Sign in to follow this  
Malinson

Exposed Ore Veins

When an ore vein is exposed is there some kind of time you have to get that mined out? I was under the impression that an exposed vein will last indefinitely in so long as it's never tapped. In my world, I have a very large and extensive mine with details on every ore vein discovered. Yet, as time has passed, Veins I rarely if ever never actually tapped have now turned to near depletion. After a brief test mining of those 'exhausted' veins, I have now lost three gold veins, 1 silver, 1 copper, 4 lead and 2 iron veins, with nearly 50% of my entire 'special reserve' mine wiped out.

Veins have an amount of ore that can be mined from them but this shouldn't reduce if it's not mined. You said it's in your world so you may be talking about Wurm Unlimited which should be the same as Wurm Online afaik.

Apparently there is a volume limit but I seemed to have hit a time limit as well.

There is no time limit. It's possible that an open tile in that cave collapsed back into rock, and you're looking at that rock tile instead of the ore vein.

In WO, I map every vein in my mines.  Years after, the veins mapped remain as full as when I first found them, unless I have given mining permissions to others.  You have 60 prospecting skill to read the potential quantity of each vein?

I guess Wurm Online is different from the Unlimited version. I'm out over a half a dozen veins and I never really pulled much of anything out of that mine. 

prospecting the amount is not exact. You will see deviation from it - even by a thousand mineable ore sometimes, happens with freshly discovered and mined away veins too. So I suppose it is not getting exhausted it is the error rate in our prospecting. I happened to have only 60-70 hits on a 100+ vein more than one time.