Sign in to follow this  
sweatygopher

A server that resets?

I've been playing Wurm unlimited a lot lately, but then just stopped.  The server I was playing on died, and kind of lost interest in starting over as the servers tend to die quite often, or they have too fast of skill actions/gain and that takes the fun out of it when everyone is max level in a week or it takes no effort at all to do anything.

What Wurm needs to have is a server that is official, that resets yearly.  One of the reasons I don't start up a new player is I have nothing to offer the existing wurm universe unless I want to live in my own little bubble and only invite new players in.  There's too many existing old timers, and with the selling of accounts etc there is no shortage of high level players.

There's also the aspect that it just doesn't sound appealing that everything is already established and the best town places are taken.  There's just something about a fresh start that appeals to a lot of wurmians and I don't know why that is exactly.

What a server that resets yearly would solve -

It would attract new and old players to come and try the game after the vast many improvements.  This would have standard skill gains and action timers so that at the end of the lifecycle you could migrate your character to one of the official servers and after a year of playing you would be ready to contribute your skills would be high enough.  If you decided to remain on this server, you would be granted additional affinities and lose all your progress.  This server would be premium only to avoid mass creation of free players right before server resets.

The end of the year would be the greatest wurmian migration!  It would be a time to celebrate the new arrivals and people would wait at the portals to try and recruit all the transfers.  There could be a big feast and party!  Every year Wurm could advertise the server restart and Wurm would never need to add a new server, as the existing reset server would fill that void that so many have longed for.

Players would of course be able to permanently transfer to the main servers at any time via the normal methods.

This would also provide new players the ability to immediately be a part of a non-broken economy.

I know similar suggestions have been made before but I thought I would start the discussion again, so please give me your thoughts on this! :)

Edited by sweatygopher

They have tried resetting servers before and what was found out was that:

a ) People become attached to their work and refuse to reset it and

b ) The people who want a new server because they constantly compare themselves to other peoples' skills will always compare themselves to others regardless of whether or not they all start out from scratch

Play the game for your own sake; there will always be someone better, stronger or faster than you even if your skills and lands are reset on regular intervals. I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to have your resetting server, but I think it would be a lot of waste of time and resources that would in the end amass to absolutely nothing.

• Like 6

Yeah I considered these...

A -  If you're dumb enough to join a resetting server and then get upset that your stuff is going to be lost, tha's on you no one else!

Plus didn't they just reset a bunch of the pvp servers last year and everyone loved it?

B - It's not the comparing of skills that entices me, but that I would be in an economy where I could immediately compete.  I could sell things again, for more than coppers and not have to slave away to do it!  People would need low to medium quality tools, which I could end up providing.  You see comparing myself to anyone else is silly, since ultimately I'm playing not with them, but next to them.  It's when you want to start making money and selling things that you realize you have two years worth of training to do to compete with the crafters.  At which point I will just settle for my wurm unlimited servers that do what I asked above, just much more poorly and I won't be able to make money (which I can't anyway on the main servers, since I can't compete).

I suppose this is a pipe dream, and wurm unlimited will have to suffice! 

Unfortunately that means no monthly payments to wurm, though.  Hopefully they have planned expansions?

To answer your A:
That is exactly the point. People would be aware of the fact that you lose your stuff/skills if they joined it so there would be three scenarios to look at:
1) Very very low population of the resetting server,

2) People who joined the server unaware of the situation because they were new and didn't read all text and/or

3) The people who did join the server knowing what would happen to it have become attached to their stuff/skills even though they knew what would come to happen to it.

Category 2&3 would then argue that they are the players of the server and they do not want to see a reset. It has nothing to do with perceived stupidity, it's just what happens when you've worked towards something for a year's time.

I don't really have anything to say about B since that is about the playermade market and not about the game per se.

The real issue here is not so much the game, but the lack of new players funding a workable and thriving economy. If Rolf advertised the game, then current crafters, both new and established, would be able to compete.. New players would buy premium on both wurm online and unlimited servers, and the game as a whole would benefit.

I don't mind server sesets, although, as Aeris stated, there would be a wall of opposition to this as people have put in time and money into making their deeds on both pve and pvp servers.

Well it is partly the game.  I mean the same things that drove me away the first time (3 years ago) are still issues to this day - Cooking still hasn't been made interesting, and food is still down to meals being the standard.  No Animal Training / Animal Lore so you can grow personally with animals other than horses which have a practical use that you bond with (riding)...  and then decay causing extreme tedium after awhile.

One of my favorite things about this game was the different types of wood affecting the look of the item, but it was cheapened by the "add last piece of wood to make it whatever" and then that made it more of a cosmetic thing, and then it was taken away recently.  It could have been an economic thing if the whole piece had to be made with a specific type of wood... I wanted to have a reason to cut apple / lemon trees lol

This game could be a lot of fun it's just missing a lot of little tweaks here and there for the animal taming side of things.  More colors/skins for different animals, more personalization and usefulness of each animal... I mean this game is one of the few games that lets you breed almost everything.  It's really squandered, though.

Edited by sweatygopher

The game has a lot of issues that certainly need looking into, I'm also curious as to when these updated shader emulated wood types are supposed to make their first appearance.

Epic was suppose to be this, then challenge. Look at epic now, and look at challenge now.

