Sign in to follow this  
Lichbane

Britannia Reborn - PvE, 16k

Britannia Reborn is now ... live

Britannia Reborn is a recreation/reimagining of the world from the Ultima series of games.  It represents a "future" after the events of Ultima IX where the world was cleansed by the fires of the armageddon unleashed by the battle between Avatar and the Guardian.  A future where the a burnt world world was renewed by pagan elemental forces.  A future where the descendants of those evacuated by the Avatar and his companions at Skara Brae find their way back to resettle a world .... reborn.

Server details can be found at http://britannia-wu.weebly.com/

1yoYedO.jpg

Full size verion of the map can be downloaded here https://goo.gl/u6V9Jv

Edited by Lichbane
Updated link to full sized map
  • Like 5

Great concept, wonderful map. High skill gain and action timer will make for a relatively short game. What about deeding and upkeep. Zero is always good imo. 

1 hour ago, Clatius said:

Great concept, wonderful map. High skill gain and action timer will make for a relatively short game. What about deeding and upkeep. Zero is always good imo. 

Hmmm... good point about the combined action timer and skill gain.  I like the idea of people starting with a reasonable skill level but not too high.  The speed of action feels about right.  Also mining is much quicker as well.  But I'll drop the skill gain right down and see how it goes.  I can always run "bonus weekends" for a bit of fun.

I know upkeep is definitely set to zero.  Deeding cost should be the same.  If it's not, let me know.

EDIT: Server rebalanced.  Website reflects the updates and clarifies deeding, upkeep and mining.  Let me know how things go.

Edited by Lichbane

Hi. Am playing a character on this now. Was working ok. Was a restart. After restart much lag now. 

Oh I should say, this is a very very nice place. People should come here.

And something else the lag maybe my end. Ping is very high for me. Sometimes over 300. Still works great most times. Xan had bigger lag.

Edited by Alesondra

Would you divulge start spot on map above or would you keep it for discovery of the players? You have a beutiful place btw :wub:

Edited by Alesondra

8 minutes ago, Alesondra said:

Would you divulge start spot on map above or would you keep it for discovery of the players? You have a beutiful place btw :wub:

The start point is marked as "Landfall".  It's on the island (Skara Brae) to the centre west of the main continent.  Click on the map to get a larger version. 

How is the lag now?   I've found it usually settles down after a restart. 

Edited by Lichbane

Lag is gone. My internet is not so good is why i said could be me. ;)

Yes my mission of discovery is fruitful. I realized my place on your world. Very nicely done. I have been on many servers. This one is at top of my list. This one is the winner by far. As is said, job well done. My hat is off.

• Like 2

I've added a link to the full sized version of the map in the original post.  I'll add it to the website as well when I get home from work this afternoon.

19 minutes ago, Alesondra said:

Lag is gone. My internet is not so good is why i said could be me. ;)

Yes my mission of discovery is fruitful. I realized my place on your world. Very nicely done. I have been on many servers. This one is at top of my list. This one is the winner by far. As is said, job well done. My hat is off.

Thanks.  I just hope my internet is up to the job.  Hosting a 32Gb server would be expensive and I have the hardware already here.

I've added a link to the full sized version of the map in the original post.  I'll add it to the website as well when I get home from work this afternoon.

Apologies for the outage.  I've updated my Sever VM to NOT automatically install updates and reboot now.

Teething issues.  It should all be up and running again soon.

• Like 1

Do you plan to create anything at the spawn point?  I just logged in to check out your server but found myself within range of 3 hardened black bears & a hardened wolf.  Currently just this side of dead so it will take a long time to heal up and actually get started.  

I notice the mention of lag in the earlier posts but I didn't have any issues with it.  Your server ran just fine.

The overhead map isn't working so I am quite lost now as well, lol.

12 hours ago, Maldibren said:

Do you plan to create anything at the spawn point?  I just logged in to check out your server but found myself within range of 3 hardened black bears & a hardened wolf.  Currently just this side of dead so it will take a long time to heal up and actually get started.  

