Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #6 Alche-Madness

header.png

Hi Everyone,

It's been a huge week for me, and for Wurm. I'd like to thank you all for your warm welcomes and congratulations, I know there's a lot to do but I look forward to accomplishing lots! But for now, on with the news:

Patch notes:

Wurm Online

Spoiler
February 11, 2016
  • Lowered volume of wooden beam to better match volume of log it is made from.
  • Removed Magic Wall creation from source salt due to balancing issues and redundancy.
  • Fix for snuffing fireplaces not removing the fire effect.
  • Fix so cannot surface mine next to a fence.
  • Fix for archery killing any animal regardless of deed permissions.
  • Trellis Size changes to be more realistic (was same as collossus) – only affects new trellis.
  • Limited take broadcast spam to 10 tiles. Only really affects very large items (e.g. old trellis).
  • Added changing settlement name to the settlement settings screen, still requires the resize permission.
  • Fix so cannot create a campfire if there is already a lit one on same tile.
  • Corrected the sounds played when you start making a wood mine door and floor boards.
  • Changed it so cant do a confession on an invulnerable player, e.g. they must have moved.
  • Added rarity description to examine of unfinished items.
  • Removed smithing sounds when making wool hats.
  • Fog spiders should now show up properly.
  • Rummaged rock iron now smelts to a 0.8kg lump instead of a 0.2kg lump.

Wurm Unlimited

Spoiler

Live

• Several broken models was fixed.

Beta

• Several broken models was fixed.
  • Most creature textures have been converted to dds.
  • Fixed an issue with smelting.
  • Updated movement code, trying to make it smoother.
  • The server shutdown message have been split in two parts, time and reason. Only the time part will show as an on screen message.
  • Spell messages can now show as on screen messages.
  • The "You got mail" on screen message is now of the info type and can be disabled.
  • A fix for village destroy permission to work on structures.
  • Fixed an issue where deeds could get disbanded due to upkeep when the upkeep was disabled.
  • Finding bones should now be more likely when digging.
  • Increased the amount of iron you get from smelting rock iron, that you rummage from the ground.
  • Added new rare colors for horses.
  • Creatures should now unhitch from a tent when the tent is destroyed.
  • Commanders of vehicles should now continue to lead any animals when they embark.
  • Lowered the volume of wooden beams to better match the volume of a log.
  • Fix so that you cannot surface mine next to a fence.
  • Fix for archery killing animals regardless of deed permissions.
  • Fixed the message for when you dig up a bone.
  • Changed the size of trellises, will only affect new ones. (code size, not visual)
  • Limited take event broadcast to 10 tiles.
  • Added a check ensuring that you are on the surface when conquering towers.
  • Added a check when trying to change alliance capital to make sure they are still in the alliance.
  • Made unstringing bows part of the 'take' family for deed permissions.
  • Fix so that you cannot create a campfire if there is already a lit one on the same tile.
  • Fixed an issue that cause newly made lanterns never cool down unless you put fuel in them first.
  • Changed it so that you can't to a confession on an invulnerable player.
  • Changed it so that players can only have their religion changed if they are not invulnerable.
  • Fix so that examining unfinished items now include the rarity description.
  • Fixed an issue where skill gained was not displayed properly when the 'always' option was on.
  • Fixed is so that the contribution culling will remove the torch flame effects when the item is culled.
  • Removed the xsi model loading thread, all old xsi models should now be converted.
  • Limited the number of collada model loading threads that the game can start to 1, most models should have been converted now.
  • Proper checks were added to make sure altars can only be used on ground.
  • Reduced the internal size of markers (deed, perimeter, construction).
  • Changed it so destroy floors act as walls for Vynora.
  • The take option should no longer be visible on items in the bank.
  • You should no longer get smithing sounds when making common hats.

So I threw it on the ground!

Have a blood feud with that patch of clay? Secretly wish your deed was covered in peat? Wait no more! With the new transformation liquids, you'll be able to turn bare dirt (okay, sand, grass/mycelium and steppe) into resource tiles! The reverse is also possible, using these liquids to turn resource tiles into dirt.

