DevBlog

R2768 – Model format update

37 posts in this topic

All models in the graphics.jar have been converted to our new format .wom, which will greatly reduce loading times and should help with traveling lag. Enjoy!

1 person likes this

Any advice when the download isn't working?

Tried the 5th time now and got to 73 % (before it was max 35) before it simply stopped.

Just wondering how long this update should take to download? My internet is working normally, but the download has stopped at 100% for over 40 minutes.

2 minutes ago, olafhairybreeks said:

Just wondering how long this update should take to download? My internet is working normally, but the download has stopped at 100% for over 40 minutes.

I would try to start it again, hopefully at some point it goes through.

At least that's what I keep doing.

Edited by Lillyth

if you have any client of Wurm running it can not replace the graphics.jar

close all running clients.

check for running applications in the taskmanager (Windows)

kill all Java(TM) entries and retry.

yes, it is annoying to restart the download :(

Mine went through now ... at the 7th try I think.

Was the first time I started Wurm today.

@Olaf, someone suggested deleting the graphics jar in the packs folder and then try again.

1 person likes this

The only Java application was the Wurm one, but I closed it anyway just in case! Trying attempt number 4... If it doesn't work this time I'll restart the computer and try again.

1 person likes this

In irc it was said that deleting the graphics jar from the pak folder seems to fix the issue, if you run into it!

I've restarted my computer and run Wurm again with no other programmes running. It seems to have worked this time! Thanks all for the advice. :)

1 person likes this

My update took longer than normal, but all packs updated with no issue.  I'm using the unstable client with experimental checked.   

Will the details of the new format be shared?  There are tools out there that benefit from being able to open the models.

I got to 100% then could not start the game so I did it again and had it verify the files.

Worked fine for me.

1 hour ago, enoofu said:

Is their going to be a way for modders to open the WUM files

Don't know. I was searching for a converter and a program all I could find on wom is some discontinued software on wom. So I don't know. I don't know if dae will still be supported if not then looks like modding or future adding models is out.

No clue what this wom is, an if it's new it's so new not even the people who develop it know about it. Will just have to wait and see if CC is going to tell us or make us run around an do guess work.

Maybe google didn't do a good job searching but what I read on what I could find on Wom looks like WO is taking things back to the stone age rather than forward in tech. I'm only saying this cause of the lack of communication.

Edited by Arkonick

WOM from my understanding is new inhouse wurm online game engine format, pretty much all game engines use custom formats. I'm guessing they have already have a plug in or at least a exporter, for some 3D graphic file extensions

.wom = wurm online model ?? just a guess but I believe its a proprietary file type for wurm.

4 hours ago, thekraken said:

.wom = wurm online model ?? just a guess but I believe its a proprietary file type for wurm.

Yes, it's not an old model format, it's a custom model format for Wurm

Believe the main question now is their going to be a public importer/exporter 

22 minutes ago, enoofu said:

Believe the main question now is their going to be a public importer/exporter 

I will need to write one for DeedPlanner.

16 minutes ago, PassiveMiniroll said:

Well the latest update made the game laggier and travel lag worse!

I've not run into anyone with a negative impact. Everyone I spoke to about it says the game loads a lot faster, it's much smoother and gives higher fps. Perhaps some settings affect it, try messing around with them even if higher graphics is an option as who knows it may work.