I notice the mention of lag in the earlier posts but I didn't have any issues with it.  Your server ran just fine.

The overhead map isn't working so I am quite lost now as well, lol.

I wasn't planning on building anything at the location as it's pretty much a blank slate, thought I may have to cull some of the wildlife at starting location to make it a little less threatening.  All the wildlife is randomly generated, so I'm glad there is no lava spiders there. ;)

I haven't figure out how to do the overhead map yet, but it is a priority.  Even then, any map displayed by the client will not do the actual map justice.  For that you need to look at the the full sized map is available at the campaign website (in the Geography section) as well as in the original post.  You may find those will help a bit.  Players start at "Landfall".   I plan to do a "live map" on the website but again, this is something I need to learn how to do.

Another thing I plan is to do treasure hunts.  Occasionally you may find loot that has a random 16 character code.  Plug that code into the website and it will give you a treasure map for buried treasure somewhere in the world.  No ETA, but something that's on the way.

EDIT: "And God did smite the bears and the wolves and they did die and go "ergh!" and did not get up again.  And God did chuckle at their corpses.  And did a little dance".

Edited by Lichbane
  • Like 2

Review (kind of)

Okay, on my third day of exploring on horse and foot on the coast. I have not even been 25% of the trip. This land is so big all of WO and all of WU could live on it two or three times over. Rivers go very very far inland and boats can sail the whole way with lots of land to settle on the banks. So, here are my thoughts at this moment pro/con.

Pro:

Big land with lots of places to settle. Big mountains. Big plains. Big forests. Big rivers that go forever in big river valleys. Big marshes. Islands as big as 2048 servers. Not been on the islands but at least one is that big. Everything about this server is epic in proportion. And this is so because this is a awesomely huge server. If you can't find what you want look for it because you will find it. If you are an explorer you can spend your entire real life exploring and maybe not be done. It is a beautiful land with snow capped mountains. Skills start reasonably high.

Free deeds and no upkeep. Yay+++.

Lots of creatures good and bad ones.

Ore is easy to find. On starter island I got a utmost iron vein after surface prospecting for five minutes and mining two tiles in. It is on rock fact by water nearest starter spot. Lead is there someplace too but I didn't mine for it since I did not want a boat but decided to explore on horse and foot. ;) 

Plentiful trees in massive forests. 

Cons:

Sometimes seems to be too many cliffs along the shore. 99% has a sandy beach so you don't have to worry about the cliffs but they are common. There are plenty of areas along these cliffs with breaks or hugs coast for settlers but to get inland you have to scale large cliff. HOWEVER, once you get north of farthest south fjord it changes and cliffs are mostly gone. The east side of the continent is flatter and the west side has more mountains and cliffs. Edit: It looks like once you are on top of the cliffs the land is agreeable. 

Travel distances may be a problem. If people cried about travel on Xan they will have cardiac arrest here. Faster boat movement would be a good thing if possible. Maybe if we had travel portals...

Edit: Fruit trees. There are lots of very open places, grasslands. But these are dotted by fruit trees. After time all of this grassland will be gone and it will be over grown with fruit trees. Why do people use fruit trees, the weeds of WURM.

Pro and Con:

This is good and bad. Starter spawn is on an island. If you travel light you can go to the east side of the island and swim across. You should make it. If you run out of stamina LOG OFF. Come back in six hours and finish the trip. OR you can make a rowboat since you have 15 boat skill. Probably be a good idea to make a boat first thing anyway. But I fear the trees might get all cut down especially along island coast. Edit: Might be better to have noob spawn at a friendly location on east side of continent.

This is good and bad. This place is HUGE. Some people will be put off by this. Me, I love it. No one will be able to complain about no place to deed...ever. 

In conclusion so far I would encourage people to experience this place. Spend a week or two or a two or three weekends real time traveling the shores and up the rivers and fjords. 

