Sign in to follow this  
Lichbane

Britannia Reborn - PvE, 16k

13 hours ago, Tryst said:

Sadly, the ping rate lets it down, Or I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Sorry Tryst, but it is what it is.  Assuming I could find a service that could support a 26Gb (RAM), it would still cost over US$200/month to run.  Currently my costs are nil, so it's not really a choice.

Lichbane

The skills set of a player have 3 groups; characteristics, religion and skills. The rate of change in the characteristics group is very much lower than that of the skills group; About the religion group I don't know, haven't practiced those acrivities. But this difference in rates of change, is it deliberate, meaning do you wan't it to be so?

9 hours ago, www said:

Lichbane

The skills set of a player have 3 groups; characteristics, religion and skills. The rate of change in the characteristics group is very much lower than that of the skills group; About the religion group I don't know, haven't practiced those acrivities. But this difference in rates of change, is it deliberate, meaning do you wan't it to be so?

Im not entirely sure i follow, but I'll try and answer to the best of my ability. I'm a bit of a Wurm noob, so l do lack some o the detailed understanding of the system.

I'm using a default x3 increase multiplier.  I haven't tweaked anything really beyond that.  So if characteristics seem to be improving slowly, I'm assuming that's default behavior. 

Where I have made a conscious, perhaps naive decision, is the balance between action speed and skill gain rate. I chose a lower skill gain rate to balance the high action speed.  You can get a lot of stuff done quickly but you still need to a lot of stuff to get higher skills.  What I didn't want was a race to the end-game as I know that people get bored when end-game is not available. The campaign is an evolving feast. I've got "the plan" but I'm still learning how to implement it in game (..... because as I said, I'm a Wurm noob).

Does that make sense?

It's a WU thing, the characteristics don't scale with increased skill gain multiplier and will fall behind. It's probably not as bad at x3, but very noticeable at higher rates. You can use this mod to tweak that -

• Like 2

On 3/29/2016 at 10:43 AM, Tryst said:

... reduce the action timer to around 5x which is plenty fast enough, 10x means a lot of insta-actions like cutting down a tree and chopping it all into logs before the trunk has even hit the ground.

Lichbane, this tryst's idea might be good to do as well if you apply the proposed mod and raise the slow characteristics' rates.

On 3/29/2016 at 0:43 AM, Tryst said:

399 ping rate from the UK, I guess I won't be playing here then. Pity I like a fast action speed but I'd suggest the skill rate is reduced to about 2x or so at most, coupled with fast action, 3x is probably a bit too high. Either that, or reduce the action timer to around 5x which is plenty fast enough, 10x means a lot of insta-actions like cutting down a tree and chopping it all into logs before the trunk has even hit the ground.

The mods are a great addition, I'm sick of planting fields of cotton, only to get back online after 4 days of working 12 hour shifts, (don't get any time to play during my 4 days on), to find only weeds, (some of us have to work for a living).

Also bulk storage transfer limits are a PITA, good to see someone else agrees with me.

Sadly, the ping rate lets it down, Or I'd be there in a heartbeat.

well i play with 600-800 ping constantly since im on satelite internets, maybe ive just gotten used to it but for me wurm is one of those games that ping wasnt really an issue, not like its cs-go.. :P

as for the 3x skill gain YAY,  been waiting for him to kick it up one notch as 2x felt a lil slow, the action times are perfect imo 10x is just right for wu and this map. which btw is still the most epic map in wurm currently :)

back to exploring!!

• Like 1

characteristics gains seem fine to me,less actions for skills means less characteristics anyways, so unless ctheyre boosted by a higher number than skillgain itself, theyre always going to be low.

I didnt get to 30 bs on WO in a matter of two or three weeks though

Awesome server imo, having a lot of fun on it

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bdew said:

It's a WU thing, the characteristics don't scale with increased skill gain multiplier and will fall behind. It's probably not as bad at x3, but very noticeable at higher rates. You can use this mod to tweak that -

Good catxh. Thanks bdew.  With some minor tweaking, this mod will help rebalance skill and characteristic gain.

