Sign in to follow this  
Lichbane

Britannia Reborn - PvE, 16k

6 hours ago, AlexanderCrunsch said:

Does that mean planting sprouts wont work? Ive planted over 50 sprouts and about 5 of them remain. Ive not seen that before on other servers.

I'm not sure.  I'll put a question on the Server Issues forum and see if I get an answer.

Also ..... I've updated the map on the first post. 

• Like 1

I thought it would be a "settings issue" causing the sprout problem from "no tree spread". Not so much a server issue?
 Could you set tree spread to 1% ?

Edited by AlexanderCrunsch
Yeah, all my sprouts are now gone. :(

11 hours ago, AlexanderCrunsch said:

I thought it would be a "settings issue" causing the sprout problem from "no tree spread". Not so much a server issue?

The best I can tell is it's on or off.

New Content:

• A trader has set up shop in the ruins of old Skara Brae.  A smithy, leatherworker and shipwright under construction.  Each will sell goods appropriate to their profession. 

EDIT: Although the town is GM run,  players may join.  Send me a message if you want to be a citizen. 

Edited by Lichbane
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2016 at 9:36 AM, AlexanderCrunsch said:

Ive done some further investigation and it does appear to be a percentage.  I'll try setting it to 1,  but this means I'll have to take the server down to change to database value.   I'll do it this, afternoon when I get home. 

EDIT: Ok.  I added a tree percentage spread of one.  Unfortunately it had a side effect I didn't expect; the background calculations for a 16k map with that many trees caused LAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1one!!!!

Edited by Lichbane

Look.  I know it's a big map and there is no upkeep.  But please don't  claim large swathes of the newbie island.  If you want to create larger plots, the mainland awaits.

Edited by Lichbane

15 hours ago, Aum said:

lol is it over yet? :P

Yep.  It only lasted a few hours.  I still haven't figure out why it's laggy after a restart.  I much need to upgrade my drives to SSDs, but that will involve a server rebuild ... and a little more time ... and a budget ... ;)

just turn the tree spread back off, honestly the map should remain in this beautiful state forever!!

Looking at the code, i'm pretty sure setting tree growth to 1 is actually setting the chance to 100% for trees and 0% for shrooms. If you want the chance to be lower you need to set this to a high number.

Basically, for every polled tile with a tree of the right age the server chooses a random number between 0 and (tree growth)-1.

If the chosen number is 0 - it tries to spread to a nearby tile.

If the chosen number is 2 - it creates a shroom.

Setting it to 0 is special - it disables tree spreading entirely and activates a different piece of code that kills already existing sprouts.

Rolfcode \o/

• Like 2

so is there a way to only set it to make shrooms and not kill sprouts but not spread trees?

Not without a mod i'm afraid.

You can set it to something very high (1000000000) to make it (almost) never spread trees but not kill sprouts, but with this you won't get any shrooms either.

Why is there so much fog on this server? It seems there is much more then there should be. It becomes unplayable for me at least. :P

Also would it be possible to make no snow. As in no winter. 

Edited by Alesondra

I like fog and winter and wouldn't mind at all if winter lasted 2..3 times as long than it does in WO.

And crops shouldn't actually crow in winter at all and should die if planted too late in fall.

Edited by www

14 hours ago, bdew said:

Not without a mod i'm afraid.

You can set it to something very high (1000000000) to make it (almost) never spread trees but not kill sprouts, but with this you won't get any shrooms either.

Ah.  The database value is not at all what I thought it was (a percentage value).

I'll try adding a high value so at least people can plant sprouts, but I'm concerned it may cause lag again.  Ideally I'd like to allow sprouts to grow but not have natural tree spread.   I had put in a mod request for having direct control of shrooms growth but it attached no interest. 

6 hours ago, Alesondra said:

Why is there so much fog on this server? It seems there is much more then there should be. It becomes unplayable for me at least. :P

I haven't changed any weather settings so there shouldn't be any more fog than any other server.

Ideally I'd LOVE to be able to do localised snow so there is more in the north and less in the south, but that would probably not be doable even as a mod.  As an Aussie, I'm not used to seeing snow at all; I'll consider a shorter winter, I'm yet to see how long a normal winter lasts, so I'm going to play it by ear right for now. 

Edit: I've just read that Fog Spiders have an effect on global world fog. I have spawned a handful of these.  I wouldn't have thought they had that much effect.  Perhaps they have.   I'll look into it. 

