Sign in to follow this  
asdf

Be advised: source changes

From yesterday's update in WU: (beta branch)

Source fountains used to receive 0.03-0.13kg source each refill tick, now they receive a constant 0.01kg.

Source crystals used to drop from any rock tile with a 1/1000 chance, now they can only drop from tiles that have salt (with the same chance).

No idea if these changes are intended, or a bug, and no idea if they are in WO as well. Keep an eye out.

• Like 5

the source crystal only come from salt tiles seems like a reasonable change in my opinion. Tho i personally would still enjoy the random off chance to acquire a crystal randomly still but oh well. 

Thanks for keeping us posted on these changes. It'd be nice if they were actually fully listed in patch notes like you'd expect (and some clarity as to what code goes to WU and WO).

• Like 2

Just a note here:

Since Wurm Unlimited has updates we make to Wurm Online pulled in before an update, there are times when changes that are awaiting a server restart for Wurm Online may make their way to Wurm Unlimited first. Just because it appears in a Wurm Unlimited update does not mean it has arrived in Wurm Online without proper patch notes.

Thank you for bringing this up though, and I will share this post with the team.

On 2/13/2016 at 6:51 AM, asdf said:

From yesterday's update in WU: (beta branch)

Source fountains used to receive 0.03-0.13kg source each refill tick, now they receive a constant 0.01kg.

Source crystals used to drop from any rock tile with a 1/1000 chance, now they can only drop from tiles that have salt (with the same chance).

Can I ask of the person who changed this - Why? Are you the person who tries to instill as much tedium as possible, and suck away as much pleasure as possible? With all the things that are broken, this is one of the things I have to wonder about, the same as how I am wondering why the method we used to invite people to join settlements got changed to this new convoluted thing. Someone please clear up why these things got touched.

• Like 4

I ahve to admit I dont like this change at all, half the fun of finding a fountain in the wild was seeing how much source was left . This adds to tedium and makes Wurm even more boring than it already is. I also avoid salt tiles and unless it s in line with where my mine is going I dont bother, adds more tedium, and takes away fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

Can I ask of the person who changed this - Why? Are you the person who tries to instill as much tedium as possible, and suck away as much pleasure as possible? With all the things that are broken, this is one of the things I have to wonder about, the same as how I am wondering why the method we used to invite people to join settlements got changed to this new convoluted thing. Someone please clear up why these things got touched.

The /vinvite and village join is not being changed to a new convoluted thing, simply a bug due to working on that mechanic, players will be able to recruit offline players and players will be able to accept those invites at any point in time, but those invite mechanics will return.

As for the source thing, finding random untouched fountains will still have source, it just wont be refilling as fast

Why change the amount of source a fountain or the chance of finding a crystal at all?

Was this done to drive the price of source up even higher than it has been?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Why change the amount of source a fountain or the chance of finding a crystal at all?

Source crystal is now easier to find then ever before. I dont think anyone in this thread realizes just how big information such as "So n so can be found at X". Also since salt is a common tile, you will find plenty of crystal rather then useless gem's

the nerfs on source fountain was reported in game already, so that one made it to WO. Seeing those are limited by designs and most are penned, the working as intended mechanism is once again... broken if not weird.

Why not have source fountains respawn at different spots with some source in it if you want randomness and the luck to find some source in the wilderness.

• Like 4

spawning and despawning source fountains would have been the better way in the first place, being able to pen one is really boring - i would love if they despawned once you took the source

• Like 10

13 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

I have a deed that I pay for only because it has a source fountain on it. Here is yet another thing I've spent money on, such as my trader, that has been lessened in worth after I invested.

• Like 3

I'd be fine with respawning springs but they should be truly random when respawning, not the weird drift the spawners have. On the same note, probably good to pop them and delete the liquid inside after sitting without being found for long enough. That way they don't end up stuck in impossible to reach places forever or force people to deform the land to get to them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

I have a deed that I pay for only because it has a source fountain on it. Here is yet another thing I've spent money on, such as my trader, that has been lessened in worth after I invested.

Nice, a couple more posts like these that help Rolf realize he's losing money and I'm sure we'll see it changed back. ( also lol if your complaining about your trader, they're awesome once you realized that they were apparently changed a couple of years ago, and what the change did )

Edit: to expand further, I've pulled at least 5s off a couple traders in a week or so, and I know I wasn't the only one draining.

Edited by Stik

traders nerf was bad, not as bad as the source spring... or the old limited unique that were penned and bred. We have limited ressources being penned by a few and even more limited by some random changes.