The dry riverbeds in this map would make wonderful roadways to inland if only WU would allow clay tiles to be transformed into dirt.

16 hours ago, www said:

The dry riverbeds in this map would make wonderful roadways to inland if only WU would allow clay tiles to be transformed into dirt.

There are several very large rivers that go deep into the continent that can be used as river hiways. The land east of the mountains is large rolling hills covered with forest and grasslands. Lots of resources of every kind away from the coast. Live Map is a big help on this server.

18 hours ago, www said:

you can do that now :P

9 hours ago, Ahzz said:

Live Map is a big help on this server.

I'm considering implementing Live Map after chapter 1 has been completed.  The idea of chapter 1 is to promote exploration.  After the map has been explored, then Live Map makes a lot more sense.

13 hours ago, Lichbane said:

I'm considering implementing Live Map after chapter 1 has been completed.  The idea of chapter 1 is to promote exploration.  After the map has been explored, then Live Map makes a lot more sense.

No you don't understand. What you are talking about is a map dump. You have already nixed that.

What I am talking about is Live Map, a mod that gives you a small real time map of the area you are in.

17 hours ago, Ahzz said:

No you don't understand. What you are talking about is a map dump. You have already nixed that.

What I am talking about is Live Map, a mod that gives you a small real time map of the area you are in.

Ah.  Gotcha.  I've rethought hte whole map dump thing and that's going to happen after Chapter 1 is done.

Yeah ... Live Map is useful, especially for hte exploration to help in Chapter 1.

Updated to the latest server version.

Issues:

• I've had to disable the Surface Mining mod as the new version of the server breaks it.  Hopefully a solution can be found.
  • Like 1

Commanding a large cart, pulled by couple of bulls in my case, makes client communication with the server extremely slow. I drive the cart even just a little bit then no other command works, no disembarking, no digging, no drinking, no opening the cart, no whatever.  I dunno if this happens on britannia map only or if it's a common WU bug.

43 minutes ago, www said:

Commanding a large cart, pulled by couple of bulls in my case, makes client communication with the server extremely slow. I drive the cart even just a little bit then no other command works, no disembarking, no digging, no drinking, no opening the cart, no whatever.  I dunno if this happens on britannia map only or if it's a common WU bug.

This sounds like a bug that i ran into with hitching animals to ships, though i'm not sure why it would appear on a normal cart.

Can you try de-selecting the cart by clicking something else so that the cart doesn't appear in the selection window - see if that reduces the lag when driving.

Don't seem to have any effect.

More general info: All commands in a command selection window are disactivated (gray) and there is the blinking refreshing text. Sometimes patience of waiting is rewarded and the commands become activated, but mostly it seems to come to a restart initiated by the client.

Sometimes the client kindly informs that I am teleporting, and no actions are possible...

Server is updated to the latest version.

Issues:

• It looks like the Surface Mining Mod is broken again.  It took a little longer to find this error this time so apologies for the delay in starting up.  I'm leaving this offline now until we get clarity as to whether the devs are deliberately breaking this mod for whatever reason.
  • The lag may be caused by the fact that I hadn't rebooted the server in a while.  I lost my own PC through a profile corruption and hence lost the ability to remote into the VMs on my server.  That's the price I pay for running bearbones Hyper-V .... it may be free, but it's a PITA to set up remoting into it.  DOH!
Edited by Lichbane
  • Like 1

The server's been pretty much dead for a while now.

Britannia is shutting down.  Running a 16k server was ambitious and it was fun while it lasted.  

Edited by Lichbane

it was an amazing world good sir, i really loved the time i spent on the server and appreciate all the work you put into it, i learned alot from you aswell, ive been meaning to log back in an continue my journey as i finaly made it up north but alas rl has gotten me to busy for the moment, i hope in the future some sort of coding will allow for such maps to be run with much less requirements, who knows. i hope it may rise again sometime

you have my utmost respect for keeping alive as long as you did, it was truly the most epic of WU servers to be explored!

I miss this map lol was a fun place, made a friend on it.