Edited by Lichbane

I've seen a mod that allows mounting boats and carts and mounts without dropping leads to horses. I think this would be a great mod. 

Also, I think the free mail mod would be very useful given the size of this map. As more players join and a server economy begins to form,  delivery times can become prohibitive. 

On 2/24/2016 at 10:50 AM, www said:

I like fog and winter and wouldn't mind at all if winter lasted 2..3 times as long than it does in WO.

Oh yah, dense fog is real nice when sailing in these huge seas and have no idea where you are because you can only see three tiles. And it stays foggy for a considerable time. Sure, real nice if you have a radar.  :P

BTW considering the size of this place a map dump would be a good thing. ;)

Edited by Ahzz

I'll send out an extermination team to flush out those pesky fog spiders.  It's a shame the effect is not localised. 

The map?  There's a reason the only map you have access to is an old thousand year old sea navigation map.  The coastlines are accurate,  but the rest is not really accurate.   The campaign is about exploration and discovery.  I'd encourage sharing as much info as possible among others.  Is it worth setting up a steam group to facilitate sharing screenshots and coordinates among each other? 

It would be interesting for people collaborate on a player made map.  A job for budding cartographers? 

Edited by Lichbane

I think this map is awesome shame the fog spiders do not affect a localized area  - would love to seem them stay in the map - adds to the atmosphere.

Any chance of getting the mod that allows prayer skill gain more than 5 times a day and meditation mod?

Awesome job on this map so far,  loving the exploration.

Sorry for the emergency reboot, but the server seemed to lock up.  It's coming up right now and I'll keep an eye on it to see if it happens again.  I've reverted the tree spread again.  Sorry to those folks who wanted to plant seedlings. :(

1 hour ago, Ahzz said:

What time your local time are you usually on?

Local to who? ;)

I'm in Australia (GMT+11) and am usually on in the afternoons and evenings during hte week.  If you you need to send me an urgent message, use the feedback page at http://britannia-wu.weebly.com and I'll try to attend to any issues when I can.  It is the Saturday morning over here right now, so I am available (if offline).

49 minutes ago, Darkshadow said:

Any chance of getting the mod that allows prayer skill gain more than 5 times a day and meditation mod?

I'm not sure about the first one.  I'll look into the second one.  There has been talk that the mediation mod makes some things more trivial.  I'd be interested to know what other people's thoughts are on this.

I've just added bounty mod (but with reduced bounties for non hostile creatures) and boat mod.

Oh ... I've also been told that the client side Live Map (minimap) mod works just fine.  If people want to collaborate to use it to create a more accurate "player made map", I have no issues at all.

EDIT: And keep an eye on http://britannia-wu.weebly.com/news ;)

Edited by Lichbane

i would +1 both hose mods, as coming from a server with them enable you will be hurting a bit, its pretty standard for WU cause of time factors and so many servers that aren't connected, you always have to start over, these settings are a courtesy to the players saying, im not going to waste your time for no reason, and make you spend years or w/e trying to reach lvl 9 meditation or get a priest going in a decent amount of time with very few players for sermons, especially with the distance, it will make game play on your server just that much more enjoyable for the population, also awesome news for the boat mod ^.^

spellmod settings : you can gain faith every 20 minutes with no limit per day
removePriestRestrictions=true
favorLimit=90
allowAllSpells=false
allowLightSpells=false
unlimitedPrayers=true
noPrayerDelay=false

Meditation mod settings : you can gain med skill every 30 minutes, with no period of waiting to advance levels only skill restriction, timer reduced to 30 seconds
autoPassSkillChecks=true
noMeditateDelay=false
unlimitedMeditations=true
noMeditateDistance=true
pathLevelDelayMultiplier=0.0f
useCustomTime=true
customTime=300

On 2016-02-13 at 4:33 PM, Lichbane said:

World Machine .... and about three months (of playing around in my spare time) trying to get it just the way I wanted it.  Admittedly a lot of that time was spent learning the tool and experimenting with techniques.  It's and awesomely powerful tool once you get the hang of it.  The Wurm map generators are good,  but you can't beat purpose-built terrain modelling tools to build your base heightmaps. :)

The whole thing started as a hobby project using Unreal first and then Unity.  Building the actual game on the base engine is a massive undertaking and I was at the point of giving up.  Then Wurm Unlimited came along and pretty much saved it.  Props to the CodeClub team! :D

Quick question.  How did you convert the World Machine world of yours into Wurm Unlimited?