A while ago, source amount was increased due to the addition of sorcery powers on freedom by Rolf. Now it's nerfed down, what is the reason behind it ? Economical tweaks, limiting our abilities to play, reinforcing the monopoly of a few ?

Some of those changes as well as making no sense hurt the game even more when players find them out through the code, instead of being properly announced in devs notes. Us, players and paying customers are what drive the game forward and fund it. Some transparency would be the least we could expect.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Odynn said:

traders nerf was bad, not as bad as the source spring... or the old limited unique that were penned and bred. We have limited ressources being penned by a few and even more limited by some random changes.

A while ago, source amount was increased due to the addition of sorcery powers on freedom by Rolf. Now it's nerfed down, what is the reason behind it ? Economical tweaks, limiting our abilities to play, reinforcing the monopoly of a few ?

Some of those changes as well as making no sense hurt the game even more when players find them out through the code, instead of being properly announced in devs notes. Us, players and paying customers are what drive the game forward and fund it. Some transparency would be the least we could expect.

Play WU where wurm truly is at its best, Then you wont have to worry about those 50~ some players who hoard all the springs, plant 20 trader deeds etc. 

To be honest, most of the source springs it seems these days have 1x1 shacks around them from people wanting to make a quick buck. I wouldn't be surprised if this change is implemented on WO partially because of them. To me, it seems like something that should be more public anyway.

Edited by Lotus1

Source isn't selling like it used to, so the nerf doesn't really hurt too much. I see it becoming more personal stock type of thing instead of the kind of source-supplier business that i used to run for a long time.

One of the major attractions of moving to xanadu for me was the excitement on exploring the undeveloped wilderness on Xanadu, and once i started spotting source, i started making tons of shacks to pen them. It was pretty much the only reason for me to go outside of the deed to the wilderness (aside from finding champion animals and penning them with the Fo priest).

I loved the gameplay of spending x amount of hours (150-200ish on xan) just climbing those hard to reach terrains and finding a untouched fountain / spring. It made pretty good silver too delivering to chaos players, and it was a nice "passive income" infrastructure, cause i chose to play the way of just fighting and finding source.

At grandest i think i had about 35 penned source fountains (off deed everything, so it does take some work to maintenance them and drain them). Penned source fountains allowed me to keep myself, my fo priest,my friend and the deed premiumed so it was pretty nice.

I might let alot of them fall now and just keep the closest ones for personal teleporting reserve or something like that. B)

On 2/15/2016 at 1:02 PM, LorraineJ said:

yep, I deeded for fountains, but now it is worthless.  Will there be a deed refund for this?  It is very much like ending traders.  Rolf won't kill trader payouts, because people spend money on them and their deeds.  This is not making me happy at all.

I've just disbanded a deed over this, now that it's been confirmed as a nerf, not a bug.

nerf all the things, that will bring people back!

• Like 2

On 24.02.2016 at 2:53 PM, kaizoo said:

Source isn't selling like it used to, so the nerf doesn't really hurt too much. I see it becoming more personal stock type of thing instead of the kind of source-supplier business that i used to run for a long time.

One of the major attractions of moving to xanadu for me was the excitement on exploring the undeveloped wilderness on Xanadu, and once i started spotting source, i started making tons of shacks to pen them. It was pretty much the only reason for me to go outside of the deed to the wilderness (aside from finding champion animals and penning them with the Fo priest).

I loved the gameplay of spending x amount of hours (150-200ish on xan) just climbing those hard to reach terrains and finding a untouched fountain / spring. It made pretty good silver too delivering to chaos players, and it was a nice "passive income" infrastructure, cause i chose to play the way of just fighting and finding source.

At grandest i think i had about 35 penned source fountains (off deed everything, so it does take some work to maintenance them and drain them). Penned source fountains allowed me to keep myself, my fo priest,my friend and the deed premiumed so it was pretty nice.

I might let alot of them fall now and just keep the closest ones for personal teleporting reserve or something like that. B)

ur main explored or ur f.g alt with tent? If ur main acc all is good, if not main acc i will find and bash.

Edited by Ibexx

On 2/18/2016 at 4:26 PM, Lotus1 said:

To be honest, most of the source springs it seems these days have 1x1 shacks around them from people wanting to make a quick buck. I wouldn't be surprised if this change is implemented on WO partially because of them. To me, it seems like something that should be more public anyway.

Some pen them cause they use the stuff all the time.