Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Graphics Lag after recent model update

On 2016-02-09 at 4:39 PM, Nicrolis said:

I noticed that wurm is using my 4th core ALOT compared to the other 3...

The operating system schedules threads as it see fit. If a thread has started its life on the 4th core, the OS generally tries to keep it on the same core to not induce unnecessary context switches.

If RAM is tight, it could become that the GC is using a lot of CPU, effectively locking up the program for periods of time.

Maybe I'm blind (I'm told the first thing you become blind on is the eyes), but I don't see anything about amount of RAM in the systems for the ones experiencing the problem. Is system RAM amount not listed? If so, that's a shortcoming that needs to be addressed. Also JVM version (incl. 32- or 64-bit) should be listed.

I'm getting a lot more FPS swapping to the harddrive after the updates than I did before. I've walked 10 tiles offdeed and already my RAM is filled up and I'm stuttering around.

W7 (set on lowest graphics settings since all the visual crap is ###### anyway)

8GB of RAM, an Nvidia GeForce card above the recommended one for WU

Ps. I also have the lowest of lowest Wurm settings since I tab out a lot and don't really need anything fancier.

Edited by Aeris

Exact computer specs don't matter anymore, ANY kind of testing with more than 8 people in local will reveal lag...

Any event with people in local and any travelling you might do will cause insurmountable travel lags, hangs and fps shooting all over -all you have to do is test it yourself

My suggestion: seriously consider the employment status of the person that came up with this 'optimization', revert to the old but actually functioning models and keep the new system on your own (private) test servers for however many months you need to make it run properly - it's not like we are in any rush...

And no, I do not speak in my own name only, but in the names of anyone and everyone attending any event (uniques?) or that travel by land on large distances (merchants, travellers) experiencing godawful slowdowns, disconnects, lags, and zero fps lockups no matter how powerful their computers are (which is....probably 99.99%? of the people in the aforementioned situations)

I think the better question to ask is who is NOT experiencing issues....you might be able to figure out something from there, but honestly i don't know anyone that isn't experiencing them...well besides people that do not leave their homes

PS. Tested with high end desktops (i7-3770k OC) and low end (Celeron G540) - the results are the same

Edited by Thorakkanath
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Thorakkanath said:

Exact computer specs don't matter anymore, ANY kind of testing with more than 8 people in local will reveal lag...

Any event with people in local and any travelling you might do will cause insurmountable travel lags, hangs and fps shooting all over -all you have to do is test it yourself

My suggestion: seriously consider the employment status of the person that came up with this 'optimization', revert to the old but actually functioning models and keep the new system on your own (private) test servers for however many months you need to make it run properly - it's not like we are in any rush...

And no, I do not speak in my own name only, but in the names of anyone and everyone attending any event (uniques?) or that travel by land on large distances (merchants, travellers) experiencing godawful slowdowns, disconnects, lags, and zero fps lockups no matter how powerful their computers are (which is....probably 99.99%? of the people in the aforementioned situations)

I think the better question to ask is who is NOT experiencing issues....you might be able to figure out something from there, but honestly i don't know anyone that isn't experiencing them...well besides people that do not leave their homes

PS. Tested with high end desktops (i7-3770k OC) and low end (Celeron G540) - the results are the same

The reason I'm asking for specifics is so that the information is at hand. We've had some reports that there are no issues, some reports of major issues. I'm fairly certain I know why the reports have been differing now, but the information continues to be a help.

The optimizations have been worked on for months, and once ironed out, they will be a great boon to Wurm. Already people are reporting the fastest and least intensive client load times. We also *do* test things locally - and this was tested for months, but we also can't recreate the dynamic world of Wurm locally no matter how hard we try. I can't run 15 or 200 players in local to test something, and neither can those who have been working on the client. So we do test to the best of our abilities, and then when a problem is discovered, you'll see a thread like this.

Unfortunately, the response to this thread has been lacking. It's like a detective trying to find a murderer with a hundred witnesses but only 10 come forward to give the details they saw.

I thank everyone who has given details, but if you're reading this and having issues - please reply and give your description of what's happening to you.

Thank you!

On 2/14/2016 at 6:22 AM, Keenan said:

.... Already people are reporting the fastest and least intensive client load times. ....

Which is odd to me, because the client always loaded really fast for me prior to this big update. Also, I don't really care if the load times are 10 times slower, as long as playability is good. It doesn't load up any faster after the update and every person in my alliance is reporting issues with travel and especially any group events. 

Also, you mention neither you nor any of the devs being able to run "15 or 200 players in local".  Why not?  I had 2 laptops running 42 clients last month, for my private sermon group.  One laptop was only using an integrated Intel graphics (12 clients) and the other (30 clients) had a nice Nvidia to power it.  Surely between you and a handful of devs, you can toss up that may combined and see how hard it chews up your resources???

Edited by Wurmhole

47 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

Which is odd to me, because the client always loaded really fast for me prior to this big update. Also, I don't really care if the load times are 10 times slower, as long as playability is good. It doesn't load up any faster after the update and every person in my alliance is reporting issues with travel and especially any group events. 

Also, you mention neither you nor any of the devs being able to run "15 or 200 players in local".  Why not?  I had 2 laptops running 42 clients last month, for my private sermon group.  One laptop was only using an integrated Intel graphics (12 clients) and the other (30 clients) had a nice Nvidia to power it.  Surely between you and a handful of devs, you can toss up that may combined and see how hard it chews up your resources???

