Sign in to follow this  
Lichbane

Clients not adding to server population figures

I've got a bit of a quandary.  It's not huge, but I think it may be a bug in the way the launcher reports the server population.

Last night I was wandering around my server, floating about as GMs tend to do, sneaking a peek at what players are doing and digging out and populating dungeons.  You know .... usual God stuff. ;)

I thought my server was empty (0/200) and was going to do a backup/restart after I'd put down some server assets.   I happened to notice a player (who I believe was multi-clienting ... I don't have a problem with that) still active on the server.  And another one who appeared to be invisible near the start point.  :wacko:

Has anyone else noticed that kind of thing?  Where the client launcher reports a lower population than there actually is?  Is it possible the method of multi-clienting (by closing down all the steam operations in the background) that the population is not reporting back how many people are on the server?

I have noticed this also at first thought it was just peoples alts and it was only counting unique IPs. This is usually the case most times but either it does not update regularly so the launcher as see the updated population or its broken. I did find a way to trick the launcher into showing whatever number players you want it to but it requires de-compiling and code and altering it.

Counting unique IP's won't do, especially when IP4 space shrinks and CGNAT becomes more commonplace.

Not to mention a single household having a "normal" IP4 connection and NATing would fail this test if multiple members came from the same IP.

Is the info presented perhaps coming from Steam? If so, it should not be trusted for a local server admin. Steam may have lost uncountable packets and know nothing about your local server.

# of logged on users should be in the server UI, and then quite reasonably be sent to the launcher (as trusted information, as it'd be local only).

6 hours ago, tamlin said:

# of logged on users should be in the server UI, and then quite reasonably be sent to the launcher (as trusted information, as it'd be local only).

For those servers on the LAN tab,  definitely!