Edited by Alesondra
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Lichbane said:

I haven't figure out how to do the overhead map yet, but it is a priority.  Even then, any map displayed by the client will not do the actual map justice.  For that you need to look at the the full sized map is available at the campaign website (in the Geography section) as well as in the original post.  You may find those will help a bit.  Players start at "Landfall".   I plan to do a "live map" on the website but again, this is something I need to learn how to do.

I think because of how big this land is a map dump is necessary. There are lots of people who can tell you how to make one. I am not one of those :unsure:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alesondra said:

Review (kind of)

Nice review! :)

Edit: Fruit trees. There are lots of very open places, grasslands. But these are dotted by fruit trees. After time all of this grassland will be gone and it will be over grown with fruit trees. Why do people use fruit trees, the weeds of WURM.

Tree spread is set to zero, so I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen (unless there's a bug somewhere).  If the place gets denuded of forests, I can come in and lay down a few more, but as you've seen, there's LOTS of land and lots of forest.  Even the starter island has a good coverage to the north.

Edit: Might be better to have noob spawn at a friendly location on east side of continent.

I originally planned to have 8 random spawn points spread around the world, but realised pretty soon that players would have to travel for days to meet up.  A singular location works much better also as it lets me progressively add content.  I've had at least one person build their own boat and is sailing around the place.

• Like 1

I'm amazed at such an amazing feat of work, but i have to ask you... how did you create this massive map and make it look so accurately as Britannia?  World Painter?

World Machine .... and about three months (of playing around in my spare time) trying to get it just the way I wanted it.  Admittedly a lot of that time was spent learning the tool and experimenting with techniques.  It's and awesomely powerful tool once you get the hang of it.  The Wurm map generators are good,  but you can't beat purpose-built terrain modelling tools to build your base heightmaps. :)

The whole thing started as a hobby project using Unreal first and then Unity.  Building the actual game on the base engine is a massive undertaking and I was at the point of giving up.  Then Wurm Unlimited came along and pretty much saved it.  Props to the CodeClub team! :D

Sorry, i meant World Machine, not World Painter.  I thought it had to be something like that.  Your world looks so realistic when i move about at the start point.  It feels alive and spooky and massive.  You've done a great job! 

• Like 1

Thanks to all those trying out the server.  Some have ranged much further than I expected in such a short period of time.  

I'm slowly adding content as I go. 

• The ancient haunted tower of Stonegate sits in silent watch high in the Serpent Spine range.
  • Something begins to stir deep in the bowels of Dungeon Despise (and it's not last night's curry).
  • Goblins are getting wrestless on Skara Brae island with all this new movement about. 
  • The souls of the dead have begin to stir in the ruins of old Skara Brae.   It would make a good village if it wasn't for all the damn undead. 
Edited by Lichbane

Two mods added:

• Spell Mod - remove Priest restrictions
  • No Fatigue - remove Fatigue

They will take effect at the next reboot of the server

On 12.2.2016 at 7:18 PM, Alesondra said:

Free deeds and no upkeep. Yay+++.

Indeed!

But there is the decay phenomenon. If it's ON then it's gonna be some boring work ahead, to repeatedly check the various structures belonging to a deed and to repair them.

9 hours ago, www said:

Indeed!

But there is the decay phenomenon. If it's ON then it's gonna be some boring work ahead, to repeatedly check the various structures belonging to a deed and to repair them.

I haven't turned decay on.  It may be on by default.  I'll investigate.

(If it is, it's going to be a pain with all the structures I've created so far!  :()

Edited by Lichbane

Having some issues with Clients not authenticating after the restart.  Investigating.

EDIT: All good now.

Edited by Lichbane

On 2/12/2016 at 2:18 PM, Lichbane said:

Tree spread is set to zero

Does that mean planting sprouts wont work? Ive planted over 50 sprouts and about 5 of them remain. Ive not seen that before on other servers.