For internal testing (before Test server), I have a single PC that runs 2x Ubuntu server VMs, and I have to run my development clients from Eclipse in order to connect locally. All of that overhead makes it somewhat difficult to pull off that many players in local. Test would be another story, but again - we would have to create that may accounts to test with.

More active players on Test when code is being reviewed before live would solve many problems, which is something that's being worked on.

As for load times, the client loaded fast depending on where you are. In the middle of a huge PvP deed with long houses and structures all over - it would take me 5 minutes+ even after entering the world for enough models to load so I could move. Now it's fairly instantaneous. Plus a smaller pack overall is good.

How about you joining a unique hunt or the upcoming Celebration event?

• Like 2

The problem is we are getting repeatedly told 'faster load times' but.....EVEN if your computer is god awfully slow and you load wurm in 5 minutes (which to be honest seems impossible....are you running Wurm off a SD card?).....load times are insignificant when compared to the actual play times...why focus on that?

Perform an ABC analysis....don't focus on the many but small issues - focus on the few but big - game crippling - ones...not being able to travel to anywhere without collapsing your system for one is by far more important than load times

(then again I guess if your game crashes every 5 minutes, you do spend a lot of time loading the game...)

On 2/14/2016 at 3:22 PM, Keenan said:

The optimizations have been worked on for months [...]

I am truly sorry for the lost time...

PS. I do have something (objective) to add to this thread: it seems the model update starved wurm of its needed RAM, allocating more ram to it (i.e. just as much as it used to need) does alleviate some issues - but overall it still performs fantastically worse than before the model update

There's a huge lack of understanding in what these optimizations have done, which is likely due to the mixed results.

1) WOM is a binary model, not XML-based like Collada. To put this in non-technical terms, binary is sort of like just "knowing" something where as XML is more akin to having to re-read the documentation every time.

2) The new textures are compressed with a very popular compression type. We were using JPGs and PNGs, which are rather large. Compressed textures mean less memory used.

These two things factor in to faster load times and less memory used, once we find the cause of the performance issues. There has been no wasted time. Merely a bug must be rooted out and corrected. I understand that remaining positive can be difficult, but negative comments and criticism serve no one. What helps is observations, however small, and information. You can't expect a doctor to sort you out if all you do is complain about how bad you feel, and even less likely if all you do is tell him how bad of a doctor he is. Information is key.

I've been relaying all of this information back to the developers, as my time isn't what it was a few months ago. It is helping, and I hope to have an update soon. Stay positive, report observations, and please do not derail threads like this with unneeded negativity.

• Like 1

How can a doctor find the reason why his patient can't move at all when he only tries calling him?

Maybe the doctor should just visit his patient and check who tied him down to the bed.

I really don't see much negativity in this thread;

unless you consider players telling you what they perceive as negativity (maybe we are incapable of talking your type of language).

The reasons for the latest perceived lag are still unclear, your explanation of what .wom is does not change that or the players perception of the issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keenan said:

For internal testing (before Test server), I have a single PC that runs 2x Ubuntu server VMs, and I have to run my development clients from Eclipse in order to connect locally. All of that overhead makes it somewhat difficult to pull off that many players in local. Test would be another story, but again - we would have to create that may accounts to test with.

More active players on Test when code is being reviewed before live would solve many problems, which is something that's being worked on.

As for load times, the client loaded fast depending on where you are. In the middle of a huge PvP deed with long houses and structures all over - it would take me 5 minutes+ even after entering the world for enough models to load so I could move. Now it's fairly instantaneous. Plus a smaller pack overall is good.

Ok, so we have enabled fast loading in massive PvP strongholds at the cost of...  I'm perfectly willing to roll back to the older client and sacrifice fast PvP loading times, until this get's resolved ;)

3 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

Ok, so we have enabled fast loading in massive PvP strongholds at the cost of...  I'm perfectly willing to roll back to the older client and sacrifice fast PvP loading times, until this get's resolved ;)

I see that I will need to be more reserved with my replies in the future. :)

On another note, with the help of Saroman, we've had progress in reproducing the issue with sufficient debugging data to be helpful towards a resolution.

• Like 1

After travelling for a while (around 30 minutes?), as soon as I see somebody in local, I get severe lag. It happens with only one person in local but is worse if there are more people.

• Indicate the number of clients you are running as well: only 1
  • and the memory usage reported in Task Manager: didn't check this, sorry
  • Java Version: Version 8 Update 73
  • Operating System and Version: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60 GHz
  • System RAM: 8.00 GB
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
  • Graphics card memory: 8162 MB (total), 4096 MB GDDR 5 (dedicated)
  • Current driver version: 361.75
  • Dump of Wurm options: http://pastebin.com/iUT9Yp0g
  • Indicate if you are using a modified shortcut that changes things such as heap space: No
  • Wurm client you are using and the version in the title bar: Stable client; 3.99v

If you need more information, please let me know.

Fix the memory leak first. It have never been worse and only getting worse and worse with each update.

It have always been there but it started to get really bad with java8 required client and with model change it sky rocket. I can fill menory in 10min just by run around in areas with many models. It also seems related to chat, the more I type and the more other type the faster the client get laggy and in end freezes. As already mentioned with many people in local client crash just by be around. I feel confident that performance problems related to memory leak in graphic memory.

With such an obviously bug it puzzling me why it not easy to find and fix.

• Like 1

Please check this thread for a possible improvement