It's not all that easy though! Each liquid requires blessing, and is also required in vast amounts, so don't expect this to be an easy fix, a lot of work (and juice) will be necessary.

These liquids are on test now, the recipies are as follows:

Juice Solid Used on Makes
0.5 kg Apple 5kg Tin Sand Clay
0.5 kg  Lemon 5kg Charcoal Grass/Mycelium Peat
0.5 kg  Cherry 10kg Iron Steppe Tar
0.5 kg  Lemon 10kg Zinc Clay Dirt
0.5 kg  Cherry 3kg Moss Peat Dirt
0.5 kg  Apple 10kg Lead Tar Dirt

To make the potion follow these easy steps

1. Activate Juice
  2. Right click small amphora filled with solid
  3. Mix to create the transformation liquid
  4. bless the liquid to make active

Then simply pour activate the blessed liquid and right click the corresponding tile and select 'use'!

(don't just pour it, you'll all hate me if that happens!)

This does take A LOT of liquid (the amount is also dependant on quality), so expect to be at it for a bit, you can examine the tile for a rough idea (quarter of the way, halfway, almost there)

As stated before, this is currently live on the test server with the intention of coming out next week, if you need any help, jump in IRC and ask for a GM!

Hunting season

From the field I must feed if you hunt by horse and bow.  What am I?

If you correctly guessed that (not giving the answer!) There's some good news, for the rest of you, there may be some... difficulies ahead.

As you know, the Xanadu Labyrinth marked one year of hunts, players got lost, minds got lost, and we're told that some are still in there. After having completed this monumentous task, Vali dusted his hands and took a well earned break, but not all was quiet....

Enki has picked up the task, and has decided to put his own twist on things. He's been tinkering away in his laboratory, muttering about pirates, keyboards and various other things (to be fair, this is usual behaviour, we're completely sure that it's unrelated) and has confirmed with me that there will be a February treasure hunt! The full details will come in next weeks news, but until then, time to brush off your riddle solving hats and get that spyglass all polished up.

We've got spirit, yes we do!

There's been a few threads lately about the state of some starter deeds, so we've decided to give you all the opportunity to show off your server!

We'll be opening a competition some time this week aimed at adoption of a starter deed for your server/area. Players will be able to form groups to tender their ideas via deedplanner. Ideas that pass our requirements (to be provided with the competition announcement) will go up for players to vote for their favourite. The existing starter deeds will also be able to be voted for, so if you like it as it is, you have the opportunity to say so too.

Weekly question

Spoiler

What if fog spiders are people transformed by the fog?

Weekly Artwork

This weeks screenshot is grabbed from Wurm Unlimited, showing some amazing designs by Athrygg on the steam boards.

screenshot.jpg

That's it for this week! I hope you all have an awesome weekend, and don't let Valentines steal you from Wurm for too long!

-Retrograde

Its a rope tool

• Like 18

From a PvP aspect I can see a plethora of issues with the transformation of resource tiles.

What happens if we clay/peat our dirtwalls and therefore make them impossible to dig down, making raiding near impossible?

What about griefing on PvP servers where the objective is to just remove the enemies resource tiles?

Resources on PvP servers are fought over and create PvP. I feel this should be a PvE feature only.

Edited by Redd
  • Like 21

Will transformation work on 1 tile at a time, or 1 corner at a time?

8 minutes ago, Redd said:

From a PvP aspect I can see a plethora of issues with the transformation of resource tiles.

What happens if we clay/peat our dirtwalls and therefore make them impossible to dig down, making raiding near impossible?

What about griefing on PvP servers where the objective is to just remove the enemies resource tiles?

Resources on PvP servers are fought over and create PvP. I feel this should be a PvE feature only.

You can reverse it all from what I can see in that table above. Not sure where you see an issue with dirtwalls here. :)

• Like 4

Don't get me wrong, I love improvements and new features, but these things need to work before being implemented.

