Sign in to follow this  
MootRed

How do trader Ratio work?

If the value of items sold by the trader (= cash it received) divided by the value of items bought by the trader (= cash it gave out) is lower than 1/10, then it won't receive money from the king.

Resets every 28 days.

So, as long as the trader ratio is greater than 10%, its good.

3 minutes ago, MootRed said:

So, as long as the trader ratio is greater than 10%, its good.

Is this still the case?  I've kept mine at a ratio of 12-20% for several months and I get maybe 20-30c every month

3 minutes ago, Kruggan said:

Is this still the case?  I've kept mine at a ratio of 12-20% for several months and I get maybe 20-30c every month

Is your trader in a lonely place? With no players in local?

17 minutes ago, Kruggan said:

Yes admittedly my island isn't exactly a populated area :)

This may be the reason. Rumour has it that the amount of silver a trader gets is related to the number of players in local when the royal envoy visits him. (There are additional factors, of course.)

I had the same problem (getting like 70c per month) before my local became a bit more busy.

It has more to do with the total amount of traders out there on your server.

The rumor of players in local is false, it has always directly correlated to the number of deeds and said deed's upkeep expenses.  Deeds pay upkeep, upkeep is put into the kingdom pool, the kingdom pool is passed onto traders, players drain the traders, pay upkeep, cycle repeats.  The more deeds there are and, more accurately, the more upkeep paid across a server... the more funds traders will have.

Now, you take into account the Sell to token feature and the rare coins for doing completely random acts.  Those all pull from the kingdom funds.   So when you get people selling to tken consistently and farming rare coins by foraging on alts... you have what you have... and let me tell you, we all have very little.

I drained 4 traders accurately and efficiently for years, I accurately calculated my drains such that my traders had 10.20% - 11% ratios at all times and I was successfully earning 20s per trader per month.

Fast forward 3 years, the opening of Xanadu, the features of rare coins and Selling to tokens, the opening of WU, the loss of nearly 50% of deeds on the server... I quit draining period as 20-40c wasn't worth my time.

ok.

i think there was 'some' change then, as i keep hearing of traders suddenly giving more now.

No worries, i accept your opinion, i just like facts.

7 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

I drained 4 traders accurately and efficiently for years, I accurately calculated my drains such that my traders had 10.20% - 11% ratios at all times and I was successfully earning 20s per trader per month.

Fast forward 3 years, the opening of Xanadu, the features of rare coins and Selling to tokens, the opening of WU, the loss of nearly 50% of deeds on the server... I quit draining period as 20-40c wasn't worth my time.

You are right, I do not deny these factors - in fact they are major ones. Drains have dramatically decreased due to loss of deeds and the other issues you mentioned.

BUT: in addition to that the number of people in local DOES INDEED play a role. You can easily test it yourself, for example by comparing several months with and without a decent number of alts around your trader. Some friends and myself made these tests for quite a while now and I think we can safely confirm that the number of toons in local has a considerable effect.

(Apart from that I think I remember I heard someone say they even found it in the WU code.)

23 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

The rumor of players in local is false,

Yeah nah... It's a change that was only put in around a year ago.

I had 40 traders scattered across servers, many years ago they all got equal payments but in the past year or so it is massively skewed towards the ones at active towns, every trader out in the forest got literally 10 copper - the ones near Kyara got 30s+ each, for the ones on Freedom if I left an alt logged in 24/7 in local of one of the traders the payouts went from 10 copper to 20 silver per month.

Trust me I know traders, I got 76 gold from them over 2 years before I gave most of them away.

Kinda dumb, Rolf probably put this fix in to stop people chaining traders across the map and making lots of silver from them but all he's done is made it so the only people making money from them are either large villages (who arguably don't need more silver anyways) or people who know how to game the system by strategically placing traders or having alts on 24/7 - it would have been more equitable if it was left alone so any old noob could put a trader anywhere and get a slice of the funds.

To the OP: as long as ratio is +0.1 it's all fine and no difference, just wait until the reset and buy something for 2-3 silver and then drain the trader back entirely, wait another 28 days for reset (note that resets sometimes delay it, get someone on PoK to check)

Edited by Gavin

I used to get 4s per month from my trader but about 6months ago it changed to 60-80coppers. When Pristine and Release came live, i drained 150s in 4 hours from 2 public Deli traders at Greendog. To be honest, only dev's know how that really works and thruth is it aint working.

Review these few responses from some who made excessive amounts from Trader draining and you will get a glimpse at the extent of the problem until other freebie coin give-backs (token sales, for/bot, mob kills, bury) were introduced into the game to reduce the advantage taken. Looks like still more work needs to be done to distribute coins more equitably to the player-base, although the effect remains the same in reducing game income.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, same ole' stuff...

=Ayes=