Sign in to follow this  
Sullius

Trying to make map

Hello I am trying to find out the best way to make a custom map I am not sure how to make the height map so that it is what I want and trying to create the map below

http://prntscr.com/a0phn4

Had to link it could not get it to add any other way

Edited by Sullius
  • Like 1

You would need a software like World Machine to generate your heightmap. Once thats done you can import the heightmap in a Wurm map generator and generate your biomes there.

If you want to push it even further, you can export different map files from World Machine to define your biomes, but thats a lot more complex, at least for me.

On 2/8/2016 at 7:03 AM, Sullius said:

Hello I am trying to find out the best way to make a custom map I am not sure how to make the height map so that it is what I want and trying to create the map below

http://prntscr.com/a0phn4

Had to link it could not get it to add any other way

Nice map.  One problem I see is that it needs to be entirely surrounded by water, so you'll need to extrapolate what the bounds outside the map are.  That's a restriction of Wurm that can't be avoided.

As TheBird956 said, the best results will be achieved with World Machine or something similar.  That will require a bit of work understanding the tool and making it work for you.  I can lend you some advice if you want to go down that path, but it's not a quick one and does require a lot of tweaking to get the effect you want, but I can point you in the right direction at least.  My world machine project can be adapted to most basic maps.  And it'll do splatmaps that you can use as dry riverbeds.

Oh ... and access to Photoshop will make your project much, much easier.  Sometimes World machine leaves artifact at the edges of the map and it's much easier to clean it up using Photoshop than working within the project itself; I say Photoshop, but any product that'll handle 16bit greyscale will do (The Gimp unfortunately only does 8 bit).

You'll so need to decide on size as well.  If you're going to attempt a 16k map, you need some beefy hardware to generate the heightmap, work within the Wurm Generation apps and run the server (around 32Gb for each of those processes).

If you need a hand, send me a message.

Edited by Lichbane

On 2/15/2016 at 6:56 PM, Lichbane said:

Nice map.  One problem I see is that it needs to be entirely surrounded by water, so you'll need to extrapolate what the bounds outside the map are.  That's a restriction of Wurm that can't be avoided.

As TheBird956 said, the best results will be achieved with World Machine or something similar.  That will require a bit of work understanding the tool and making it work for you.  I can lend you some advice if you want to go down that path, but it's not a quick one and does require a lot of tweaking to get the effect you want, but I can point you in the right direction at least.  My world machine project can be adapted to most basic maps.  And it'll do splatmaps that you can use as dry riverbeds.

Oh ... and access to Photoshop will make your project much, much easier.  Sometimes World machine leaves artifact at the edges of the map and it's much easier to clean it up using Photoshop than working within the project itself; I say Photoshop, but any product that'll handle 16bit greyscale will do (The Gimp unfortunately only does 8 bit).

You'll so need to decide on size as well.  If you're going to attempt a 16k map, you need some beefy hardware to generate the heightmap, work within the Wurm Generation apps and run the server (around 32Gb for each of those processes).

If you need a hand, send me a message.

Gimp dev channel has 16-bit, it just hasn't made it into the main release channel yet.