I just spent the last minute unable to turn my horse or drive it in a straight direction, now I am watching it do 360s on the spot. The last few changes/updates/features need fix's before possibly more bugged features are added. The game is pretty much unplayable right now as the movement bugs are unpredictable when they occur.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Balmore said:

You can reverse it all from what I can see in that table above. Not sure where you see an issue with dirtwalls here. :)

its because he doesn't want to play the game of who has the most lemon/apple juice when standing at a dirtwall with no longhouse on it. 

which is quite understandable

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Balmore said:

I agree, but I feel as if this will be yet another PvP requirement for raiding (which Rolf has tried many times to reduce the "requirements" to PvP). Its just unnecessary on the PvP servers and will be yet another tool for trolling and griefing.

• Like 1

funny I was just adding a pier to my coastal deed and found clay in unwanted areas..and was daydreaming the day we could change resource tiles....I knocked the dog off my lap in giddy glee...i'm stoked that it is possible to change the tiles.  The difficulty to make large qty of liquids is a mere flesh wound compared to the notion it' s possible!!!!

My next thoughts went to MrGary and Sme's peat patch..no one is happier than they i'm sure with this news.

Basically I just went cuckoo for cocoa puffs!!!

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 5

i thought you only needed 70 skill to level tar or clay whatever the slope was.

8 minutes ago, cromill said:

i thought you only needed 70 skill to level tar or clay whatever the slope was.

that's just to adjust the height/level of it.  These new liquids will allow you to create or remove clay resourse tiles  along with others like peat and tar

• Like 2

Excellent news...  i look forward to 'addressing' some peat and clay issues on my deed in the very near future    :)

keep up the great work folks!

No more 20-30 tile long land bridges out in the water to clay i am all for the new liquids. 

• Like 5

Suggestion: all player created tiles should be able to be Cultivated. Atleast on PvP servers to avoid abuse. 

Excited to get rid of some extra clay and peat that I've dreamed would just *poof* one day while I slept! I am sure many are very excited about this! Now, to get someone to add things being able to be put on tables & add in a potions rack and all my alchemy dreams would be coming true! ;)

And starter deed reno projects - WOOT! Since my first day on Wurm I have wished to get my hands on one, let the design ideas begin - or in my case come to life since every one Ive been to has created an idea in my mind! :P

And again, congrats to Retrograde!

Edited by Aniceset
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kegan said:

No more 20-30 tile long land bridges out in the water to clay i am all for the new liquids. 

Thank goodness! Those things are my nemesis :(

• Like 1

I can understand implementing this on pve servers, but no matter what volume of juice is required it will still mean that certain deeds will have full tar walls on pvp servers. Heck might aswell bring back the enchanted tree meta amongst other methods used to create ridiculously strong walls. Or better yet just deactivate pvp as heck, with some of the updates it seems to be the way the game is headed 

I'll be so glad to remove all that clay that's living under my harbor and to have a use for all that tin, zinc and lead that sits around, not being used. *hoards lemons*

• Like 2

What's the big  deal about tar/clay tiles on pvp? the speed difference? can't climb? you can always either revert the tile yourself, or level it off after smashing the wall. If you have enough people to breach a wall atop a 300 dirt slope, I don't see changing tar/peat/clay being that big a deal, unless of course you have something against picking trees. Or maybe you've ignored the beverage skill and cut down all the fruit trees, in which case WTS fruit sprouts :) (jk, I'd never have the quantity desired).

• Like 1

To solve the problems related to pvp, I think it would be fair to make it so that the dirt potions are very easy to make. Like with basic grass (no juice required). That would make people  not want to use these potions to enhance their defences caus enemies will get rid of them in no time.
And if enemies get rid of the stuff in no time, people will all together just stop using them for defences.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

The game is pretty much unplayable right now as the movement bugs are unpredictable when they occur.

That's weird.  I seem to be able to play it just fine.  Must be playable.  Doomsayers, meh.