16 minutes ago, CubeManV2 said:

Epic was suppose to be this

no

16 minutes ago, CubeManV2 said:

then challenge

yes and it sucked

• Like 2

Yeah Epic was pvp, and challenge was popular when it started, but it didn't have any lasting appeal.  I'm talking about a freedom style server, PVE slow skills, etc.  But you have all made valid points.  The problem is most likely not what a new server would fix, but with the game itself.  It just doesn't have any appeal to spend 100's of dollars starting a town so you can two years down the road compete in the economy.   Maybe a good temporary solution would be to simply start a new server, but never connect to the cluster and make it permanent?  Start a new cluster?

The design of the game itself is flawed, as goods should be based on time and not skill level, in order for anyone and everyone to compete.  Since it's based on skill level, you will always run into a dead end economy.

Edited by sweatygopher

1 hour ago, MrGARY said:

no

yes and it sucked

yes it was

the pvp side of the game really needs resets, it stagnates too easily. 3/4ths of the population doesn't even bother raiding, and the other 1/4th doesnt bother after a few months in because whats the point in a few days work in gear that you need to spend multiple days getting and weeks on weeks of preparation?

with that being said, its unlikely something like this will ever happen because people are against it even if they don't end up playing there. Aeris said it well enough, just try to play your own game.

for the 54543th time rolf removed the idea of resets on epic when scenarios were being added, which was before epic was even released

here have rolf's thread as I always link

sure the game stagnates too easily but forced rebuilding within a time frame so you dont get screwed over by enemy every year or whatever makes most people rather not want to play

• Like 1

Still doesn't change the fact that that was what Epic was supposed to be, it just means he scrapped it early on. You should really reconsider how you address this issue if you link that post every time even though what you're saying doesn't match what the thread says. And why did he scrap that idea? Because people didn't want it.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

for the 54543th time rolf removed the idea of resets on epic when scenarios were being added, which was before epic was even released

here have rolf's thread as I always link

sure the game stagnates too easily but forced rebuilding within a time frame so you dont get screwed over by enemy every year or whatever makes most people rather not want to play

that doesn't change the fact that it originally was meant to have resets

I think people are arguing two different things, yes it was considered as an idea during brainstorming but it was discarded and the server released without resets being on the table meaning people didn't think their stuff was going to get deleted.

2 hours ago, Aeris said:

The game has a lot of issues that certainly need looking into, I'm also curious as to when these updated shader emulated wood types are supposed to make their first appearance.

Tired of your playdo boat, Aeris? ;) Seriously, me too. I miss the colors.

7 hours ago, sweatygopher said:

<snip>.  It just doesn't have any appeal to spend 100's of dollars starting a town so you can two years down the road compete in the economy.   <snip>

i don't see many people spending 100's of dollars starting a town on a yearly resetting server.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KaiH said:

i don't see many people spending 100's of dollars starting a town on a yearly resetting server.

Two things:

-Personal preference doesn't determine the masses preference

-"Freshness" is VERY popular and quite common among many major communities, Take your pick of game and genre: FPS, MMO, MMORPG, RPG, Games for example: Garrys mod, Minecraft, Skyrim, WoW Private servers and so on n so fourth. 

Also i doubt many would be spending more then 10s-20s on a resetting server. 

Believe their is demand for a Epic type survival/hunting server that would be on the Freedom cluster , or accessible using the same toon without leveling over

Having it no deed and resetting yearly would probably rock

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, akaedis said:

Two things:

-Personal preference doesn't determine the masses preference

-"Freshness" is VERY popular and quite common among many major communities, Take your pick of game and genre: FPS, MMO, MMORPG, RPG, Games for example: Garrys mod, Minecraft, Skyrim, WoW Private servers and so on n so fourth. 

Also i doubt many would be spending more then 10s-20s on a resetting server. 

yes, this is what WU should compensate for - satisfying personal preferences of those who don't want to play in a fixed environment that is not to their liking.

Freshness in WO could be achieved by a hunting server (was suggested soooo often), in WU you can just replace the map and rule sets

Although I would have no interest whatsoever in playing on any server that "resets" destroying everything that I had built and accomplished over time, I suppose there would be no harm in the Devs creating one for those who see this as being of interest. Pretty much a S&I forum section post though and should have been started there.

=Ayes=

16 hours ago, sweatygopher said:

... What Wurm needs to have is a server that is official, that resets yearly.  One of the reasons I don't start up a new player is I have nothing to offer the existing wurm universe unless I want to live in my own little bubble and only invite new players in.  There's too many existing old timers, and with the selling of accounts etc there is no shortage of high level players. ...

Yes and No.

You correctly describe the problem with the current mechanic (nothing new characters can offer, many old timers, high skills, spots taken or ruined) - but a server that resets once a year is not a solution to that problem and instead introduces problems of it's own. Sure, the server would initially be a nice thing - all new servers are. But what after 6 months, or after 9 months, or 10? Knowing that the server will reset in 2 or 3 months from now? Few people would play on a server when they know that - no matter what they do - it will all be gone in a few weeks time. It solves nothing.

The solution is to address the problem instead. Invent game mechanics that keep a server fresh even when it's old, that creates room for new players. Create mechanics that allow newer characters to compete with highly developed characters in crafting and economy. That is what would keep old servers fresh and playable by new characters.

Such a server would pull a very very low number of players.  Not worth putting the money into it.