to sail based on wind speed/direction--then sailing is a lot of fun.  It's the reason why I run a delivery contract business in the game.  Sailing is just another example of one of those mechanics in the game that is very frustrating or dull to some, but fulfilling and exciting to others.  :)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Slickshot said:

I'm going to commit a cardinal sin here in Wurm, and say that I actually enjoy sailing.  Sailing is fantastic.  Sure you aren't really accomplishing much by way of skills, but it definitely helps with your navigation and exploration abilities.  Sailing against the wind is a nightmare, of course, but if you have proper wind speeds --or choose which days to sail based on wind speed/direction--then sailing is a lot of fun.  It's the reason why I run a delivery contract business in the game.  Sailing is just another example of one of those mechanics in the game that is very frustrating or dull to some, but fulfilling and exciting to others.  :)

pcvss.jpg

While I think it is true that one can not state that Wurm Online is that better game to play in comparison to Wurm Unlimited, or vice-versa, that facts can be given in comparing the 2 game versions, which is what I attempted to do. Label the action timers and skill gains in whatever terms you wish (grindy?) but the differences between the 2 game versions in these terms is dramatic. So best to just give the facts and let others decide their preferences. They will find out soon enough on their own anyway, just as the OP seems to have done.

=Ayes=