Sign in to follow this  
Savos

Horseshoes speed increase

I want to start off by saying that I'm brand new to the game, as I started playing only by a week. Keeping that in mind, I am not 100% sure if the testing I did is completely accurate. 

Anyway, according to the wiki the Horseshoes (http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Horse_shoe) do not increase the moving speed until the QL of every individual horseshoe is 50 or above, or until the summed QL of the wore horseshoes reaches 70. 

Total Shoe Quality Speed of the Horse
Unshod 13.69 kph
1 - 60 QL 13.69 kph
70 - 130 QL 14.40 kph

I did some short tests and I noticed that my moving speed while commanding a cart with hitched horses changed whenever I removed or put horseshoes from my horses.

As you can see in the top left corner my speed is between 12,99 and 13,00 km/h when both my horses are wearing horseshoes. 

dr81ed.jpg

It drops significantly to 12,23 km/h when removing the 46 QL horseshoes from one of my horses.

4vmx6t.jpg

It remains at 12,23 km/h even when decreasing the summed up quality of the remaining horseshoes below 70 by removing one of the horseshoes.

2enysf5.jpg

With no horseshoes on at all, my speed decreases to 11,48 km/h.

s5k74x.jpg

Sorry in advance if this topic has already been brought up by somebody else or if my testing was not made correctly.

can you test on an individual horse and state if it has traits or if you are carrying weight?

Would be nice to know if there is any difference in WO versus WU, though i suspect the same formula is used

copied from (me) http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/135055-tests-to-learn-the-uncertain-things/&page=2 the horse trait meanings are above in that thread 

(max(10, saddle ql)/1000) + (woa/2000) + ( .03 * rarity)
foreach horseshoe 
+= (max(10, hosreshoe ql)/2000) + (woa/2000) + ( .03 * rarity)

Hmm, that would seem to suggest that the difference between 50ql and 90ql horse shoes, all other things being equal, should be about 0.02 km/h per shoe.

Plugging the numbers from Savos' tests above in, the difference between the first setup (shoes on both horses) and the second (46ish ql shoes removed from 1 horse) should be about 0.073 km/h (since unequipped horses effectively have 10ql shoes), however the experimental difference is actually about 0.77 km/h.  So something missing there?  I'm assuming the WoA and rarity terms both come out as zero.

8 hours ago, Pandalet said:

I'm assuming the WoA and rarity terms both come out as zero.

The horseshoes are all non-rare and have no enchantments whatsoever.

Implies that the trait percentages are applied after the equipment?  I need to look at WU code now as had not considered the order, assuming that is the case.  Maybe i missed it do the horses have traits?  Are all of them well fed?

This test really is more towards speeds of geared horses on a cart. I'm not exactly sure how the game interprets hitched vs ridden horses but all of the testing above is for horses that are hitched to a cart... and this could even vary based on the vehicle(cart, wagon, ship transporter) along with the cargo in the vehicle... We really need to test those 3 along with a just a horse. 

EDIT: also if this testing was done on WU its not elligible to be on the wiki as the wiki is primarily for information tested and verified on Wurm Online.

Edited by thekraken

I am pretty sure he is testing in WO, i offered some details from WU to test against.  

My suggestion for full test is take 2-4 horse make sure they do no have any traits at all.  Hitch them as thekraken says to cart, wagon (2 horses, and then 4 horses), and transporter; then run three times each across say ten tiles of a perfectly flat surface (ensuring they are feed and everything before and between each test).   That will be your baseline and validated baseline.  Then it is V&V (verify and validate); repeat the triple runs with variations of equipment, if you verify that horseshoes make a difference for cart and wagon and the difference is the same, then you can reasonably extrapolate that equipment will affect all vehicles, then you validate the hypothesis with a completely different ql of horseshoes.  Any discrepancy invalidates all tests unless you can determine the root cause.

To save you on the math there are websites that will allow you to plug in the numbers and will generate the polynomial that you can use to predict what a set of horseshoes should do; for example a Lagrange interpolation will work.

You guys also need to keep in mind that the mount speed reported by the WO/WU client may not be entirely accurate. I know I've seen crazy-wrong speeds on boats before, possibly as a passenger.

On 2/10/2016 at 3:10 PM, Ostentatio said:

You guys also need to keep in mind that the mount speed reported by the WO/WU client may not be entirely accurate. I know I've seen crazy-wrong speeds on boats before, possibly as a passenger.

that is from the client lagging behind the server, as long as the speed isn't spiking drastically the speed should be assumed to be accurate, we have no other information to base our speed of so we have to use the client speed.

Pretty sure someone else did a real complete test a while back and determined that the whole 50.70.90 thing was not true and that the speed increases as the ql and enchant increases on any shoe in any amount. You can probably search for it under town hall i think it was.