Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

Tree spreading rate on Epic

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but trees are spreading at a crazy rate recently places that have been large open fields since the server launch are now in the last few months almost 100% covered in trees. Been bugging me for a bit, but didn't say anything cause I didn't know if it was just me but it seems like something is broken because everything is just trees now.

THIS hota is not the same, trees are covering the whole battlefield, we've clear cut areas and it's regrown at a stupid rate, this just kills hota pvp cuz of the trees, we want it like old elevation, so whip out your GM tools, cut the trees and spread the steppe. Add it to your spring/summer/winter updates or w/e.

Edited by Mclovin
  • Like 1

I agree, but then there is hardly anyone playing on Elevation atm, lack of regular traffic may be part of the problem / issue.

6 minutes ago, Rhianna said:

I agree, but then there is hardly anyone playing on Elevation atm, lack of regular traffic may be part of the problem / issue.

Defiantly cannot account for how crazy fast they have been spreading this last month or so, they spread like wild fire and are in areas we control and no one was cutting them before this the trees where filling in slowly but recently they just covered the entire fields in a matter of weeks.

Edited by Darklords

yeah I had noticed the hota area suddenly being full of trees thinking back to even just a week ago.

• Like 1

+ you say nobody is playing elevation but in reality that's just Rome. MR/VD/JK still very active, has nothing to do with trees regrowing/hota being a Tree-fest. Was like it since day 1 when it should be just pure steppe with some trees. [on the hota]

Edited by Mclovin

wellllllllllllll i was going to clear hota BUT SOMEONE KEPT STEALING MY HATCHETSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Like 3

i do know the roman people stopped wild growth-ing huge swathes of it down if that has had any effect

Used to be like that on Chaos too.  Have you tried removing the grass?

Tree spreading rate is out of hand on Xanadu as well. It's not that much that the rate is so fast but that trees can spread a long way from other trees (Estimate: 10-12 tiles away). A large grassland is soon covered in trees again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Propheteer said:

i do know the roman people stopped wild growth-ing huge swathes of it down if that has had any effect

Where they wild growing the open fields on the way to the white light before to cause they aren't fields any more also =D.

Edited by Darklords

Agreed, you can barely see the tower at Diamond Battle camp at this point.  It was always an open field until recently. 

+1 Clearing Hota

• Like 1

I wonder if it has something to do with old trees vs new trees, the old ones very rarely spawn next to each other there are usually diagonal type strips and more checkered patterns. The new ones however seem to not care and will spread to every single tile creating awful thick forests, especially the fatter trunk variety. I'm not sure that there is an increase in growth more just the behaviour of having a server starting with new trees types. I'm surprised it has taken this many months already for the open fields to grow over to be honest, open fields have always been a dream.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2016 at 9:31 AM, LorenaMontana said:

Sand the ###### place

problem solved

Or ya know fix the problem if one exists I know its hard to understand but I posted this in the server bugs forum not the suggestions forum meaning I was just letting them know about a possible bug I though might exist so they could possibly look into it.  Any areas I need to be treeless are sanded already but that does not change the fact that I think in a recent patch he did something to severely speed up tree spreading some how.

to-much-salt-400x400.jpg

On 2/11/2016 at 2:02 AM, SmeJack said:

I wonder if it has something to do with old trees vs new trees, the old ones very rarely spawn next to each other there are usually diagonal type strips and more checkered patterns. The new ones however seem to not care and will spread to every single tile creating awful thick forests, especially the fatter trunk variety. I'm not sure that there is an increase in growth more just the behaviour of having a server starting with new trees types. I'm surprised it has taken this many months already for the open fields to grow over to be honest, open fields have always been a dream.

I would agree with this and maybe I'm wrong but this issue has shown up more recently there where areas that where large (100x100+ tiles) of pure fields(that had been open fields for months and months and months) and in the last month they went from giant fields to forests something changed recently and its taking over large open areas at a crazy rate compared to the old rate. Maybe I'm just going crazy, but I'm not the only one who kept mentioning the insane tree growth in our group I just decided to make the thread after we talked about it in teamspeak for like the 7th time and still didn't have a thread about it up to let them know.

If the tree's were not growing too fast people would be complaining that they are growing to slow. 

Sand the ground and no more tree's, if you want open grasslands, cut the tree's when they grow. I have not noticed any change in months of playing, the tree's do not seem to spring up any more often than before into my love path 9x9 flower bed or anywhere else on my deeds. 

If there are tree's in the area, expect new ones popping up on the grass tiles within x-number of tiles, at least that is what I think the code calls for. I have clear cut entire tracks of forest and watch the tree's slowly creep back and renew, if this didn't happen wurm would end up being nothing but grass everywhere and then when you need a log for something there would be none to be found.

I would like to point out in the 100x100 of pure fields, did anyone inspect every single tile to make sure there was not the smallest of seedlings ready to mature and propagate more trees?

trees can pop up, sure. Thick forrests in what was open fields after a couple of weeks, no. Like you said, slowly creep back and this isn't the case on Elevation as of right now. 

Edited by Mclovin
  • Like 1

Seems to have started when a patch was released on unlimited to increase tree spread percentage.

There is definitely a problem that needs looking into, as its not just a few random trees popping up, but rather a bunch.

Edited by ausimus
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I would like to point out in the 100x100 of pure fields, did anyone inspect every single tile to make sure there was not the smallest of seedlings ready to mature and propagate more trees?

It's not an issue of me not wanting trees to spread, I understand they do and more than understand sanding an area will not let them grow back at all. I'm not worried about a specific area, I can fix or cut and clear any problem areas, I was just noting that trees seem to be taking over large fields at a much faster rate than before recently and was making note of it in case it was an unintended change of something else.  Pvp sucks in forests(the code recks your archery accuracy for every tree it flys over, not to mention trying to find some one in a forest when there nolocated so you can't use a pendi to find them) and they seem to be spreading faster than before so I figured I would mention it for the off change some one decided to look into it.

Edited by Darklords