Sign in to follow this  
AlexanderCrunsch

Creature type determines spawn area

I see crocodiles in woods miles from any water source. I see Pigs stand next to a hungered aggressive croc. or a chicken stand next to an anaconda. 
Example: Id like to see marsh area where crocs spawn. Pigs in "mud", (dirt or marsh) to thrive. Put scorpions in sand. Put goats in the mountains. 
Aggressive  and non aggro be in "like areas". Aggros, eat non aggro. Therefore they spawn and dwell apart from each other. Basically, diversify creature type spawn areas.

• Like 1

Crocodiles spawn on sand areas - check

Pigs spawn in grassland/woodland - check (they dont live in dirt in wildlife)

Scorpions spawn on sand areas - check

No goats in Wurm (yet)

agros attack non agros - check

creatures follow their movement code - check

what is your suggestion?

3 minutes ago, KaiH said:

Crocodiles spawn on sand areas - check

Pigs spawn in grassland/woodland - check (they dont live in dirt in wildlife)

Scorpions spawn on sand areas - check

No goats in Wurm (yet)

agros attack non agros - check

creatures follow their movement code - check

what is your suggestion?

About the only part you got consistently right was your last point... Sooooooo... What are you saying?

Edit:  Let me clarify.  Never seen aggros attack non aggros unless tamed.  Scorpions spawn everywhere.  Pigs spawn everywhere.  Crocodiles spawn everywhere.  The OP is suggesting more environmentally specific type spawning, not blanket sweep all-regional bugged layer spawning.

Edited by Slickshot

I would just like to know the reason seals spawn up in the desert but not in the water

:blink:

• Like 2

Yeah. Since when did 1,000 pound pure fat seals start living on mountain sides.  And @KaiH  Pigs don't spawn in the forests. Boars do.  Which we already have.  Pigs should spawn in dirt.

• Like 1

no idea of which critter the template was used for seals, but i have seen them on cliffsides far from any water too...

I suspect certain creatures should really just be limited by elevation on where they can roam, stick this with their spawn mechanics and you might see some more interesting creature distributions.

Trouble is this all works fine till someone takes a creature out of its habitat and you end up with immobile critters just sitting there, judging people...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Slickshot said:

Edit:  Let me clarify.  Never seen aggros attack non aggros unless tamed.  Scorpions spawn everywhere.  Pigs spawn everywhere.  Crocodiles spawn everywhere.  The OP is suggesting more environmentally specific type spawning, not blanket sweep all-regional bugged layer spawning.

wolf vs. pig i have seen myself, neither of them tamed

you need to distinguish between tile type spanws and den spawns. dens can pop up anywhere, tile spawns follow the behaviour i listed (except that scorps spawn on rock too)

@Hashtag only because humans throw pigs in little pens that WILL turn to dirt doesn't mean that pigs live in dirt naturally.

i did not see what the OP is actually suggesting, that's why i asked.

i would love a better distribution of critters and i think ErikN is looking into that as a side-project; hopefully he does not leave track on that ^_^

Wolf and Sheep having a conversation (likely scene!!) ...I walk up and the wolf attacks! (why wasnt he chewing on the sheep?!)

Wolf%20Lamb%20aggro_zpsanzdqgbr.jpg

Edited by AlexanderCrunsch

Ill take notes next time Im out adventuring to prove my initial point better.
 This wolf and sheep scenario has a large part to do with it. Sheep arent going to hang out in a field with wolves. Period.
 Put wolves in the woods. The sheep in fields. 

I saw a Champion spider and his 5 some odd minions hanging out in a field with about three horses standing right under the Champ (Spidey was 10 times larger than the horse). Theyd have been lunch.

Mainly my idea I guess was to create biomes for types of creatures. Or seclude them to certain types of biomes. Just this part of the game when all types of aggressive and non aggressives hangin out on a hill ...together, is kinda...BORING.

Edited by AlexanderCrunsch

Spawning seems fine (other than seals in the desert) however it's the movement code that's somewhat lacking, and this applies for penned animals and the ones out in the wild.

e.g. A penned animal.. if hungry they should not move to a dirt tile when the rest of the pen is tall grass or crops - real animals wouldn't!. They should choose a suitable tile to move to, not just some random direction and distance. Perhaps picking a few random tiles within range and choosing the most suitable. If movement to this tile is possible (pathfinding) it starts to move, otherwise stands still until the next movement check. This might also cut down on the number of neutral mobs that accidentally wander into caves and then get stuck in there because of the small chance to be in line with the exit and have that direction randomly rolled.

The same could be applied for mobs. They would have preference to their own tile types. Given the option of sand or grass, a scorpion would pick the sand as a preferred destination. If hungry - prefers to move towards a neutral mob or corpse.

Hungry mobs will leave their preferred locations if other animals are nearby to entice them, but would then eventually find their way back to a suitable area.

• Like 1

A short time ago in the way-back machine the "great" idea of aggros killing non-aggros was implemented within Wurm. As a moment of forethought would have indicated, the aggros were killing all the non-aggros leaving few if any remaining non-aggros. Not a good situation for anyone who wanted to collect non-aggros of various types.

Shortly thereafter due to player input (complaints) the aggros were suitably put back in line and then had to once again be content with pestering only the human inhabitants of the lands. See that lump under the rug? There it remains, sung within the silence of plausible deniability. Please do not disturb.

=Ayes=

Each creature that can wildly spawn has specific requirements, seals are rock tiles near water, rocidles are sand, I swear trolls are everywhere, and so on. The server picks a tile, then chooses from the list of animals available on that tile.

Some creatures also have dens, which can spawn them (and conditioned types too). This means that while crocodiles spawn on sand when randomly spawning, they can also spawn within the radius of a den

predator/prey code does exist (thus why bison and deer and cows run away from you) but i believe it was slightly modified when the only cows existed as corpses. I believe it relies on the predators hunger levels as to whether they attack or not.

Creature spawn is fairly diverse, though dens can change that a bit.